or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 323

post #4831 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticstryk View Post

Currently using a Modi2U/Magni2U stack and loving it.  I plan on buying an HD650 as soon as they go on sale again, and they apparently sound really good with tube amps.

How does the Vali compare with the Magni2U and with the HD650.  Or would I be better off looking at different tube amps, maybe saving up for awhile longer and get something really nice, like a BH Crack or something.
With close but not identical equipment:
I used an HD600 with the original Magni, then switched to the Vali. Much much prefer the Vali. Magni worked perfectly and all, but I am happier with the Vali sound experience overall. Seemed to me to have more sense of depth and naturalness.
post #4832 of 4845

Stuck a Vali on top of my audio interface for my K712's. 

 

In hog heaven over here. Just incredible sound.

 

post #4833 of 4845
So for what its worth...... i feel like this process has practically eliminated the annoying hiss sound for me (and hopefully others who experience it)... i Turn the Vali on. Let it sit for about 4-8 min. THEN plug in my K712's. slight ring happens. then just silence....... I have done this process of turning it on twice now and have stellar results. i have heard others say that its better to leave their headphones in and then turn it on, but not for mine! i also have the modi to Vali all plugged in and into the computer before i turn the Vali on as well. doubt that would make a difference though. hopefully this helps someone experiencing issues with the device. i was at my wits end with it.
post #4834 of 4845

I gotta be honest I don't even hear the hiss now, and I only wait a few seconds. Maybe there's something coming from folks' DACs? 

post #4835 of 4845

My Vali has never made a hiss sound ever that I can hear. I've even put my headphones on before turning Vali on.

post #4836 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFiggins View Post
 

My Vali has never made a hiss sound ever that I can hear. I've even put my headphones on before turning Vali on.

 

Same, in the few days I've had it. I don't even unplug my headphones. Flip the switch and a few seconds later boom. Good to go. No hiss I've been able to determine.

 

All I know is my music became just... lovely again. It took me a few minutes with the K712's to remind myself that I wasn't hearing the audio get "muddy" because the sharp details were gone. It just made the treble spikes less sharp. 


Edited by SomeGuyDude - 8/23/15 at 9:24am
post #4837 of 4845

You will only hear the noise (hiss) if your headphones or IEMs are sensitive. My HD600's and HE-500's are not sensitive so I hear none, however, I have IEMs that are sensitive enough to hear the noise.

post #4838 of 4845

I am starting to think that Vali is not a good match for HD650s. It might just be my untrained ears but I am now sure that I do not like what I am hearing. Bass sounds too uncontrolled / boomy and a bit too much in quantity to me. Then again, I am not fond of bass as much as most of the people here, but as a bass player in my earlier youth I do appreciate it when the quantity is right. But seems like for now I will be using my E10k, which might sound ridiculous but true :confused:

post #4839 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Same, in the few days I've had it. I don't even unplug my headphones. Flip the switch and a few seconds later boom. Good to go. No hiss I've been able to determine.

 

All I know is my music became just... lovely again. It took me a few minutes with the K712's to remind myself that I wasn't hearing the audio get "muddy" because the sharp details were gone. It just made the treble spikes less sharp. 

Well i am jealous..... because i dont know why its so hit or miss with my K712's...

post #4840 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnynamedfrank View Post
 

Well i am jealous..... because i dont know why its so hit or miss with my K712's...

 

Lotta factors, man. What's going into the Vali? Where's the music coming from? When you say hit or miss, what sounds bad when it's a miss?

post #4841 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Lotta factors, man. What's going into the Vali? Where's the music coming from? When you say hit or miss, what sounds bad when it's a miss?

ill send you a PM of all that. tired of wasting space with on this thread about my Vali being an issue

post #4842 of 4845

I don't believe the topic ever came up but I've noticed many use DC battery power supply to improve their phono preamps like ART djpre ii. I was wondering if plugging the Vali to an DC battery supply will improve the sound. 

 

I guess bad idea...


Edited by sling5s - 8/26/15 at 3:23pm
post #4843 of 4845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

I don't believe the topic ever came up but I've noticed many use DC battery power supply to improve their phono preamps like ART djpre ii. I was wondering if plugging the Vali to an DC battery supply will improve the sound. 

 

I guess bad idea...


It needs AC to get split supply and generate 60+ volts for tubes

post #4844 of 4845

Friend of mine ruined his Magni by using another power cord. I wouldn't try it.

post #4845 of 4845

I've seen TONS of electronics get wrecked by using the wrong power supply. I blew out (no joke) a microphone, keyboard, mouse, AND webcam after plugging the wrong power cord into a USB hub. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!