Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 277

post #4141 of 4234

At some point I'll probably buy a woo something or build a bottlehead crack, but for now the Vali serves me perfectly fine. I use an HRT MS2 for what it's worth.

post #4142 of 4234

yes very good with my T1s, second only to OTLs where the T1 really shines at it's best.

post #4143 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rhodes View Post
 

yes very good with my T1s, second only to OTLs where the T1 really shines at it's best.

Thank's for posting.What OTL's have you used? I have a WA2 myself. 

post #4144 of 4234

Hey everyone! I'm dead set on getting a  DT990 (Probably going with the 250) and I was able to try a pair today (250) and I absolutely love them though the treble's are like what I've read, a bit fatiguing. I was curious if the Vali helps tone them down a bit? From all I've read, this AMP is spectacular for the price and I'm loving that! If I get this amp I plan on pairing it with the Modi

post #4145 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 

Thank's for posting.What OTL's have you used? I have a WA2 myself. 


WA2, LD 4se, Valhalla, Crack, DIYs....these ere where the T1 really excels.

post #4146 of 4234

Can anyone comment on the Valhalla 2 vs the Vali? Differences, most notable improvements, worth the price, etc. 

post #4147 of 4234
^ This!
i would also would like to know, thanks.
post #4148 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
 

Hey everyone! I'm dead set on getting a  DT990 (Probably going with the 250) and I was able to try a pair today (250) and I absolutely love them though the treble's are like what I've read, a bit fatiguing. I was curious if the Vali helps tone them down a bit? From all I've read, this AMP is spectacular for the price and I'm loving that! If I get this amp I plan on pairing it with the Modi

If the treble is strident, don't expect an amp to really tone that down. That's what EQ is for, I would consider looking for a set of cans that makes me happy on its own merits. If you're dead set on it then see if you can live with its treble. It's tough when one is really looking forward to a set of headphones and there's something about it that's making you wonder. Does the vendor offer a return period?

post #4149 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

If the treble is strident, don't expect an amp to really tone that down. That's what EQ is for, I would consider looking for a set of cans that makes me happy on its own merits. If you're dead set on it then see if you can live with its treble. It's tough when one is really looking forward to a set of headphones and there's something about it that's making you wonder. Does the vendor offer a return period?

Well I took some extra time today to go back to where I tried the 990's on and though the treble is there, I can easily cope with it as it isn't terrible by any means! Listened to the cans for over an hour without any fatiguing! I also can't get beyond the comfort of the Beyer's.

Now I didn't word my question quite right :( I meant to ask will the Vali really give the warmer sound of tubes that I've read about so much and take the edge off the treble? When I was listening to the cans earlier today, they were paired with a FiiO e10, so that's what I'm putting the vali up against.

post #4150 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
 

Well I took some extra time today to go back to where I tried the 990's on and though the treble is there, I can easily cope with it as it isn't terrible by any means! Listened to the cans for over an hour without any fatiguing! I also can't get beyond the comfort of the Beyer's.

Now I didn't word my question quite right :( I meant to ask will the Vali really give the warmer sound of tubes that I've read about so much and take the edge off the treble? When I was listening to the cans earlier today, they were paired with a FiiO e10, so that's what I'm putting the vali up against.

The E10k (200 mW) has far less power than the Vali (650 mW) at 32 Ohms. It also has a built in DAC. I would still get the Vali and some other DAC. I still wouldn't rely on an Amp to take the edge off the treble, IMO that story is way overrated. The warmer sound of tubes is attributed to even order Harmonic Distortion. The Vali or a more expensive good tube Amp delivers very little distortion, IMO not enough to really make a difference and most people will probably not even hear the difference. You might even consider getting a Magni, it is more powerful, far better SNR and has no ringing. The story about it being trebly is IMO a myth, I compared it, using an A/B switch, with an Asgard 2 using an HD600, HE-500 and more headphones an found no difference in sound. I also own a Vali, it's a good amp, but I prefer the Magni or Asgard 2 over it. If you really want a tube amp the Vali is a hybrid, delivering a decent amount of power, sounds good, built well and at a price that is hard to beat. IMO wishing it to tame treble should not be an expectation.

If you can cope with the 990's treble and that's the headphone that will bring a smile to your face, go for it and smile.


Edited by StanD - 8/8/14 at 4:54am
post #4151 of 4234

Stan, thank you for the insight and your opinions! Looks like I'll have a toss up between the Vali and the Magni (either will be paired with the Modi). i might order both and just take the restocking fee hit on the one I don't like. Thanks again!

post #4152 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
 

Stan, thank you for the insight and your opinions! Looks like I'll have a toss up between the Vali and the Magni (either will be paired with the Modi). i might order both and just take the restocking fee hit on the one I don't like. Thanks again!

I hope you find what you're looking for. Schiit's try and return policy is very nice, check to see if there is a nominal restocking fee as these are priced generously, I think they want some coin on returns. I don't think you will be disappointed.

post #4153 of 4234

15% restocking fee so I'll take the hit. Yeah, I'm excited to get this to say the least!

post #4154 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

15% restocking fee so I'll take the hit. Yeah, I'm excited to get this to say the least!
15% restocking fee is way better than having a piece of gear you might never use. That still leaves you with the remaining 85% to spend on other treats!
post #4155 of 4234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post

15% restocking fee so I'll take the hit. Yeah, I'm excited to get this to say the least!

Order from Amazon, no restock fee, same warranty and support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!