New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 141

post #2101 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

It's encouraging that some are able to take advantage of this feature. I pretty much listen only to CDs anyway, so I don't need mobility at home. It doesn't have the isolation I would need for work. So for me, it really has to stand or fall on merit, and not on add ons. And given the big disagreements about the sound and production quality (and the fact that there's a new flagship currently in beta mode but definitely in the wild), I want to wait till I hear it within the coming months. Still wish it had velour or K501 cloth earpads too.

 

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get to hear the AKG K812 and how it compares to the old flagships that you own. 

post #2102 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

Actually, Tyll commented on it somewhere saying (paraphrasing), "The cable proves that AKG isn't serious this time."

 

But, Claritas, the cable that came with my AKG K702 was similarly flimsy... So, I'm not sure what Tyll means when he says "this time" - AKG seems to like to use thin cables. Compare that with the stock cable that comes with the Beyerdynamic T1 where Beyerdynamic actually departed from their usual practice and sourced the cable from a specialist cable company.

post #2103 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

You'll be pleased with the BHA-1. I owned one for about a year and a half and used it with HD800s daily until I moved it out last fall expecting my GS-X mk2 to be arriving, which is still yet to come, unfortunately.

 

Maxvla, you are absolutely spot on! The BHA-1 has enough juice to drive all my cans so effortlessly while retaining such refinement. I agree - I am pleased, and I will be pleased for some time to come. :atsmile:

post #2104 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

But, Claritas, the cable that came with my AKG K702 was similarly flimsy... So, I'm not sure what Tyll means when he says "this time" - AKG seems to like to use thin cables. Compare that with the stock cable that comes with the Beyerdynamic T1 where Beyerdynamic actually departed from their usual practice and sourced the cable from a specialist cable company.


+1

 

All AKGs have this same flimsy cable. The K812 cable is not any worse than most of the stock I've seen from Sennheiser, Audez'e, Hifiman, Beyerdynamic. In fact I would rank it as very average cable with virtually no micorphonics and not bad for stock. It's just too long for me personally and thus I'm trying to pick a aftermarket cable. I wish they had included a 5ft cable with a angled plug as a extra but oh well. I guess it's going to be either DHC or Toxic unless Moon is about to launch something.

 

The LEMO connector used actually is quite highend feeling compared to mini-XLR. The only problem is that it cannot be made balanced, but it does have nice build to it.

post #2105 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

Looking forward to your thoughts when you get to hear the AKG K812 and how it compares to the old flagships that you own. 

 

Thanks. I am too. :bigsmile_face:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

But, Claritas, the cable that came with my AKG K702 was similarly flimsy... So, I'm not sure what Tyll means when he says "this time" - AKG seems to like to use thin cables. Compare that with the stock cable that comes with the Beyerdynamic T1 where Beyerdynamic actually departed from their usual practice and sourced the cable from a specialist cable company.

 

You're right, Kiats. I dislike the cable on K70x compared to K501 and the other older models I have and have tried.

post #2106 of 4085
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


After a few years of being wowed by IEMs I realized I'm just more of a headphone guy. I don't like sticking things in my ears or the presentation from tiny BA drivers. I think for portable use the Sig Pro or Spirit Pro is the best option for me or for those who aren't into IEM. Some people have health issues because of moisture build up/infection. For those who prefer IEMs to heapdhones the world is your oyster since there are so many highend ones out now, including universal ones.

I think you guys are misreading what I wrote. I'm not saying the K812 is a ultimate portable solution. rolleyes.gif  It's open-backed for crying outloud. What I'm saying is that it's a mobile flagship and that can be useful for some people in certain situations.

sure but having tried it i think it's portability is pretty limited like other full sized cans. that's where on-ears and earphones come in. personally i prefer wearing headphones to earphones too but earphones are ideal for portable use and they're more discreet. and i don't feel like i'm missing out on sound quality with the k3003. smily_headphones1.gif
post #2107 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


+1

 

All AKGs have this same flimsy cable. The K812 cable is not any worse than most of the stock I've seen from Sennheiser, Audez'e, Hifiman, Beyerdynamic. In fact I would rank it as very average cable with virtually no micorphonics and not bad for stock. It's just too long for me personally and thus I'm trying to pick a aftermarket cable. I wish they had included a 5ft cable with a angled plug as a extra but oh well. I guess it's going to be either DHC or Toxic unless Moon is about to launch something.

 

The LEMO connector used actually is quite highend feeling compared to mini-XLR. The only problem is that it cannot be made balanced, but it does have nice build to it.

 

M-13, I guess a 5 or 6 footer is what most people would use. For me, a 8 to 10 footer works just nicely because of the relative distance between my desktop rig and my listening easy chair. 

 

DHC and Toxic Cables do cables for the AKG K812. I'm just awaiting the arrival of my BW. Will post impressions when it arrives. As for Moon Audio, my last correspondence with Drew was that he was getting in some LEMO connectors and he'll be seeing what he can do with them. Watch this space, as they would say. :atsmile:

post #2108 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

M-13, I guess a 5 or 6 footer is what most people would use. For me, a 8 to 10 footer works just nicely because of the relative distance between my desktop rig and my listening easy chair. 

 

DHC and Toxic Cables do cables for the AKG K812. I'm just awaiting the arrival of my BW. Will post impressions when it arrives. As for Moon Audio, my last correspondence with Drew was that he was getting in some LEMO connectors and he'll be seeing what he can do with them. Watch this space, as they would say. :atsmile:
Hey Kiats. I'll probalby go with DHC, just because they will be faster than Toxic, unless they will include that beautiful snake a complimentary gift :atsmile:. I was hoping for Moon because they would be even faster. I guess I'll contact Drew one last time before ordering from DHC maybe he's got it figured out now.

 

When I was chained to my desktop rig my ideal length was 6 to 8 feet, but now that I'm "mobile" I would like my cable around 5 feet. Haha.

 

Btw, I have about 200 hours on the K812 now, and Oh My... everything I said +1. It's just more effortless, the edges of attack are bit smoother while having better focus making the whole presentation sound more "at ease" (smooth).

 

I'm very happy AKG made this terrible headphone for me. ;) 


Edited by M-13 - 3/24/14 at 6:24pm
post #2109 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

 

When I was chained to my desktop rig my ideal length was 6 to 8 feet, but now that I'm "mobile" I would like my cable around 5 feet. Haha.

 

Btw, I have about 200 hours on the K812 now, and Oh My... everything I said +1. It's just more effortless, the edges of attack are bit smoother while having better focus making the whole presentation sound more "at ease" (smooth).

 

I'm very happy AKG made this terrible headphone for me. ;) 

 

Heheh! I know what you mean - my friends tease me about my expensive "skipping ropes". ;p

 

Yes, it is lovely, isn't it? I recently tried the 812 with some trance music - Above & Beyond: very nice and it keeps pace very well. And with the Bryston BHA-1, and the added juice, everything is nicely in place. Happy camper here too. :L3000:

post #2110 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

Heheh! I know what you mean - my friends tease me about my expensive "skipping ropes". ;p

 

Yes, it is lovely, isn't it? I recently tried the 812 with some trance music - Above & Beyond: very nice and it keeps pace very well. And with the Bryston BHA-1, and the added juice, everything is nicely in place. Happy camper here too. :L3000:


Yeah something I noticed is that the K812 gives some really high quality bass. With great resolution, texture, extension. Just first class bass and is more resolving in the bass than the LCD-2, well across the board actually.

 

It's so transparent I'm thinking the K812 revealed the distortion in Tyll's measuring equipment. :tongue_smile: (I kid I kid for those without a sense of humor)

post #2111 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


Yeah something I noticed is that the K812 gives some really high quality bass. With great resolution, texture, extension. Just first class bass and is more resolving in the bass than the LCD-2, well across the board actually.

 

It's so transparent I'm thinking the K812 revealed the distortion in Tyll's measuring equipment. :tongue_smile: (I kid I kid for those without a sense of humor)

 

Agreed, M-13. Resolution and texture in bass is quite a rare quality. Especially when it sits with a great overall organic sig.

post #2112 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


Yeah something I noticed is that the K812 gives some really high quality bass. With great resolution, texture, extension. Just first class bass and is more resolving in the bass than the LCD-2, well across the board actually.

It's so transparent I'm thinking the K812 revealed the distortion in Tyll's measuring equipment. tongue_smile.gif (I kid I kid for those without a sense of humor)
I fully agree. I played a remarkable recording by Brian Bromberg titled "Wood", which is an all acoustic bass recording with minimal other instruments on various tracks. I could feel the hands slapping the strings and body of the bass, the deep,deep tones were just stunning, I have never heard anything quite like it from a pair of cans. Just incredible.
post #2113 of 4085

No, I am not misreading anything. If you say portable and mean only the fact that these are "great" sounding from any source then you, all together with AKG / Harman, are misleading people, because they are not. The sound was just mediocre from 2 portable Cowon players I own, which proves that AKG are still hungry and power demanding headphones. Agree, not as much as K701/702, but not far from it.

 

Regarding IEM's. Biggest issue most people have, is correct fit. A very good friend of my sent his IEMs 3 times back, because of that, took pretty long time, before they done it correctly. And yes, of course, you have to watch out for longer use of any headphones, especially IEM's, besides, they need to be cleaned all the time, to avoid such problems you described, its not just put in and do nothing when they got filthy. Not everyone have the patience for IEMs and go full size, as it is easier and, consider the customs price, also cheaper, however, you can end up with Ety's for that matter, which I did and even up here you have so called get used period, before you realize the advantage of them.

 

Again, we all differ and if you or anybody else think that K812 are great for portability, go ahead and have fun with it.

 

THX

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


After a few years of being wowed by IEMs I realized I'm just more of a headphone guy. I don't like sticking things in my ears or the presentation from tiny BA drivers. I think for portable use the Sig Pro or Spirit Pro is the best option for me or for those who aren't into IEM. Some people have health issues because of moisture build up/infection. For those who prefer IEMs to heapdhones the world is your oyster since there are so many highend ones out now, including universal ones.

 

I think you guys are misreading what I wrote. I'm not saying the K812 is a ultimate portable solution. :rolleyes: It's open-backed for crying outloud. What I'm saying is that it's a mobile flagship and that can be useful for some people in certain situations.

post #2114 of 4085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post
you, all together with AKG / Harman, are misleading people, because they are not.

Yes Blackmore, Harmon and I are unfolding our dastardly plot to deceive the world. Mu hahaha (cue evil music). :rolleyes:

 

Anyway. You seriously misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I don't know about Cowon or if the K812 sound awesome out of every source (did I say that somewhere? If I said this sorry), but what I can say is that it sounds pretty good from the lowly X3.

 

I don't know if you should tell everyone with ear infections that they have filthy ears or IEMs. It's actually just the shape of your ear canal that makes it more susceptible for moisture to build up or get trapped in from showers and or pool usage. For what it's worth I'm obsessive about cleaning my headphones, gear and IEMs, tips included. I clean them very often with wipes, doubles sided tape, and use appropriate brushes and tools that are included and have purchased numerous replacement tips. Aside from health issues I just don't like how IEMs present music. The scale of sound is tiny IMHO. It sounds like a rice sized speaker that's sitting in my ear... and I guess it is.

 

Not sure what made you think I have fit issues with IEMs. I don't. And I have extensive experience with IEMs going back to 2006. I bought my first SE530 back then, and bought the Triple-Fi 10 and Westone 3 upon their release as well, maybe a year or two later? I then transitioned to SE535/W4/UE900 and so yeah, trust me when I say I've had enough IEM experience to know that the sound really isn't for me and I think I may have figured out the fit thing once or twice.


Edited by M-13 - 3/24/14 at 9:39pm
post #2115 of 4085

Fair enough M-13.

 

Cheers

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum