New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All around headphones

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Looking for over the ear headphones, and I'll be using these mainly for listening to music and playing games. I listen to top hits/pop/rock/some rap (blink-182, bad religion, new found glory type rock). 
When playing games would like to be able to tell from what direction someone/something is coming. 

Would like to keep it under $300 and preferably without the use of an amp/DAC

What would be my best bet? Thanks!

post #2 of 14

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

post #3 of 14
I'd say to look at the akg k550 or sennheiser hd598
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 

Mainly my computer

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzorus View Post
 

Mainly my computer


A low costing sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG ($16-$26) might improve the audio quality of any headphone plugged into your computer.

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, $220. open headphones.

post #6 of 14
Or, snag the 598 on sale for a mere $200 and a mid-tier Asus sound card.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your quick replies

I have four recommendations so far

 

akg k550

sennheiser hd598
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Sony MDRMA900

 

I'll read up on all of these, thanks

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzorus View Post
 

Thanks for your quick replies

I have four recommendations so far

 

akg k550

sennheiser hd598
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Sony MDRMA900

 

I'll read up on all of these, thanks


Sennheiser HD558s, $131.26, and use the same driver as the HD598, just different cup design.

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzorus View Post
 

Thanks for your quick replies

I have four recommendations so far

 

akg k550

sennheiser hd598
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X

Sony MDRMA900

 

I'll read up on all of these, thanks

hmmm...I've listened to all of these at least briefly, and what stood out to me in all cases was that they all excelled in the soundstage department. Good for gaming, but I assume you would want some significant bass for your music preferences.  (most would agree MA900, K550, and AD900 are pretty bass light). 

 

How about the Philips X1? At $299, they're significantly more expensive than the others, but they are getting some good reviews around here. From what I have read (I haven't heard them) they have a slight V shape signature (emphasis on bass and treble) and a nice soundstage. Probably the best looking headphone of the bunch, if you care about that kind of thing.

post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post

hmmm...I've listened to all of these at least briefly, and what stood out to me in all cases was that they all excelled in the soundstage department. Good for gaming, but I assume you would want some significant bass for your music preferences.  (most would agree MA900, K550, and AD900 are pretty bass light). 

How about the Philips X1? At $299, they're significantly more expensive than the others, but they are getting some good reviews around here. From what I have read (I haven't heard them) they have a slight V shape signature (emphasis on bass and treble) and a nice soundstage. Probably the best looking headphone of the bunch, if you care about that kind of thing.
rubberduckeys, I borrowed one of my father's friend's X1 for a few days, and found it to have a fairly hollow midrange--none of that "lushness" I heard so much about. The bass is...boomy and slow, so, while it may be great for slower music like most classical and classic rock, it struggles with faster contemporary music. I would reccomend the 598, which is $200 on Amazon at the moment, over the X1 for its more balanced tone and, in my opinion, better soundstaging. They're great for movies/gaming, and even better for music.
post #11 of 14
FYI the 558 uses the same driver as the 598; only the housings and driver placement are different (a la 600/650). I found the 598 to be worth the extra money, but YMMV.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

FYI the 558 uses the same driver as the 598; only the housings and driver placement are different (a la 600/650). I found the 598 to be worth the extra money, but YMMV.

I don't know about the 598, but the HD600s and HD650s definitely use different drivers--just look at the differences in sensitivity. Not to mention they're listed as different drivers and have different prices if you try to buy them from Sennheiser.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96rubberduckys View Post
 

I don't know about the 598, but the HD600s and HD650s definitely use different drivers--just look at the differences in sensitivity. Not to mention they're listed as different drivers and have different prices if you try to buy them from Sennheiser.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 View Post

FYI the 558 uses the same driver as the 598; only the housings and driver placement are different (a la 600/650). I found the 598 to be worth the extra money, but YMMV.

Not to mention the 600 and 650 have totally different sound signatures,  I assume the same goes for the 558 and the 598

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 


A low costing sound card, like the Asus Xonar DG ($16-$26) might improve the audio quality of any headphone plugged into your computer.

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, $220. open headphones.

I agree with the AD900x, but do NOT pay $220 for a pair. You can get Refurbished pairs for half that, and I've owned two REfuribhsed Audio TEchnica Cans, and I've had no problems with either one! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home