or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 134

post #1996 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


The HD 800 and K812 have different soundstage presentations. I found the HD 800 had a wider soundstage which I personally found a bit exaggerated and causes it to lack a truly realistic sounding soundstage, the bigger soundstage puts more space between the sounds and makes it easier to dissect the details. I personally found quite a few headphones to top the HD 800 in terms of a natural soundstage experience. The K812 has a more natural and immersive soundstage to my ears and what I personally consider a more accurate soundstage of the two headphones.
Really? I find they are the only full size headphones that do. Everything else sounds like I'm listening to singers cut in half with them singing from left and right. The K812 is decent, but it's still a lot of left and right with not the best center.
post #1997 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post

I am a person that prefers the tube sound to the SS sound.
That's a stereotype that is sometimes true, but more often than not, untrue. Solid state can sound like tubes and vice-versa.
post #1998 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Really? I find they are the only full size headphones that do. Everything else sounds like I'm listening to singers cut in half with them singing from left and right. The K812 is decent, but it's still a lot of left and right with not the best center.

I never really got enamored by the HD 800 soundstage or sound in general, it always sounded a little off to me. I think it's simply a case of a headphone not agreeing with my ears. I have heard that problem with center focusing issues on numerous headphones, didn't really notice problems on the center image of the K812 though.
post #1999 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

That's a stereotype that is sometimes true, but more often than not, untrue. Solid state can sound like tubes and vice-versa.

I haven't heard a SS amp like that yet. Maybe although there is a bit of debate on the subject. Do you have a suggestion of a SS amp that emulates the tube sound properly?
post #2000 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


I haven't heard a SS amp like that yet. Maybe although there is a bit of debate on the subject. Do you have a suggestion of a SS amp that emulates the tube sound properly?


The Questyle definitely does not play into stereotype of a SS amp. It's not cold or analytical or sterile. While it's not super warm either, it has a level of intimacy I've not heard from a SS amp before, and there's definitely a "soul" to the music so to speak. This is with my HD800 anyways. With the K812 it's quite bland.

post #2001 of 4064
It's more the tube amps changing to SS than the other way around, but there are some. Tube amps are all over the place, from Leben-style syrupy/slow/thick to Eddie Current style fast/precise/delicate and all in between. In my opinion as a tube amp gets better, it turns toward the stereotypical SS sound like the Eddie Current amps have. Some of the expensive amps that sound Leben-esque are actually worse despite being more expensive. They may use boutique parts and check off all kinds of buzz words, but their design is not as good and the proof is the poor sound quality.

There aren't many SS amps that get to Leben territory. At most they sound warm, but still fast and detailed, if a little etched sometimes.

Something that might be worth a shot for the K812 is trying it on amps that have been historically good matches for K701 and its cousins. Despite the low impedance, the K701 and company have always sounded good on amps designed for high impedance phones like the M-Stage and various OTL tube amps among others.
post #2002 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

It's more the tube amps changing to SS than the other way around, but there are some. Tube amps are all over the place, from Leben-style syrupy/slow/thick to Eddie Current style fast/precise/delicate and all in between. In my opinion as a tube amp gets better, it turns toward the stereotypical SS sound like the Eddie Current amps have. Some of the expensive amps that sound Leben-esque are actually worse despite being more expensive. They may use boutique parts and check off all kinds of buzz words, but their design is not as good and the proof is the poor sound quality.

There aren't many SS amps that get to Leben territory. At most they sound warm, but still fast and detailed, if a little etched sometimes.

Something that might be worth a shot for the K812 is trying it on amps that have been historically good matches for K701 and its cousins. Despite the low impedance, the K701 and company have always sounded good on amps designed for high impedance phones like the M-Stage and various OTL tube amps among others.


I am aware the sonic differences between good high-end tube and ss amps closes, but I never found them to sound quite the same to my ears. I expected them to sound the same to my ears from what I read, but oddly they never quite did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


The Questyle definitely does not play into stereotype of a SS amp. It's not cold or analytical or sterile. While it's not super warm either, it has a level of intimacy I've not heard from a SS amp before, and there's definitely a "soul" to the music so to speak. This is with my HD800 anyways. With the K812 it's quite bland.

 

That is interesting how different it sounds so different in terms of soul on the two headphones. I think it's going to be a while before people figure out what all the best amp matches for the K812 are.


Edited by kman1211 - 3/12/14 at 6:25pm
post #2003 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 

That is interesting how different it sounds so different in terms of soul on the two headphones. I think it's going to be a while before people figure out what all the best amp matches for the K812 are.

Yeah kinda going on what Maxvla said as well, I found the Crack (OTL amp) to be a far better pairing for the K812 than Vali or Questyle.

post #2004 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post


Really? I find they are the only full size headphones that do. Everything else sounds like I'm listening to singers cut in half with them singing from left and right. The K812 is decent, but it's still a lot of left and right with not the best center.

 

This. The K812's soundstage is decent, but comparing it against an angled driver headphone it's a no contest.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


I haven't heard a SS amp like that yet. Maybe although there is a bit of debate on the subject. Do you have a suggestion of a SS amp that emulates the tube sound properly?

 

GSP Solo SRG-II / Ultra Linear. And (maybe) V200? not sure about this one though.

post #2005 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

That's a stereotype that is sometimes true, but more often than not, untrue. Solid state can sound like tubes and vice-versa.

Agree. If you have an opportunity to listen graham slee amps, they're ss but sound like tubes. Not sure if younger them in the US though. They're English.
post #2006 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

Agree. If you have an opportunity to listen graham slee amps, they're ss but sound like tubes. Not sure if younger them in the US though. They're English.

Oops. Autocorrect. Not if you get them in the US
post #2007 of 4064
[quote name="62ohm" url="/t/685339/akg-k812-pro/1995#


GSP Solo SRG-II / Ultra Linear. And (maybe) V200? not sure about this one though.
[/quote]

+1
post #2008 of 4064

And conversely, though kinda :deadhorse:, the Vali is a tube (hybrid) amp that sounds very solid state.

post #2009 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

Interesting Sonido, i'll be trying out the Questyle CMA800R as well at work on thursday cool.gif . I'll be able to compare the K812 and HD800's on various amps, but it all depends on how busy business is; it probably won't be very in-depth, but we'll be able to relate maybe.

I'll post here once the opportunity presents itself.
Any update on this? I can say now after a couple days with the Questyle, the K812 is a pretty meh pairing with the Questyle for me. Completely different story for the HD800.
post #2010 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


I never really got enamored by the HD 800 soundstage or sound in general, it always sounded a little off to me. I think it's simply a case of a headphone not agreeing with my ears. I have heard that problem with center focusing issues on numerous headphones, didn't really notice problems on the center image of the K812 though.

Unfortunately most SS amps don't sound natural with the HD800. Wait until you hear a pair with good synergy :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post


Any update on this? I can say now after a couple days with the Questyle, the K812 is a pretty meh pairing with the Questyle for me. Completely different story for the HD800.

I took the day off today because I had a date with a cute girl, and had an argument with my manager's business practices...

 

I'm working today, hopefully the dealer brings the whole line of Questyle to the store for me to critique. I'm really hoping he distributes their line if margins are fair. If he doesn't come today, it would probably go to next week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum