or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 132

post #1966 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

A good friend of mine just picked up the K812 and the astell&kern and he told me it sounds fabulous. I had my 812 hooked to a Lyr and a borrowed Asgard 2, but Lehmann Linear SE I'm using now definently improved the sound. As with all things audio, there is always the law of diminishing returns. Best approach is to set your budget and compare products that suit your tastes. Stick to the budget guideline and resist chasing the last ounce of improvement. Most of these improvements are incremental.

was there much of a difference between the schiit and the lehmann sound wise? do you think you could pick it in a blind test?
post #1967 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

was there much of a difference between the schiit and the lehmann sound wise? do you think you could pick it in a blind test?
I could absolutely pick the Lehmann over the Schitt in a blind test. No question about it. It's a stunning amp. I've been a huge Schitt fan from day one. I bought one of the early production models of the original Asgard. I went up their ladder over the years, to the Valhalla ,Lyt and Mjolinor which I used with the Audeze LCD3. I've recommended Schitt to several friends who have bought them and love them.
Sound wise, I was using a borrowed Schitt Asgard 2 just prior to the Lehmann. Prior to that my favorite amp was the Lyr.
The Asgard 2 sounded very good, but the Lehmann was just better sounding to me right out of the box. Much more detail, better soundstage, total grip on the bass. It just made everything more real to me.
post #1968 of 4064

Wow major update for me and the K812:

 

Found the best amp pairing so far. I'm absolutely shocked to say the least. On a whim I tried it with my Bottlehead Crack. I know from experience it's pretty terrible with low impedance headphones. I've tried my KEF M500 (32 ohms) before and you had to turn the volume way up to get much sound and it was very distorted and off. I found the K812 did not have this problem despite being at 36 ohms. It was pretty much just as loud as the HD800 (for the Vali, DC-1, and Questyle, the K812 was 5-10 dB louder). Right now I have the volume knob at 8 o'clock and it's around 80 dB.

 

Most strikingly, I found this pairing not to have the treble issue for me. It's far smoother and not edgy anymore. I could listen to 90 dB on Stereopony and while due to poor recording it's not pleasant sounding, it's not jarring either. It has the same softening effect the HD800 had. Just as I was typing that I even had to make sure I was wearing the K812 lol. Either it's the tubes of an OTL amp or the the supposed impedance mismatch, but that lower treble problem has been tamed. I recall a similar problem with accentuated treble of the T90 was somehow magically tamed as well through the Crack. But the T90 is a 250 ohm headphone and supposed to work well with the Crack.

 

The K812 really much be efficient to run well with an OTL amp. No wonder it's the king of running straight from portable devices. Doesn't need much power at all. I can say the K812 and Crack pairing is better than both Vali and Questyle. It's the first pairing that I can actually enjoy the music at high volumes without bleeding from my ears. Since the Crack is ubiquitous enough on this forum, I recommend everyone who gets these headphones and already have the Crack try the pairing before talking about treble problems.

post #1969 of 4064
fair enough mac. haven't compared head amps but was a/b'ing integrated amps last year and struggled to pick differences between them tbh. no probs with speakers tho.
Edited by up late - 3/11/14 at 10:27pm
post #1970 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post

Wow major update for me and the K812:

Found the best amp pairing so far. I'm absolutely shocked to say the least. On a whim I tried it with my Bottlehead Crack. I know from experience it's pretty terrible with low impedance headphones. I've tried my KEF M500 (32 ohms) before and you had to turn the volume way up to get much sound and it was very distorted and off. I found the K812 did not have this problem despite being at 36 ohms. It was pretty much just as loud as the HD800 (for the Vali, DC-1, and Questyle, the K812 was 5-10 dB louder). Right now I have the volume knob at 8 o'clock and it's around 80 dB.

Most strikingly, I found this pairing not to have the treble issue for me. It's far smoother and not edgy anymore. I could listen to 90 dB on Stereopony and while due to poor recording it's not pleasant sounding, it's not jarring either. It has the same softening effect the HD800 had. Just as I was typing that I even had to make sure I was wearing the K812 lol. Either it's the tubes of an OTL amp or the the supposed impedance mismatch, but that lower treble problem has been tamed. I recall a similar problem with accentuated treble of the T90 was somehow magically tamed as well through the Crack. But the T90 is a 250 ohm headphone and supposed to work well with the Crack.

The K812 really much be efficient to run well with an OTL amp. No wonder it's the king of running straight from portable devices. Doesn't need much power at all. I can say the K812 and Crack pairing is better than both Vali and Questyle. It's the first pairing that I can actually enjoy the music at high volumes without bleeding from my ears. Since the Crack is ubiquitous enough on this forum, I recommend everyone who gets these headphones and already have the Crack try the pairing before talking about treble problems.

I've always felt impedance matching was a bit overmphasized. I believe synergy is much more important. I found the absolute best amps for the K812 and AKGs in general were tube amps which I found odd because people tend to push SS amps for AKGs. Sennheisers in my experience usually sounded better on SS amps. I know I shouldn't generalize but it's just been what my ears told me.
post #1971 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post


I've always felt impedance matching was a bit overmphasized. I believe synergy is much more important. I found the absolute best amps for the K812 and AKGs in general were tube amps which I found odd because people tend to push SS amps for AKGs. Sennheisers in my experience usually sounded better on SS amps. I know I shouldn't generalize but it's just been what my ears told me.

 

thanks for your thoughts, kman1211 and Sonido. When I get home, I'll try out the tube amp I have which drives the AKG K702 very nicely.

post #1972 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post
 

 

Sonido, soundstage wise, I think the HD 800 will remain king. :) Which is why it is unparalleled for orchestral music.

 

Can you explain this more thoroughly (so that I understand this correctly) ? I gave the K812 Pro and HD800 both some listening yesterday (listened the same tracks on both headphones) and I thought that the K812 Pro sounded fuller and encompassed the sound better than the HD800. Simply to my ears there was "more of the good stuff" with the K812 Pro but I am not sure that this is what people refer as soundstage. The amp was Corda Classic.

post #1973 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiTK View Post
 

 

Can you explain this more thoroughly (so that I understand this correctly) ? I gave the K812 Pro and HD800 both some listening yesterday (listened the same tracks on both headphones) and I thought that the K812 Pro sounded fuller and encompassed the sound better than the HD800. Simply to my ears there was "more of the good stuff" with the K812 Pro but I am not sure that this is what people refer as soundstage. The amp was Corda Classic.


The HD 800 and K812 have different soundstage presentations. I found the HD 800 had a wider soundstage which I personally found a bit exaggerated and causes it to lack a truly realistic sounding soundstage, the bigger soundstage puts more space between the sounds and makes it easier to dissect the details. I personally found quite a few headphones to top the HD 800 in terms of a natural soundstage experience. The K812 has a more natural and immersive soundstage to my ears and what I personally consider a more accurate soundstage of the two headphones.


Edited by kman1211 - 3/12/14 at 3:56am
post #1974 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiTK View Post

Can you explain this more thoroughly (so that I understand this correctly) ? I gave the K812 Pro and HD800 both some listening yesterday (listened the same tracks on both headphones) and I thought that the K812 Pro sounded fuller and encompassed the sound better than the HD800. Simply to my ears there was "more of the good stuff" with the K812 Pro but I am not sure that this is what people refer as soundstage. The amp was Corda Classic.

MaxiTK, kman1211 has said it well: the HD800 spreads the sound very widely. It works for some music like a full orchestra, but for a lot of other music, having such a wide soundstage doesn't work as well. smily_headphones1.gif
post #1975 of 4064
HD800's driver is 60mm , K812's only 53mm.
Does it matter?
post #1976 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post

I've always felt impedance matching was a bit overmphasized. I believe synergy is much more important. I found the absolute best amps for the K812 and AKGs in general were tube amps which I found odd because people tend to push SS amps for AKGs. Sennheisers in my experience usually sounded better on SS amps. I know I shouldn't generalize but it's just been what my ears told me.
Up until 2 months ago I was using a Lyr to drive the Q701, K712 and HD800, and they all sounded great, lots of punch, dynamics and great detail. However, I didn't care for the Lyr with the K812. It would be great to hear from other head-fiers who have paired a tube amp with the 812.
post #1977 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post


MaxiTK, kman1211 has said it well: the HD800 spreads the sound very widely. It works for some music like a full orchestra, but for a lot of other music, having such a wide soundstage doesn't work as well. smily_headphones1.gif

 

This goes a bit OT so sorry: how much an amp has an effect here (with HD800 meaning) ? In my (short) listening tests I thought that the K812 Pro was very good here (with the assumption that I am really talking about soundstage), atleast on the same level as the HD800 or even better. It would be nice to hear some comments from people who have the Classic amp and both HD800 and K812.

 

Also I want to go back what I said about portable deviced how the K812 Pro suits them. I feel that I was too harsh in my prervious comments since my experience was only about one AV-amp which obviosly didn't work that well with the K812 Pro. Incidently the same amp also produced a weird low sounding humm into the HD800, no such things when using the Classic.

post #1978 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post


Up until 2 months ago I was using a Lyr to drive the Q701, K712 and HD800, and they all sounded great, lots of punch, dynamics and great detail. However, I didn't care for the Lyr with the K812. It would be great to hear from other head-fiers who have paired a tube amp with the 812.


It depends on the amp of course. I haven't heard the K812 on the Lyr, what tubes a tube amp has can drastically change how well it pairs with a particular headphone. The tube amps I heard the K812 on were the Eddie Current Balancing Act, WooAudio WA2, Hifiman EF-5, Red Wine Audio Cassabria, and a few others.

post #1979 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post


Up until 2 months ago I was using a Lyr to drive the Q701, K712 and HD800, and they all sounded great, lots of punch, dynamics and great detail. However, I didn't care for the Lyr with the K812. It would be great to hear from other head-fiers who have paired a tube amp with the 812.

 

After what was said today by kman1211 and Sonido, I went home and plugged into my Diva Goya (a tube amp designed for the AKG K702 in Singapore). OMG! Smooth and full sounding. Diana Krall never sounded so sultry as she breathed "Walk on by..." The instruments in Temptation on her The Girl in the Other Room album was full of timbre and very organic. :L3000:

post #1980 of 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiTK View Post
 

 

This goes a bit OT so sorry: how much an amp has an effect here (with HD800 meaning) ? In my (short) listening tests I thought that the K812 Pro was very good here (with the assumption that I am really talking about soundstage), atleast on the same level as the HD800 or even better. It would be nice to hear some comments from people who have the Classic amp and both HD800 and K812.

 

Also I want to go back what I said about portable deviced how the K812 Pro suits them. I feel that I was too harsh in my prervious comments since my experience was only about one AV-amp which obviosly didn't work that well with the K812 Pro. Incidently the same amp also produced a weird low sounding humm into the HD800, no such things when using the Classic.

 

I think Sonido did observe that in his case the HD 800 scaled up better with the amp he started using. For me personally, the K 812 is much more engaging and musical. I will always enjoy the HD 800, but in a different way from the K 812.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum