- 548 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K812tagged by Ra97oR, 10/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 3/20/15 at 11:55pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812 Last post on 12/30/14 at 1:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
AKG K812 Pro - Page 143
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've been listening to a ton of music with the 812 and the Lehmann Audio Linear SE. Now that things have really settled in, I'm now realizing the full potential and promise of the AKG K812. Right now I'm listening to a wonderful remastered recording go Bassist Brian Bromberg's, "It's about Time" cd, featuring Freddie Hubbard on trumpet and Ernie a Watts on sax. This is an all acoustic affair. Big, wide well produced soundstage. Instruments sound truly lifelike. Bass is very deep, with a solid sense of depth and space. The piano sounds utterly superb, the trumpet and sax rip, roar and soar. The drum not only sounds big and powerful, but you can feel it. This is everything Zi hoped for and expected on the 812. I tried this same cd with my 812,(which also pairs extremely well with the Lehmann), but it just couldn't deliver thr speaker like performance and presentation of the K813. No contest on this one!
Earlier I feasted on the superb , newly released 40th anniversary recording of Elvis, Recorded Live in Memphis. This was beautifully remastered, and the Presley band,( 30 musicians altogether) roared to life on this 1974 concert performance.
Elvis's voice was in peak form. Every element of the band, from orchestra to backup singers, was presented in great detail. The K812 delivered up the full Elvis Presley Show damn near as if I was there. Great performance and cd, rendered in superb fashion by the 812. No tizzyness, no harshness, and no distortion on any level I could detect, just pure musical bliss.
I had a chance to see and hear the SPL Phonitor2 this past weekend at the SoCal HeasFi Meet. I didn't bring any cans so I listened to their demo pair, the Audeze LCX closed back version. That was very impressive. I previously owned the LCD 3 but sold them when I grew dissatisfied with them. But these new one's sounded really good with the Phonitor2. They are still on back order in the US, but after seeing it and hearing it I decided to return the Lehmann Audio Linear SE, thanks to Amazons 30 day return policy.
Now I'm back to square one, playing the waiting game.
short honeymoon man
Although this is not a DAC thread I feel to point out that the analog performance of that card is pretty good. Did a comparison of Essence STX 2CH analog out vs. Corda Daccord and the Daccord was better by only a small margin. As far as heaphone amplifier performance goes some say that the STX has problems with low impredance headphones but don't know if this is a common issue or if it applies to K812 Pro directly. If you get the upgrade bug you could consider getting a desktop heaphone amp, I really liked my "STX 2CH analog out & Corda Classic" combo with the K812 Pro, especially since the Classic has a nice crossfeed feature.
Well I don't think headphones have really improved over the years after listening to many older phones. The two best headphones I have ever heard are the Orpheus and the R10 and they are much older than the HD 800 and K812. The SR-009 is the only headphone I heard that truly competes with the flagships of the past.
If they really wanted to help, they could start with a better cable.
But I'm a patient man, so I can wait another 10 years for my favorite big firm to make improvements. I have plenty to listen with in the meantime.
- AKG K812 Pro
- › Sennhiser Amperior vs HD25 vs AKGk545 2 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 22 seconds ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Colorfly C10 - Colorfly Is Back! 2 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 2 minutes ago
- › ZMF x Vibro & ZMF Blackwood Discussion Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › WAV Sounds The Best (To Me) 3 minutes ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 4 minutes ago
- › Buying a used DAP 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser CX 880 Premium Ear Canal Headphones by interpolate
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Paulus XII
- › MKLL M-1 in-ear monitor by Hisoundfi
- › OPPO PM-3 by Za Warudo
- › DUNU DN-2000J by Brooko
- › Null Audio Vitesse Copper Cable by MikePortnoy
- › Aune B1 by Cotnijoe
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by WifiWizard
- › AKG K612 PRO Reference Studio Headphones by rigodeni
- › RHA MA750 by fableofgod
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2