New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 92

post #1366 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiats View Post

I am glad that I am not the only one who doesn't hear the tizzy trebles. ;p
Me to.
post #1367 of 3125

From cucera's review: "I would not recommend the K812 as your sole headphone. For bad recordings you would need something more forgiving . . ."

 

This is an important consideration for classical as many of the greatest recordings are early, and even more for early jazz. The latter was usually poorly recorded for its day, so I suppose one should try a different model for it. But early classical records were usually recorded well, so would it depend on what you want to hear from the record?

post #1368 of 3125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

From cucera's review: "I would not recommend the K812 as your sole headphone. For bad recordings you would need something more forgiving . . ."

 

This is an important consideration for classical as many of the greatest recordings are early, and even more for early jazz. The latter was usually poorly recorded for its day, so I suppose one should try a different model for it. But early classical records were usually recorded well, so would it depend on what you want to hear from the record?


K812 is very forgiving comparing with likes of HD800. It is no 009 but won't stab you in the ears.

post #1369 of 3125

I don't know if anyone has posted this article yet but I would like to know whether you k812 owners here agree or disagree with the author's impressions.

 

http://www.nice-cans.com/page4/files/7304e5fbf2c61f9c8d7e731456147d46-33.html

post #1370 of 3125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aethelberht View Post
 

I don't know if anyone has posted this article yet but I would like to know whether you k812 owners here agree or disagree with the author's impressions.

 

http://www.nice-cans.com/page4/files/7304e5fbf2c61f9c8d7e731456147d46-33.html


While I agree with them being less smooth than LCD3s, he does make the detail from the K812 somewhat over blown.

 

The K812s are nicely detailed, but I don't find it anymore detailed compared to HD800 and other dynamics, a good 009 setup will gracefully shove it aside when it comes to detail. Not exactly the most ground breaking point of this headphone IMO.

 

Haven't heard it for a while now though, but hearing 009 a few days ago brings back the definition of detail.

post #1371 of 3125
You may be confusing effortless easy transmission of sound with detail. The former is where the SR-009 beats everyone (save HE-90), the later, not really. It is high on the list of detailed headphones, but hardly the definition.
post #1372 of 3125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

You may be confusing effortless easy transmission of sound with detail. The former is where the SR-009 beats everyone (save HE-90), the later, not really. It is high on the list of detailed headphones, but hardly the definition.


I do mean it, maybe it is not the easiest to extract detail, it doesn't pop in your face but it is all there. Not many headphones does it that well. I wonder what headphones you rate them more detailed than the 009 (with any good solid state energizer) as I would love to hear them myself.

 

As always, IMO.

post #1373 of 3125
Here is a measurement from a german magazine. It seems match with Tyll's measurement, though each used different compensation. Especially see the distortion, 812 has quite high distortion. Well, I auditioned it 3times, and frankly alway felt that it sounds spectacularly good. But th other day
I felt the voice sounds a little unnatural,
but not sure it is because of distortion.
post #1374 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotonge View Post

Here is a measurement from a german magazine. It seems match with Tyll's measurement, though each used different compensation. Especially see the distortion, 812 has quite high distortion. Well, I auditioned it 3times, and frankly alway felt that it sounds spectacularly good. But th other day
I felt the voice sounds a little unnatural,
but not sure it is because of distortion.

OK I agree partly with your voice impression. Some voices sounded sharp and tizzy to me, but it was not on every recording nad depending on the amp more or less pronounced.

Because many have asked about the tizzyness i described in the review here an explenation. When I critizeze the treble of the K812 I am not talking about the frequency ranke above 6KHz. This area is actually smoother than the HD800s presentation. But the 3KHz are too pronounced especially with a following 4.5KHz valley following. In german forums there were long diskussions about the K812 sounding metallic or not. Whell that is not the word I would use.

If you have an HD800 just add with an EQ 3dB to the 3KHz and reduce the 6 KHz by 1 dB and you will have a can that performs in the treble quite similar to the K812. The interesting thing is with this EQ setting the perceived resolution is higher too.
Edited by cucera - 2/22/14 at 11:12pm
post #1375 of 3125
At all people waiting for a cable replacement:

Why a cable replacement, if you have still 50cm of cable for the right side - inside the HP.
So you have to hear a difference between left and right channel with a replacement cable - otherwise it is just vodooo.
Good way to check your ears at https://www.goldenears.philips.com/ to verify if it is vodoo or not.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702404/philips-golden-ears-challenge
post #1376 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

Has anyone else paired the K812 with the Phonitor2, and if so would you agree or could you comment on your expirence as compared to nemomec's description above?

So in my opinion the SPL phonitor 1&2 are the best sounding AMP FOR K812!my SETTINGS to get GREAT LISTENING EXPERIENCE OF THE k812 are CROSSFEED 4/ANGLE 75/CENTER -1,2

REGARDS nomax
post #1377 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra97oR View Post


I do mean it, maybe it is not the easiest to extract detail, it doesn't pop in your face but it is all there. Not many headphones does it that well. I wonder what headphones you rate them more detailed than the 009 (with any good solid state energizer) as I would love to hear them myself.

As always, IMO.
In order:

Qualia 010
HD800
HE90
HE-6

In some ways:

SR-007 Mk1
UERM

Honorable mention:
K812
Edited by Maxvla - 2/23/14 at 1:07am
post #1378 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucera View Post

OK I agree partly with your voice impression. Some voices sounded sharp and tizzy to me, but it was not on every recording nad depending on the amp more or less pronounced.

Because many have asked about the tizzyness i described in the review here an explenation. When I critizeze the treble of the K812 I am not talking about the frequency ranke above 6KHz. This area is actually smoother than the HD800s presentation. But the 3KHz are too pronounced especially with a following 4.5KHz valley following. In german forums there were long diskussions about the K812 sounding metallic or not. Whell that is not the word I would use.

If you have an HD800 just add with an EQ 3dB to the 3KHz and reduce the 6 KHz by 1 dB and you will have a can that performs in the treble quite similar to the K812. The interesting thing is with this EQ setting the perceived resolution is higher too.
You are right. The problem of 812 is not at high-treble frequency, but at the middle part of it. But I start to think that the source of the problem is probally not just simple accentuation of 3khz, which is easily found in fr measurements of Tyll's, but also resonance and related high distortion in and around 3khz, which is more easily found in Tyll's and also in german one.
source of
post #1379 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotonge View Post

You are right. The problem of 812 is not at high-treble frequency, but at the middle part of it. But I start to think that the source of the problem is probally not just simple accentuation of 3khz, which is easily found in fr measurements of Tyll's, but also resonance and related high distortion in and around 3khz, which is more easily found in Tyll's and also in german one.
source of
There seems to be an interesting paradox at work here. So if multiple FR tests show this aberration in the high frequency, and some distortion in the lower bass, how is it that the K812 sounds so damn good? Even many people here on head-fi who have remarked on the test results, have also said how great they sound, and very,very few have heard any problems with the treble response in actual listening. Or the bass response for that matter. I'm not an engineer but it seems that one of the general rules in life is if it sounds really good, then it is.
In some of the recent posts we have also read that amping makes a difference in the high frequencys. My expirence with the 812 is just like other high end phones, it scales up and with the right audio chain spectacularly so.
post #1380 of 3125
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

There seems to be an interesting paradox at work here. So if multiple FR tests show this aberration in the high frequency, and some distortion in the lower bass, how is it that the K812 sounds so damn good? Even many people here on head-fi who have remarked on the test results, have also said how great they sound, and very,very few have heard any problems with the treble response in actual listening. Or the bass response for that matter. I'm not an engineer but it seems that one of the general rules in life is if it sounds really good, then it is.
In some of the recent posts we have also read that amping makes a difference in the high frequencys. My expirence with the 812 is just like other high end phones, it scales up and with the right audio chain spectacularly so.
Well, I respect your opinion, but i did a actual listening and I said earlier post that it generally sounds good but sometimes vocal sounds unnatural.
And I suggested that it may be because of high distortion.
There's no paradox here. I just said that 812 is not perfect headphines, which is obvious, and the measurement seems back my opinion.
And I think it is premature that only very
very few heard the problem and the rest of users are just raving every aspect of 812.
We don't have many 812 users yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum