New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 147

post #2191 of 2854

Sounds good Kiats. I'm a copper man myself. I like good thick gauged copper over any kind of silver mix.

 

Btw, are both Toxic and DHC using real LEMO connectors or some kind of substitute?

post #2192 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Sounds good Kiats. I'm a copper man myself. I like good thick gauged copper over any kind of silver mix.

Btw, are both Toxic and DHC using real LEMO connectors or some kind of substitute?

Indeed, M-13! And I think the 4 wire does help in the transmission of details. This is one case where the silver may change the character of the drivers, which you and I like as is. Yes, both seem to be using LEMO connectors.
post #2193 of 2854
M-13, I believe Frank did the same cable in 6 feet when he did my 8 footer. He may still have it, in which case you can have instant gratification... smily_headphones1.gif
post #2194 of 2854
M-13, photo of the BW on the AKG K812. Pardon the photography. smily_headphones1.gif

post #2195 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

M-13, photo of the BW on the AKG K812. Pardon the photography. smily_headphones1.gif


Wouldja look at that! bigsmile_face.gif
post #2196 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

Wouldja look at that! bigsmile_face.gif

Now that's what we would call a proper cable, eh, Claritas? Is anyone from AKG paying attention? smily_headphones1.gif
post #2197 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Now that's what we would call a proper cable, eh, Claritas? Is anyone from AKG paying attention? smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely right. You got my attention. bigsmile_face.gif
post #2198 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

M-13, photo of the BW on the AKG K812. Pardon the photography. smily_headphones1.gif

:eek:

 

OMG I was not ready for that kind of porn in the morning. I'm drooling right now and I already had my breakfast and coffee.

 

I will get in touch with Frank and see what he can do for me. I was actually not interested in Toxic but your cable...

post #2199 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post

Absolutely right. You got my attention. bigsmile_face.gif

Indeed! Something which a flagship can deserves. Brings out the best that the 812 has to offer. No more bottleneck at the cable. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2200 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

eek.gif

OMG I was not ready for that kind of porn in the morning. I'm drooling right now and I already had my breakfast and coffee.

I will get in touch with Frank and see what he can do for me. I was actually not interested in Toxic but your cable...

Heheh! Apologies for the rude wake up call, M-13. But I can tell you that the BW sounds even better than she looks. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2201 of 2854
What's the point of four separate cables when the TRS end and the headphone end both only take three. Sorry, I'm personally very skeptical on cables as is, and claims where having more cables than the input and output makes a difference isn't helping the cause. By that logic, why not fit 6 or 8 smaller separate cables to further improve things? Only reason I can see having four separate cables is better than three is for balanced headphones where the cabling performs a practical purpose. And we all know the greatest insecurity any fervent K812 supporter has deep in their hearts is the fact K812 doesn't support balanced.

Careful guys. We're getting closer to Coconut Audio.
post #2202 of 2854

Hey Sonido!

 

Yes, the cable issue can be divisive. In any event, I'm not married to the idea that a cable change will always work wonders. Some cables don't seem to make a difference. In other cases, for example my Beyerdynamic T1 (which is modded with mini-XLR connectors) seems to have best synergy with the stock cable.

 

On another note, now that we seem to have more owners of the AKG K812:

 

a. What is the general feeling in respect of the troublesome treble issues? I know that MacBob and I, as early adopters, didn't experience that problem; and

b. Any views on the combination with amps?

 

I recently added a Bryston BHA-1 and then a Woo Audio WA-2 to my desktop rig. The interesting observation I have is that the HD 800 and Beyer T1 seem to be relishing the extra driving power of the Bryston. In particular, the Beyer T1 seems to be really scaling up. However, the 812, while displaying material improvement, seems to be more immune to the change.

 

Has anyone else had this experience? :L3000:

post #2203 of 2854

I should add that since using it at work everyday since about a month ago, I've put in plenty of hours into my pair. I always used it at low volumes, so the treble issue I've experienced was not apparent. Well, today I took it home and played it from Questyle amp that did not play well with the K812 due to the treble before. Well either it's physical or brain burn-in, even at loud volumes it sounds fine now and no longer has those treble issues from before. I definitely recommend burning these in for a few hundred hours. :o

post #2204 of 2854

I also recommend 200 hours with them. I actually think they sound better louder. :tongue:

 

Treble issues? Nah... I say it's a non-issue (personally). It's very well balanced but the upper-mids are not dead-linear, there are minor peaks and valleys, but very VERY minor, almost sounds linear in most scenerios. This is only in comparison to something like the FSP, it's almost as linear as the HD600, which is "good enough".

 

What can I say? This thing is more transparent and resolving than the LCD-2/HE-500 while also being better balanced and closer to neutral. It's got insane pitch definition or what people call "texture". Most apparent in the bass where it's very textured, layered, resolving, while hitting deep and hard. Probably the best quality bass I've heard, and that's coming from the LCD-2. I also think it's very precise and has great focus to the music and the transient response and decay is lightning quick, giving me insanely fast attacks and pitch black background as the decay is also just as quick.

 

Yeah, anyway that's the end of my fanboy comments. Haha. :L3000:

 

As for cables. Sonido, wait till you get some aftermarkets for your HD800. You'll be in for a treat. ;) Haha, you'll probably get obssessed with it and order one for all your other headphones.


Edited by M-13 - 4/9/14 at 5:00pm
post #2205 of 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 

I should add that since using it at work everyday since about a month ago, I've put in plenty of hours into my pair. I always used it at low volumes, so the treble issue I've experienced was not apparent. Well, today I took it home and played it from Questyle amp that did not play well with the K812 due to the treble before. Well either it's physical or brain burn-in, even at loud volumes it sounds fine now and no longer has those treble issues from before. I definitely recommend burning these in for a few hundred hours. :o

 

Indeed! what I have noticed is that running the 812 out of a tube amp produces very nice results. I was on the new 812 combo last night listening a Chinese singer who has a wide vocal range and can be a wee bit screechy on some set ups, but the 812 breezed through it. I'll be on the 812 most of the time for the next week or so while I burn in the BW. I'll report any treble issues if they arise.

 

One of my current consultancy, where I sit in the very quiet wing with the senior management, comes to an end this month. My other consultancy involves mainly working remotely. So, next month onwards (until the next gig that requires me to be in some quiet office) I can happily blast my 812s with wild abandon at home. :atsmile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum