or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AKG K812 Pro - Page 83

post #1231 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 


I sold my Q701 because of the strident treble, anemic bass, and thin mids, and the too distant presentation. The K812 has none of these flaws. The treble soars like silk, the mids are nice and full, without being too thick (LCD-2) and the bass is bottomless and hits deep, fast, and with authority, but not planar slam. There is no real big drawback, maybe minor quibble someone might have, or worse case they might get a lemon pair with distortion and ringing.

 

The biggest issue for me right now is the build quality, or the lack of quality control on mine. I noticed 2 small flaws. There is a splotch of glue on the inner plastic ring, underneath the earpad cushion. I tried cleaning this off using a soft wet towel, but it's hard as a rock. The second issue is that my right side earpad is rotated about an inch counter-clock wise from where the left side is. So I took off the pads and remounted them, same result, Swtiched pads to different side, and the issue still remained, still off alignment. I then noticed that that plastic attachment ring was mounted an inch or two counter-clockwise to the cup, so that is the cause of the problem and there is no solution unless I rip the plastic ring off and cup and somehow reattach it correctly.

 

I got dissapointed, contacted Brian at RazorDog and he's taking care of me 100%. I'm shipping mine back and he's sending out a replacement pair as soon as he gets some in stock. So I'm very sad, but also happy about how RazorDog is dealing with my issue. Thumbs up for Brian and another good reason to buy from him.

 

 

 

sorry to hear that you are having issues with your 812 as well, M-13. Hope you get your replacement pair soon!

post #1232 of 4053

Did anyone get a pair of K812s without any issues? 

post #1233 of 4053

Yes :-)

I have such.

post #1234 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baele View Post
 

Yes :-)

I have such.

That's good to hear. I was thinking of picking them up down the road, but all these "issues" have me re-thinking.

post #1235 of 4053
Maybe depends on s/n. Mine is 001690.
post #1236 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


I sold my Q701 because of the strident treble, anemic bass, and thin mids, and the too distant presentation. The K812 has none of these flaws. The treble soars like silk, the mids are nice and full, without being too thick (LCD-2) and the bass is bottomless and hits deep, fast, and with authority, but not planar slam. There is no real big drawback, maybe minor quibble someone might have, or worse case they might get a lemon pair with distortion and ringing.

The biggest issue for me right now is the build quality, or the lack of quality control on mine. I noticed 2 small flaws. There is a splotch of glue on the inner plastic ring, underneath the earpad cushion. I tried cleaning this off using a soft wet towel, but it's hard as a rock. The second issue is that my right side earpad is rotated about an inch counter-clock wise from where the left side is. So I took off the pads and remounted them, same result, Swtiched pads to different side, and the issue still remained, still off alignment. I then noticed that that plastic attachment ring was mounted an inch or two counter-clockwise to the cup, so that is the cause of the problem and there is no solution unless I rip the plastic ring off and cup and somehow reattach it correctly.

I got dissapointed, contacted Brian at RazorDog and he's taking care of me 100%. I'm shipping mine back and he's sending out a replacement pair as soon as he gets some in stock. So I'm very sad, but also happy about how RazorDog is dealing with my issue. Thumbs up for Brian and another good reason to buy from him.



Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post


I sold my Q701 because of the strident treble, anemic bass, and thin mids, and the too distant presentation. The K812 has none of these flaws. The treble soars like silk, the mids are nice and full, without being too thick (LCD-2) and the bass is bottomless and hits deep, fast, and with authority, but not planar slam. There is no real big drawback, maybe minor quibble someone might have, or worse case they might get a lemon pair with distortion and ringing.

The biggest issue for me right now is the build quality, or the lack of quality control on mine. I noticed 2 small flaws. There is a splotch of glue on the inner plastic ring, underneath the earpad cushion. I tried cleaning this off using a soft wet towel, but it's hard as a rock. The second issue is that my right side earpad is rotated about an inch counter-clock wise from where the left side is. So I took off the pads and remounted them, same result, Swtiched pads to different side, and the issue still remained, still off alignment. I then noticed that that plastic attachment ring was mounted an inch or two counter-clockwise to the cup, so that is the cause of the problem and there is no solution unless I rip the plastic ring off and cup and somehow reattach it correctly.

I got dissapointed, contacted Brian at RazorDog and he's taking care of me 100%. I'm shipping mine back and he's sending out a replacement pair as soon as he gets some in stock. So I'm very sad, but also happy about how RazorDog is dealing with my issue. Thumbs up for Brian and another good reason to buy from him.



Sorry to hear the bad news, I was hoping your pair were fine. I'm over 50 hours in on my replacement pair and they sound great. I gave mine a close look after reading your post but I haven't seen or heard any issues so far. Hope the 2nd pair work out.
post #1237 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Now that I have the SPL Phonitor2 on hand, I have to agree with Nomax.
After reading up on the Phonitor and the new 2 model, I decided to order these from SPL USA. They should be here in about 2 weeks. The video Jude posted also inspired me. This amp plays great with the AKG K812 as well as the HD800, which covers all my bases. Anyone interested in buying a Schitt Lyr or Mjolinor please PM me.
post #1238 of 4053
I have to admit I PM'ed NOMAX prior to ordering and he was very helpful. (No relation) that I know of!
post #1239 of 4053
The first time I ever had a problem with a new pair of headphones was with the Audeze LCD3. The right side driver failed within a week. Audeze replaced them ASAP, but after reading many other posts on Audeze quality issues I sold them,(after the return period expired). The K812 I returned developed a distortion problem in the right channel, which prompted a quick exchange for a replacement. My experience with various AKG models over the years has been excellent. I not worried at this point with the K812.
However I am concerned reading about M-13's quality issues. Let's hope AKG has this resolved and everyone gets what they should expect in a top quality phone, which should be exceptional sound and build quality.
post #1240 of 4053

Thanks

post #1241 of 4053

My S/N was 1813 for those interested. Hopefully I just got unlucky and a vast majority of them are built well and sound good. The earpads not lining up is such a strange problem. Never heard of it before, so I actually missed it for a few days. Something looked funny and I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought surely the pads are not attached correctly... but it turns out the attachment rings didn't line up and then I was like: :confused: 

 

For what it's worth Audez'e customer service is amazing. They really took care of me too, like Brian at RazorDog is doing for me right now. As long as I'm within the warranty period I wouldn't worry at all. Outside of it... maybe I'm a little nervous. Haha.


Edited by M-13 - 2/17/14 at 9:19pm
post #1242 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbob713 View Post

After reading up on the Phonitor and the new 2 model, I decided to order these from SPL USA. They should be here in about 2 weeks. The video Jude posted also inspired me. This amp plays great with the AKG K812 as well as the HD800, which covers all my bases. Anyone interested in buying a Schitt Lyr or Mjolinor please PM me.

Congrats macbob! Let us know how that beauty pairs up with the K812. :beerchug:

post #1243 of 4053
Has anyone modded these yet for balanced use, and if so, impressions please? Please list components used and compare and contrast to HD800 and LCD3.

Thanks!
post #1244 of 4053
I doubt anybody will do a balance mod soon as you would loose warranty on a brandnew phone.
post #1245 of 4053
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucera View Post

I doubt anybody will do a balance mod soon as you would loose warranty on a brandnew phone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ View Post

Has anyone modded these yet for balanced use, and if so, impressions please? Please list components used and compare and contrast to HD800 and LCD3.

Thanks!

 

I believe Peter over at Double Helix Cables did it on his. Apparently it's a bit of a b*TcH to do right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum