^^ Maybe in light of the story, someone from Senn would step up and offer some replacements.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 10/10/13
Related Forum Threads
- LCD-3's and Woo WA22....WOW! Last post on 12/3/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need A Balanced &/Or Single Ended Amplifier Around $2-$3K for the HE-500. Last post on 11/25/13 at 3:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for recommendations: balanced amplifier for high sensitivity headphones with preamp out... Last post on 11/24/13 at 7:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Which headphone to get? HD800 or T1? Last post on 11/19/13 at 12:12am in Headphones (full-size)
- K550 vs hd 800, dt880, hd380pro bass comparison? Last post on 11/15/13 at 12:51am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/28/12
The purple edition of this headphone is a hidden gem. Most people see me wearing these and assume I am some unacknowledged sheeple. While this is possible, I would attest to the argument that these...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the faint of heart - (You've been... - Page 18
Poll Results: "Guess that Smell..." - SPOILERS BE WARNED!!! Thankfully, "Smell-O-Vision" doesn't exist, so the voting will show everyone's favorite Theory!
31 Total Votespost #256 of 32910/20/13 at 7:20am
12% (4)Theory 1: "Estate Sale Closeout"... aka Rigamortis Funkubus
19% (6)Theory 2: "Death Bead Doorbuster"... aka killer sound
38% (12)Theory 3: "Musical Mortician Madness"
6% (2)Theory 4: "Z for Zennheiser - Z for Zombie"
9% (3)Theory 5: "Clean your ears folks!"... aka leprosy, bringing it back!
12% (4)Theory 6: "Taxidermy Treasure"
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #257 of 32910/20/13 at 8:08ampost #258 of 32910/20/13 at 10:11amThread StarterQuote:
That'd be nifty, but I plan to buy a new set of pads next payday. For the moment, I can certainly get by with the smell of fabric softener. Good suggestion though!Quote:
Thanks BMF! So anyway to incorportate smell into your next DVB series?
Holy crap, has it been that popular? I feel like I'm back in highschool!post #259 of 32910/20/13 at 11:01am
Hi mrscotchguy, even though English is not my first language, I can see some writing skills on your side. You made me lough more than once. Maybe you can write even better the more Scotch is involved. But that is a common practice among writers around the globe.... I want to thank you big time for letting a HD 800 be a star in a funny tragedy. I hope to read more stories from you feather.post #260 of 32910/20/13 at 1:33pm
I wonder if the previous owner was victim of a heart attack whilst listening...
Maybe the sound was too good and got his heart beating...
Or maybe whatever he was listening to was so real sounding, that he had to shoulder check and went into shock...
...post #261 of 32910/20/13 at 7:03pmpost #262 of 32910/21/13 at 12:21pmpost #263 of 32910/21/13 at 1:40pmThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by pietcux
Hi mrscotchguy, even though English is not my first language, I can see some writing skills on your side. You made me lough more than once. Maybe you can write even better the more Scotch is involved. But that is a common practice among writers around the globe.... I want to thank you big time for letting a HD 800 be a star in a funny tragedy. I hope to read more stories from you feather.
Thanks guys! I really enjoyed this fun project. I will be adding photos and updating little details while I do some editing over the next couple weeks.
There are those who would like me to post some impression beyond the smell and go into the sound. To that, all I can say is I consider myself a connoisseur not an audiophile. I try not to sound too poetic when describing gear. I know what I like and I know what I don't. So here goes... My HD800s sound like everything I've wanted in a headphone. Soundstage and separation is incredible. So far, I haven't experienced the "brightness" everyone screams about, but then again, I only listen a low levels. The real joy is the bass! Bass on the HD800s always seems to be tight, controlled, and full without the bloat I was used to with my Fischer FA-011s. To my ears, the only other competition (that'd I've had the opportunity to try) has been a well driven HE-6!. All that being said, I feel like I am still in the "new toy" phase so my impressions could be completely off-base. Call me impressed.post #264 of 32910/21/13 at 1:44pmpost #265 of 32910/21/13 at 2:26pmThread Starter
Originally, I was testing at Guitar Center with the AudioQuest DragonFly. I have been debating on what to upgrade to, so in the meantime, I am no longer using my Schiit Stack and have moved to just running the USB DAC on my PS Audio GCHA. I would have to say the GCHA's USB DAC is pretty much on par with the Gen1 Bifrost USB if not minutely better. I don't know what DAC I will be upgrading to. I am slightly embarassed to admit to this, but the HD800s sound pretty good just out of my iPad. Obviously, there's huge potential with proper equipment, but I'm very happy with my current setup. I will be able to comfortably take my time deciding on my next upgrade.post #266 of 32910/21/13 at 2:35pm
Wow. The hd800 is known to be one of the most amp picky out there. And also it scales amazingly well the better the source. With the right setup that hp would set your shorts on fire. Don't you want your shorts to be on fire?post #267 of 32910/21/13 at 2:47pmQuote:
Not with all those formaldahyde fumes...post #268 of 32910/21/13 at 3:10pmThread StarterQuote:
I am aware of the reviews. Don't take this out of context. I find everything I've read about the HD800s, all of the rules, stereotypes, and umbrella statements to have been picked up and hoisted upside down. Almost like a "backwards day" of sorts. Sofar, it hasn't been bright, amp picky, or source picky. What I noticed was compared to my HD580s and FA-011s while running it off my iPad was it took a lot of the muddiness of bad streaming recordings and made it clearer. The only real drawback was it made any channel imbalance that much more obvious. The PS Audio is a good amp, and had a halfway decent DAC at the time. I do most my listening at low volume so I can barely tollerate my Asgard at this point due to the low volume issuses. I am not critcising Schiit, just the that it's not ideal in my current path. I would like to have a dream DAC, but I am not familar enough with that technology to know what to buy immediately.
To answer your question, would I like my shorts to be on fire? Yes, yes I would. But everything sounds so good now, I think I will hold off on an impulsive upgrade to find my best option. I eventually plan on getting an SPL Phonitor. So my decision for a DAC is bassed solely on that premise. Until I know what to save up for. I thnk I will start selling off my unused gear. My Schiit has taken good care of me, but now that I have this leap into hifi, it's a slippy slope here on out.
Since buying these HD800s, I have come to a striking realization. I am finally listening and enjoying music. Normally, I analyze, tweak, mods, putz, and play around with nearly every aspect of the headphones. Since plugging them in for the first time, I have actually taken the time to enjoy the music (and often movies) rather than trying to adjust for comfort, play with settings, or poke holes in thing. I will eventually "unlock" the full potential of these headphones. Until then, I will enjoy them hopefully notice an appreciable sound quality bump after upgrading!post #269 of 32910/21/13 at 3:19pmQuote:Originally Posted by mrscotchguy
Originally, I was testing at Guitar Center with the AudioQuest DragonFly. I have been debating on what to upgrade to, so in the meantime, I am no longer using my Schiit Stack and have moved to just running the USB DAC on my PS Audio GCHA. I would have to say the GCHA's USB DAC is pretty much on par with the Gen1 Bifrost USB if not minutely better. I don't know what DAC I will be upgrading to. I am slightly embarassed to admit to this, but the HD800s sound pretty good just out of my iPad. Obviously, there's huge potential with proper equipment, but I'm very happy with my current setup. I will be able to comfortably take my time deciding on my next upgrade.
It is the music that is important. If the HD 800 sounds good from your Ipad then it is all good. And the treble issue is more or less a thing you can get used to. I shot me the Sony EX-1000 IEMs which are criticized for the same thing. If you come from cans that have a treble roll off then it is logical that it is noticeable firsthand. But on the other hand, if the treble is presented with low distortion at reasonable volume level it does not hurt, it can add some else lost details that will make the musical experience much richer, like a flavor, if you understand what I mean. I once auditioned the Beyer T1 and the HD 800 side by side from a Lehmannn amp in a local high end store. Brian Bromberg Wood 2 album. The T1 has even more treble. And guess what, I ended up buying the album, but all of my cans could not reach the treble detail that the T1 achieved, but now the Sony EX-1000 gets me there. And yes they also sound very good from my Ipod, and incredible from my Meier Stepdance.post #270 of 32910/21/13 at 3:45pm
Hey, it's all good. I was just giving you a little crap. I think that it's wonderful that you are able enjoy that hd800 from such a modest setup. How cool will it be when you eventually upgrade the gear and finally get to set your shorts on fire. I'm the last guy to turn my nose up. I love music and can easily get past the gear obsession and just enjoy the tunes. My sony ma900 and fiio x3 gives me lot's of enjoyment. Heck, even my Koss ksc75 and sansa clip gets me there.
Enjoy the heck out of those hp's!!
- HD800 Story Telling Time - *Warning* Prepare thyself, not for the faint of heart - (You've been warned!)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 5 seconds ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 52 seconds ago
- › Music > Gaming > Movie All-round Cans 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Magni + Modi combo WANT TO BUY 3 minutes ago
- › need help choosing headphones(possibly amp) for jazz 4 minutes ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 4 minutes ago
- › ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 won't play my APE files (says not supported) 7 minutes ago
- › Rcommendation On New Headphones And Old Receiver 7 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by boobs
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi