or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA Intruder + Xonar Essence STX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RSA Intruder + Xonar Essence STX

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

I am thinking of buying an Intruder to go with my portable rig and doubling it as my desktop amp as well until i can afford to drop the bomb on one. I currently have a Xonar Essense STX and was planning on just going Headphone Out of my STX to the Intruder to be able to keep Dolby Headphone feature which i use quite a bit. 

 

What do you think about this? Any cons? I realize it's double amping but am unsure on how much it will effect the SQ

post #2 of 10

Why not just plug your headphones straight into the STX's headphone output, the STX can drive headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Why not just plug your headphones straight into the STX's headphone output, the STX can drive headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

With the HE-500's and LCD2's on the way, would they be driven sufficiently enough or bottlenecked? Not in terms of volume but with respect to their potential? 

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaster View Post
 

With the HE-500's and LCD2's on the way, would they be driven sufficiently enough or bottlenecked? Not in terms of volume but with respect to their potential? 


I'm sure there are better headphone amplifier then what is built into the STX, I'm just not the one that can say which will do a better job driving the HE-500 and LCD-2s.

But you might want to read this thread or ask what amplifier works well with the HE-500.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/551345/hifiman-he-500-he-as-in-high-end-please-post-your-impressions-proving-to-be-a-great-headphone-and-standing-the-test-of-time

post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 

Yeah, was hoping the intruder would suffice until i muster up the dough to bring in the wishlist amp. 

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaster View Post
 

Yeah, was hoping the intruder would suffice until i muster up the dough to bring in the wishlist amp. 


If you set on using an add-on amplifier with your sound card, why not sell the STX and get the Xonar DX or D1, you can plug an external headphone amplifier into the Xonar DX/D1s "front" 3.5mm port, on the back panel (which does not have a headphone amplifier), the Xonar DX/D1 & STX use the same CMI8788 audio processor.

So you get to still use Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound and no double amping.

post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


If you set on using an add-on amplifier with your sound card, why not sell the STX and get the Xonar DX or D1, you can plug an external headphone amplifier into the Xonar DX/D1s "front" 3.5mm port, on the back panel (which does not have a headphone amplifier), the Xonar DX/D1 & STX use the same CMI8788 audio processor.

So you get to still use Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound and no double amping.

Thought about that but the DAC in the STX is what im after to keep for now. Otherwise i definitely would. 

 

I'm a difficult one to please haha.

 

What are the main consequences with double amping? I'm thinking the STX is clean enough for it not to really matter but i can't really say. 

post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMaster View Post
 

Thought about that but the DAC in the STX is what I'm after to keep for now. Otherwise i definitely would. 

 

I'm a difficult one to please haha.

 

What are the main consequences with double amping? I'm thinking the STX is clean enough for it not to really matter but i can't really say. 

Not sure how a STX/RSA double amping would effect audio quality.

But you can get a used Xonar DX or D1 for around $60 and you can connect (optically) the Xonar DX/D1 to an external DAC/Amp like an Audio_GD NFB-15.32 ($235+shipping), comes with dual WM8741 DAC chips.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

 

Sell for Essence STX for maybe $150?

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Not sure how a STX/RSA double amping would effect audio quality.

But you can get a used Xonar DX or D1 for around $60 and you can connect (optically) the Xonar DX/D1 to an external DAC/Amp like an Audio_GD NFB-15.32 ($235+shipping), comes with dual WM8741 DAC chips.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

 

Sell for Essence STX for maybe $150?

Thats not a half bad idea. Thanks for your help man. I'll be thinking

post #10 of 10

If your amp has a spdif connection you can use the spdif output of the stx into the amps spdif and keep the dolby output, that is what I am using now

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › RSA Intruder + Xonar Essence STX