New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 148

post #2206 of 2777
I'm not gonna argue cables even though I'm personally on the skeptic side of things. But I will point out something absurd like doing 4 wires when the input and output only fits 3, and the ground is shared. The cable itself may be better than stock, but not because it has 4 separate wires. If you took two of these cables, one with 3 wires and one with 4, there should be no difference. The reason anyone hears a difference is perhaps the better quality of this cable over stock, not because it uses 4 separate wires over 3. Not in this case of shared ground TRS unbalanced anyways. The only objective difference is that the ground gets a thicker wire relatively because it gets 2 wires, assuming all 4 wires are of the same thickness. But once again it would be the same as a 3 wired cable with a doubly thick ground. And I really don't think a thicker ground makes a difference in this application. The signal takes the path of least resistance so likely a lot of that extra cabling is just wasted. So attribute the sonic difference to the quality of the cable itself, not the fact an unbalanced cable comes with 4 wires.
post #2207 of 2777

Agreed, Sonido, on the cable being better quality than stock. The other observation being that copper does seem to do a better job here than silver. That's my comparison between the two replacement cables I have at hand.:atsmile:

post #2208 of 2777

I think Kiats and I both agree with you. But like you said, it doesn't hurt to have 4. It might make no difference however. But yeah the better quality of cable + gauge might lead to better transmission of signal. Notice how I used words like "might".

 

I think being a skeptic will only last until your first aftermarket cable. That's how it was for me. Once you hear it, it's hard to go back to stock of anything. Not saying the difference is massive, but it's certainly nice to have as that extra cherry on top for a flagship.

post #2209 of 2777

If we were all in the same locale or reasonable vicinity, I'd say let's all get together for some coffee and bites and have a listen to my new amps and my cans, cables and all. :atsmile:

post #2210 of 2777

So I'm revisiting a side by side comparison of HD800 and K812 right now. Running through my Questyle amp. After 200 hours of burn-in, I have to say upon first listen, the two headphones sounded remarkably similar. The K812 comes off more lively, and the HD800 has more intimate and smoother vocals. Right now just listening to pop/rock, and both plays off their strengths. The drums, guitar, and instrumentation of rock songs sound better from the K812, but the vocals are superior from the HD800.

 

I'll listen to some classical/orchestral music later and give my updated impressions. Always nice to take out factors like new toy bias and burn-in in reviews.

post #2211 of 2777

Wow that's great news for us K812 fans Sonido. I think playing at the HD800 level is pretty impressive, especially on an amp voiced and built for the HD800.

post #2212 of 2777

Thanks for the impressions, Sonido! Will roll out the HD 800 for comparisons this weekend. :tongue_smile:

post #2213 of 2777

So with classical, HD800 still reigns supreme because of its larger soundstage and because of that more open and slightly more refined sound. The imaging is also better, probably because of the larger space, or perhaps angled drivers. That said, I'm being nitpicky here more than anything else. I maintain the most audible difference between the two comes in genres like rock music. Whenever there are drums or bass, the K812 proves to sound better and livelier, whereas the vocals of the HD800 sound silkier and more natural to me. Still, overall these two headphones are sounding more similar than different to me.

post #2214 of 2777

I'm really liking the impressions of the K812 and the HD800. Kee 'em coming guys (and thanks).  I had a chance to listen to them at the last Toronto meet and came away impressed. A meet environment is not the best from what I'm reading, my initial impressions are in line.  Given the lesser amplification requirements than the HD800 and even if they're pretty close, this may be my next HP.  

Following this thread with interest.

post #2215 of 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

My long awaited Toxic Cables Black Widow has arrived! Can't wait to get home to try them out! smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, that thing even looks like a black widow! Look forward to your impressions brother.
post #2216 of 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

So I'm revisiting a side by side comparison of HD800 and K812 right now. Running through my Questyle amp. After 200 hours of burn-in, I have to say upon first listen, the two headphones sounded remarkably similar. The K812 comes off more lively, and the HD800 has more intimate and smoother vocals. Right now just listening to pop/rock, and both plays off their strengths. The drums, guitar, and instrumentation of rock songs sound better from the K812, but the vocals are superior from the HD800.

I'll listen to some classical/orchestral music later and give my updated impressions. Always nice to take out factors like new toy bias and burn-in in reviews.
That's a great description on what I hear withe the 812 and 800. They are both marvelous sets of cans, beautifully engineered and well made. The only difference I have with your summary is that to my ears, the 812's do great justice to vocals. But I could and do listen to both of them.
post #2217 of 2777
On another note I returned the Lehman Linear SE thinking the Phonitor 2 was about 2 weeks from delivery, unfortunatly they are still on back order in the US, with no firm ship date So now I find myself amp less and feeling a little up the creek. I only have myself to blame, but this is for the birds. I've been using the 812 with my Sony ES reciever, but that's not cutting it. Oh well!
post #2218 of 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

On another note I returned the Lehman Linear SE thinking the Phonitor 2 was about 2 weeks from delivery, unfortunatly they are still on back order in the US, with no firm ship date So now I find myself amp less and feeling a little up the creek. I only have myself to blame, but this is for the birds. I've been using the 812 with my Sony ES reciever, but that's not cutting it. Oh well!


Very sorry to hear this macbob. I hope your Phonitor 2 comes soon.

post #2219 of 2777
Thanks M13, sounds like the horrible wait you had for your replacement K812's. I've been toying with the idea of buying some cheap Schitt Amp, like the Vali or the Magni. Anyone tried these with the 812? If it sounds reasonable good, I could use it till the Phonitor eventually shows up.
post #2220 of 2777
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

Thanks M13, sounds like the horrible wait you had for your replacement K812's. I've been toying with the idea of buying some cheap Schitt Amp, like the Vali or the Magni. Anyone tried these with the 812? If it sounds reasonable good, I could use it till the Phonitor eventually shows up.


From what I heard the Vali has some issues with noise on lower ohm headphones, so that may be a no go. Other cheap hybrid amps may work, but they would probably need some tube rolling. Not sure how the Magni would sound on the K812 as I haven't heard that combo.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum