New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 114

post #1696 of 3103
Phonitor2 on deep back order. Since I sold my Lyr thinking I would have had the Phonitor2, that left me with an Asgard2 I borrowed from a friend. I've had it for two weeks now, so I needed to do something. The Lehmann Amps are also hand built in Germany and are well known for their quality.
On the Phonitor, several reviewers have noted that when the cross feed is engaged, the fidelity suffers somewhat. Also the Linear mates well with both the HD800 and K812.
So I pulled the trigger. I must admit I was looking forward to adding the sheer beauty of the Phonitor2 to my system, and by comparison the Linear SE looks pretty plain, but in the end it's about the sound.
post #1697 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

Phonitor2 on deep back order. Since I sold my Lyr thinking I would have had the Phonitor2, that left me with an Asgard2 I borrowed from a friend. I've had it for two weeks now, so I needed to do something. The Lehmann Amps are also hand built in Germany and are well known for their quality.
On the Phonitor, several reviewers have noted that when the cross feed is engaged, the fidelity suffers somewhat. Also the Linear mates well with both the HD800 and K812.
So I pulled the trigger. I must admit I was looking forward to adding the sheer beauty of the Phonitor2 to my system, and by comparison the Linear SE looks pretty plain, but in the end it's about the sound.

 

We look forward to your thoughts on the Lehmann BCL and the K812 and HD800. I had been offered a couple of times but hesitated.

post #1698 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

With flagship it's never easy to say there is a clear winner. One person's clear winner is another person's preference. What can be said about the K812 is that it's certainly worth a conversation, and that's great. And I think as the months go by with more and more comparisons, reviews pouring in, eventually with luck there might be some sort of a consensus about the K812 vs HD800 question.

 

As of right now, we don't even know what amps sound best with the K812. HD800 has been figured out already, and we know a number of amps that take the HD800 to the next level.

 

Phonitor 2 is on the table for discussion I guess for K812, but I haven't heard of anything else in particular having great synergy.

 

Agreed, M-13. Its the same as the question of Beyer T1 vs HD 800. Of course, that issue still divides. It may well be the case here as well. You hit the nail on the head: at the end of the day, for owners, which can has more listening time really depends on the owner's tastes and preference.

post #1699 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle 491 View Post
 

 

I heard distortion and excess energy around 3k that is indicated in the measurements on Innerfidelity. Maybe there is bad QC, or maybe your hearing isn't very acute in this region. But it's too early to say that people are "simply wrong". I will acquire a pair for myself and listen to demo units when they become available in the UK to get a better idea.

The measurements show distortion in the area >1000Hz of about 3% at 100db and with 90db they are below 1%. I don't think that everyone can hear it especially in 90db! When someone can hear distortion in the bass he or she must have bat ears :D 

post #1700 of 3103
dunno about the measurements or having bat hearing but the hd800 sounded cleaner than the k812 when i compared them. wasn't expecting that to be honest.
post #1701 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

dunno about the measurements or having bat hearing but the hd800 sounded cleaner than the k812 when i compared them. wasn't expecting that to be honest.

 

Yep, I heard peaky treble on the K812, and I auditioned it way before Tyll's review (December 2013)

post #1702 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

 

Yep, I heard peaky treble on the K812, and I auditioned it way before Tyll's review (December 2013)

I think what you describe with peaky treble is for me the very sharp focusing on details and this is for me one of the great features of the headphone. Seems that not everyone like it. 

post #1703 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance_Gott View Post
 

I think what you describe with peaky treble is for me the very sharp focusing on details and this is for me one of the great features of the headphone. Seems that not everyone like it. 

 

That could be what I heard, though I suspect the peaky highs came from the high distortion at 1.5kHz ~ 3kHz. Though Ironically, I found the bass which supposed to have pretty high distortion to sound sublime with plenty of punch.

post #1704 of 3103
the k812's highs didn't sound peaky or sharp to me just not as clean and defined as the hd800. the hd800 had more of a treble tilt tho.
Edited by up late - 3/6/14 at 2:44am
post #1705 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

the k812's highs didn't sound peaky or sharp to me just not as clean and defined as the hd800. the hd800 had more of a treble tilt tho.


Comparing the two is a bit hard because the HD 800 has more pronounced treble and a different presentation than the K812. Boosted treble can give the impression of more detail, cleanness, and refinement but that doesn't necessarily mean it's sound is inherently more refined or detailed. The two headphones are very different and take a different approach to present sound. Neither is necessarily better or worse than the other, which is viewed as better will simply depend more on the person. I personally thought the K812 was the more detailed and transparent headphone of the two, but that's really just my opinion.


Edited by kman1211 - 3/6/14 at 3:25am
post #1706 of 3103
sure we have different ears, likes and such. can only speak for myself when i say that apart from the hd800 having more of a treble tilt it sounded cleaner overall. that included the bass even tho the k812 had more of it. dunno if that's coz the hd800 has a better controlled driver that distorts less than the k812 but guess it could have something to do with what i was hearing.
post #1707 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

sure we have different ears, likes and such. can only speak for myself when i say that apart from the hd800 having more of a treble tilt it sounded cleaner overall. that included the bass even tho the k812 had more of it. dunno if that's coz the hd800 has a better controlled driver that distorts less than the k812 but guess it could have something to do with what i was hearing.

It's probably due to the HD 800's chassis more than the driver as the HD 800 housing design is all about reducing vibration and resonance caused by the driver which is one reason it leads to a clean sound, I found the treble tilt is another reason for that clean sound. I personally think the K812 has the better driver while the HD 800 has the better housing.
Edited by kman1211 - 3/6/14 at 3:50am
post #1708 of 3103
could be - i'll leave that to the geeks to figure out. wink.gif
post #1709 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman1211 View Post
 


Comparing the two is a bit hard because the HD 800 has more pronounced treble and a different presentation than the K812. Boosted treble can give the impression of more detail, cleanness, and refinement but that doesn't necessarily mean it's sound is inherently more refined or detailed. The two headphones are very different and take a different approach to present sound. Neither is necessarily better or worse than the other, which is viewed as better will simply depend more on the person. I personally thought the K812 was the more detailed and transparent headphone of the two, but that's really just my opinion.

 

I would believe that if many experienced reviewer said the same thing, but it seems that even Tyll thinks that the HD800 is more detailed than the K812, even though there are plenty to like from the K812.

post #1710 of 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by up late View Post

could be - i'll leave that to the geeks to figure out. wink.gif

True, although that's what the housing design is touted to be all about on the HD 800. The housing and dampening is just as important as the driver at times, sometimes moreso. While I don't like the HD 800 as it doesn't sound right to me and is a bit fatiguing to my ears I do appreciate it in it's own way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum