Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 30

post #436 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by jexby View Post

wait what!?  each of us needs to purchase and hear a Vali personally before reporting an opinion on it's sonic quality??
all of head-fi just shut down with your new (but nice idea) "valid"dation criteria.
cheers.
beyersmile.png
Definitely not what he was saying.
post #437 of 4245

If it's not amazing with every headphone I own I am going to demand a refund from Purrin!

He did say it's the most transparent amp ever invented didn't he?

post #438 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

If it's not amazing with every headphone I own I am going to demand a refund from Purrin!

He did say it's the most transparent amp ever invented didn't he?

 

I'll pay the restocking fee for you. You still having to pay shipping back to Schiit. That's two people now I'm on the hook for restocking fees.

post #439 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simanick View Post
 

Side Q: Any tests done with the HD650? Getting the sense these are bright-ish amps (brighter than the Magni, at least, which was itself slightly treble-happy from what I've read), so would they ruin the smooth, laid-backness of these headphones?

 

Not brighter than Magni. I felt the Magni was a bit on the bright side. At least the one I heard a while back.

post #440 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Definitely not what he was saying.
No but was very close to it. smily_headphones1.gif So much arguing over a product that hasn't been released for sale yet. We have a few reviews from trusted sources that got a Vali early and the people that tried it at RMAF.

At its price point of $119 it just has to make sound to be a decent value. Now if it makes good sound at $119 it will be a great value.
post #441 of 4245

x2.. Nicely said.

 

I've been looking for a bedside amp that would work with the HD800 and LCD2.2.  For the $129 price of admission, the Vali seems like a no brainer for me. Will be pairing it up with a DragonFly and hopefully it will end up being a decent small system.    My main A/V rig doesn't have a headphone out so will also try the Vali there. Just for giggles, will also test with the WA7 DAC.

 

If it doesn't work for me, I'll just move on. Tried the Magni and it didn't work for me, way too bright even with the HE500. Sold it locally after a couple of months for what I paid for it (less shipping).

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anavel0 View Post


No but was very close to it. smily_headphones1.gif So much arguing over a product that hasn't been released for sale yet. We have a few reviews from trusted sources that got a Vali early and the people that tried it at RMAF.

At its price point of $119 it just has to make sound to be a decent value. Now if it makes good sound at $119 it will be a great value.
post #442 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post
 

 

I'll pay the restocking fee for you. You still having to pay shipping back to Schiit. That's two people now I'm on the hook for restocking fees.

 

No, it's ok. I was just kidding. If I don't like this i've already used up my yearly returns with Schiit (1). The Asgard 2 seems incompatible with my house/ears so I returned it.

For $120 I don't care and can just resell it online. I liked the Magni but it was a little too bright for me with the Q701. I think I should stop being so picky.


Edited by tdockweiler - 10/19/13 at 7:50am
post #443 of 4245

Be as picky as you want. It's a free quality that comes with the audiophile admission card. :wink: I do think that the A2 is a fantastic amp and a great pairing with 650. We'll just have to disagree on that one.

 

Back on topic...I think that I'll pick up the Vali, for the same reasons that all the rest of you have already stated. The price is enticing for the perceived performance. I tend to agree with most of the impressions made by Purrin, so that's enough for me to give it a shot. 

post #444 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

 

Why wouldn't it work? I've found that some headphones that are 38-42ohm etc don't seem to care about a higher output impedance (if that's what you're talking about).

I can't hear any changes with my DJ100, K400, Q701 with a 10 or 330ohm output impedance :confused_face_2: I tried a 330 ohm output receiver with my KRK KNS-8400 and it became very cave like. Pretty funny.

 

I've always found it amusing when people say the E9's 10 ohm output magically makes it incompatible with the Q701. Nonsense!

 

Guess it all depends on the headphone. Obviously IEMs are another story..

 

Nothing to do with ohms, and power mis match but the amp is noisy, People are reporting that with very sensitive headphones you can hear a lot of noise, since the combination of low budget parts and a high gain= a HIGH Noise floor. So for something as senstive as the w1000x your going to be hearing a lot of noise. My last two hybrid tubes where noisy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrabike View Post
 

 

If you are worried about the output impedance, I measured the Vali's output impedance to about < 6.4 ohms. So while not exactly complying with the 1/8 rule, it might still work with your W1000x. But dunno. Have not even heard the W1000x.

The noise more than anything 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post
 

 

I just tried that test. My hearing doesn't roll off until 18K. I'd say that's pretty good. I am only 19 though so that may have something to do with it. :)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome View Post

I just tried it on my cell phone and iem. Should I be using quality equipment to properly do the test?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post
 

I just redid that hearing test with the HD 650 and I can hear everything below 18.8K. That's pretty darn good considering that 20K is supposed to be the very top end for humans. 

 

 

I did the test from http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php I could feel the drop from 22 to 21, 21 to 20 and then I started to hear it at 19khz ... I should have used my w1000x but let my dt 880 on anyways [they are both equally bright btw] 

 

Anyways, any one think these are powerufl enough to maybe drive a HE 500 on a super tight budget? 

post #445 of 4245

Pure speculation but guessing from Purrin's preference (fast, transparent on the aggressive side...this too is speculation), I think the Vali is a hyper detailed (transparent) amp that is not bright but slightly on the aggressive side of neutral.  I know Purrin hates the Meridian Explorer but I personally like it (the revised model) so I want to try the Vali because it's characteristics will work well with the LCD-2 (rev.1) or any slightly dark headphones but unless you're preference is like Purrin's I would not try it out with a HD800 or any headphone slightly north of neutral. 

post #446 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post
 

Pure speculation but guessing from Purrin's preference (fast, transparent on the aggressive side...this too is speculation), I think the Vali is a hyper detailed (transparent) amp that is not bright but slightly on the aggressive side of neutral.  I know Purrin hates the Meridian Explorer but I personally like it (the revised model) so I want to try the Vali because it's characteristics will work well with the LCD-2 (rev.1) or any slightly dark headphones but unless you're preference is like Purrin's I would not try it out with a HD800 or any headphone slightly north of neutral. 

how ever agreesive it might be it's still a hybrid tube, tubes=smooth. Hopefully will have a smooth yet detailed mid section 

post #447 of 4245
I hear the Vali 2 will address the glare issue with the HD800 and have a 17% reduction in tube microphonics.
post #448 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

I hear the Vali 2 will address the glare issue with the HD800 and have a 17% reduction in tube microphonics.

If they make it work with low impedance or sensitive IEM, even better. 

post #449 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by sling5s View Post

If they make it work with low impedance or sensitive IEM, even better. 

You'll have to wait for the statement uberVali, I'm afraid.
post #450 of 4245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post


You'll have to wait for the statement uberVali, I'm afraid.

:p 

Maybe this will be the amp for me.  My 1500th post.  And it only took me 7 years. 


Edited by sling5s - 10/19/13 at 10:29am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!