New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 154

post #2296 of 2805
Enjoying some quality time with the K812 and the Phonitor 2,(and a glass of Kendal Jackson) for good measure. I'm listening to a superb recording called, Recomposed By Max Richter, Vivaldi, The Four Seasons. This is nearly a complete reworking of this beautiful piece. The violinist is Daniel Hope and both the music and recording quality are sublime. The 812 does a beautiful job presenting the beauty of this music, in all it's splendor. If you have ever heard and enjoyed the original, you'll love this. If you have never heard it, you can sample it on the Deutsch Grammophone website, or on iTunes or YouTube.
post #2297 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Gott View Post

We will see what innovation this year afford. At the moment there is no question that HD800 and K812 are the best headphones.

+1
post #2298 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

Enjoying some quality time with the K812 and the Phonitor 2,(and a glass of Kendal Jackson) for good measure. I'm listening to a superb recording called, Recomposed By Max Richter, Vivaldi, The Four Seasons. This is nearly a complete reworking of this beautiful piece. The violinist is Daniel Hope and both the music and recording quality are sublime. The 812 does a beautiful job presenting the beauty of this music, in all it's splendor. If you have ever heard and enjoyed the original, you'll love this. If you have never heard it, you can sample it on the Deutsch Grammophone website, or on iTunes or YouTube.

Thanks for the tip, MacBob! Will go to the website to check it out and DL. smily_headphones1.gif looking forward to it.
post #2299 of 2805

I came back from a meet in Charlotte this weekend. I've been hesitant to post my new views on HD800 vs. K812 after hearing both through a wider variety of amps. Actually, I should rephrase it more as after hearing the HD800 through a wider variety of amps. I had planned to listen to both through various amps to determine where each stood. Unfortunately, this is what ended up happening:

 

I brought both headphones to mrspeakers table and tried both through his setup of Auralic Vega DAC -> Cavalli Liquid Glass. The K812 didn't sound too much different, but the HD800 became something else altogether with this setup. Details here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/10035#post_10476017

 

Needless to say, I ended up going to various setups to look for the same presentation with the HD800, and pretty much neglected the K812 the rest of the meet. I'm even tempted to sell my K812 to help fund the Liquid Glass. :eek:

 

However, I've given it more thought and that perhaps it has to do more with the different presentation, like going from 2-channel to a surround sound system, so it's quite technically the other setups such as HD800 with GS-X or the SR-009/BHSE is still technically superior in fundamentals, but just had a more traditional presentation, and things didn't jump out as much and thus didn't wow me. To be perfectly honest, after hearing the HD800 with the Liquid Glass, I was only looking to see if any other systems had the same effect and I stopped paying attention to anything else like transparency or tonality.

 

Despite pretty much not listening to the K812 to many different amps at the meet, I did get to spend some extended time with it paired with the Liquid Glass later that night. A couple of us including mrspeakers had dinner afterwards and we went to his hotel later and got to spend some more time with his Auralic Vega + Liquid Glass setup. He was interested in how the K812 sounded as well. He was found it hysterical that AKG copied his idea of including a headphone stand in the box :D. Here we mostly compared the K812 to the Alpha Dogs. I could hear through his setup, the K812 has some quirkiness in the treble, especially apparent in the frequency sweep test we did. There were at least two peaks and troughs. In fact, the Alpha Dogs were more flat in this regard. Through his setup, I felt the Alpha Dogs were competitive in sound quality to the K812, but the HD800 was above both in the same setup. He recommended that I try a ring felt mod to potentially dampen the reflection of the waves that could be causing the treble quirkiness.

 

So for me, from the setups I've heard with each headphone, I find the HD800 to be vastly superior to the K812. Of course, this is not a fair assessment considering I didn't get to try the K812 with many setups, and I could be simply wowed by first impressions of the Liquid Glass with the HD800. Like I said, right now the impression of the HD800 on mrspeakers' setup is better than my impression of the SR-009 with BHSE. The Liquid Glass and HD800 pairing definitely warrants a more extensive listen for me.

post #2300 of 2805

Alex's Liquid Glass is a sweet piece of kit!

post #2301 of 2805
appreciate your honesty sonido. the hd800 is supposed to scale well and looks like you've experienced that first hand.
post #2302 of 2805

It makes no sense to compare a closed back with an open can. My Audeze LCD-XC is also amazing in it's own way. But when it comes to natural and neutral airier sound the AKG 812 is the champion. I agree the HD800 is amazing with XLR on my Bryston. But man the 812 beat them especially in the bass department and natural sound. In the end the distance is very short for me. You can live with both of them. You also can live with a T1. None of them is the absolute champion in every category!

post #2303 of 2805
dunno about that. think the th900 can be compared to other totl cans open and closed.
post #2304 of 2805
I used to think closed couldn't match open, possibly because I didn't enjoy closed models (including TH900). Recently, I was a tester for one I really enjoyed, and it changed my mind. But I can ask the same rhetorical question about closed as before: if you can't compare them, what's the point? Only now it isn't rhetorical anymore.
post #2305 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

 

Nice impression Sonido. Looks like you had a great time. Man I wish I could have been there. That Vega DAC has me drooling. I just wish it was half the price to bring it within my budget. Funny how rarely people mention that the LIquid Glass is a good match for the HD800. People normally say that amp is for planars, perhaps it was the synergy with the Vega + LG that created some magic? Or it just hasn't gotten the credit it deserves. It's too bad the K812 did not fair better.

post #2306 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Gott View Post
 

It makes no sense to compare a closed back with an open can. My Audeze LCD-XC is also amazing in it's own way. But when it comes to natural and neutral airier sound the AKG 812 is the champion. I agree the HD800 is amazing with XLR on my Bryston. But man the 812 beat them especially in the bass department and natural sound. In the end the distance is very short for me. You can live with both of them. You also can live with a T1. None of them is the absolute champion in every category!

 

Totally agree! The T1 and 812 do have great synergy with the Bryston.

post #2307 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Gott View Post
 

It makes no sense to compare a closed back with an open can. My Audeze LCD-XC is also amazing in it's own way. But when it comes to natural and neutral airier sound the AKG 812 is the champion. I agree the HD800 is amazing with XLR on my Bryston. But man the 812 beat them especially in the bass department and natural sound. In the end the distance is very short for me. You can live with both of them. You also can live with a T1. None of them is the absolute champion in every category!


I thought that until I heard both versions of the R10, I found them the best dynamic headphones I've heard bar none. I'm still waiting to hear a dynamic to match or surpass the R10s. The HD 800 and K812 do come close, but still aren't quite there yet.

post #2308 of 2805
I was at the same meet as Sonido and got a chance to listen to his K812 as well, though not on the liquid glass. It is indeed very efficient and extremely comfortable. Overall, I enjoyed it but as has been stated, there was an oddness about the sound I couldn't quite pinpoint. But I don't think it was treble related. I could tell the slight "tizziness" that has been noted but it seemed rather distant on recordings, rather than in your face so it didn't bother me too much. I think my issue is resonance related though, almost like a hall effect or something. This is coming from being now conditioned to my K712 which don't have this problem. The K712 is noticeably drier (which is a positive in this way)

On the other hand it does some things (or rather one thing in particular) better than any dynamic headphone I've heard. It's difficult for me to describe, but it's something about the sound images and the way they are separated and positioned in free floating space. It's actually really phenomenal in that regard. Almost electrostatic like. I still prefer the HD800 on a good setup overall but I'd still consider this a top flight headphone. It likely could benefit from some strategic felt dampening. And I absolutely love the pads and build quality. I still need a chance to listen to the HE-560 before I decide to upgrade from my K712. I heard the HE-500 finally at that meet but considered it more of a sidegrade. All else fails I'll just go back to the HD-800 once again. From what I've heard I'd currently consider the K812 #3 of my preferred headphones, after the HD800 and HE-6 (both properly driven).
post #2309 of 2805
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post

I was at the same meet as Sonido and got a chance to listen to his K812 as well, though not on the liquid glass. It is indeed very efficient and extremely comfortable. Overall, I enjoyed it but as has been stated, there was an oddness about the sound I couldn't quite pinpoint. But I don't think it was treble related. I could tell the slight "tizziness" that has been noted but it seemed rather distant on recordings, rather than in your face so it didn't bother me too much. I think my issue is resonance related though, almost like a hall effect or something. This is coming from being now conditioned to my K712 which don't have this problem. The K712 is noticeably drier (which is a positive in this way)

On the other hand it does some things (or rather one thing in particular) better than any dynamic headphone I've heard. It's difficult for me to describe, but it's something about the sound images and the way they are separated and positioned in free floating space. It's actually really phenomenal in that regard. Almost electrostatic like. I still prefer the HD800 on a good setup overall but I'd still consider this a top flight headphone. It likely could benefit from some strategic felt dampening. And I absolutely love the pads and build quality. I still need a chance to listen to the HE-560 before I decide to upgrade from my K712. I heard the HE-500 finally at that meet but considered it more of a sidegrade. All else fails I'll just go back to the HD-800 once again. From what I've heard I'd currently consider the K812 #3 of my preferred headphones, after the HD800 and HE-6 (both properly driven).


Yes--a properly driven HE-6 is an outstanding headphone.  With the body it offers in its sound signature, it is an excellent complement to the HD 800.

 

I also agree that the sound stage of the K 812 is a major strength.

post #2310 of 2805
I also agree that the sound stage of the K 812 is a major strength.
[/quote]

Would you rank the soundstage of the K812 between the HE6 and the HD800 ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum