- 548 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K812tagged by Ra97oR, 10/18/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 2/25/15 at 3:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 2/13/15 at 9:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- COMPARISON / REVIEW: A tale of two flagships (part deux) – Beyerdynamic T1 vs AKG K812 Last post on 12/30/14 at 1:54am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
AKG K812 Pro - Page 143
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I've been listening to a ton of music with the 812 and the Lehmann Audio Linear SE. Now that things have really settled in, I'm now realizing the full potential and promise of the AKG K812. Right now I'm listening to a wonderful remastered recording go Bassist Brian Bromberg's, "It's about Time" cd, featuring Freddie Hubbard on trumpet and Ernie a Watts on sax. This is an all acoustic affair. Big, wide well produced soundstage. Instruments sound truly lifelike. Bass is very deep, with a solid sense of depth and space. The piano sounds utterly superb, the trumpet and sax rip, roar and soar. The drum not only sounds big and powerful, but you can feel it. This is everything Zi hoped for and expected on the 812. I tried this same cd with my 812,(which also pairs extremely well with the Lehmann), but it just couldn't deliver thr speaker like performance and presentation of the K813. No contest on this one!
Earlier I feasted on the superb , newly released 40th anniversary recording of Elvis, Recorded Live in Memphis. This was beautifully remastered, and the Presley band,( 30 musicians altogether) roared to life on this 1974 concert performance.
Elvis's voice was in peak form. Every element of the band, from orchestra to backup singers, was presented in great detail. The K812 delivered up the full Elvis Presley Show damn near as if I was there. Great performance and cd, rendered in superb fashion by the 812. No tizzyness, no harshness, and no distortion on any level I could detect, just pure musical bliss.
I had a chance to see and hear the SPL Phonitor2 this past weekend at the SoCal HeasFi Meet. I didn't bring any cans so I listened to their demo pair, the Audeze LCX closed back version. That was very impressive. I previously owned the LCD 3 but sold them when I grew dissatisfied with them. But these new one's sounded really good with the Phonitor2. They are still on back order in the US, but after seeing it and hearing it I decided to return the Lehmann Audio Linear SE, thanks to Amazons 30 day return policy.
Now I'm back to square one, playing the waiting game.
short honeymoon man
Although this is not a DAC thread I feel to point out that the analog performance of that card is pretty good. Did a comparison of Essence STX 2CH analog out vs. Corda Daccord and the Daccord was better by only a small margin. As far as heaphone amplifier performance goes some say that the STX has problems with low impredance headphones but don't know if this is a common issue or if it applies to K812 Pro directly. If you get the upgrade bug you could consider getting a desktop heaphone amp, I really liked my "STX 2CH analog out & Corda Classic" combo with the K812 Pro, especially since the Classic has a nice crossfeed feature.
Well I don't think headphones have really improved over the years after listening to many older phones. The two best headphones I have ever heard are the Orpheus and the R10 and they are much older than the HD 800 and K812. The SR-009 is the only headphone I heard that truly competes with the flagships of the past.
If they really wanted to help, they could start with a better cable.
But I'm a patient man, so I can wait another 10 years for my favorite big firm to make improvements. I have plenty to listen with in the meantime.
- AKG K812 Pro
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 10 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 46 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Support Thread 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › New to the audio scene and need help with what gear to pick 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Metrum Acoustics Aurix 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr 2 by bpandbass
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by cleg
- › OSTRY KC06A Hi-Fi In-Ear High Performance Earphones Headphones by xsuper
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by xsuper
- › Brainwavz Delta by vaziyetu
- › JVC Kenwood Victer Stereo Headphones Ha-sz1000 by Hawaiibadboy
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by pformagg
- › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H8 by Giogio
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-WS99BT Solid Bass Bluetooth Headphones by Giogio
- › Pangea Audio - USB cable - PCOCC & 4% silver - 1.5 Meter by davide256
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2