Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 260

post #3886 of 4278

mine has been on for weeks at a time

post #3887 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Rhodes View Post
 

mine has been on for weeks at a time

Wow!  I usually turn it off for the night after a night session after everyone goes to sleep.  The tubes having been on all day plus the silence and darkness of the night makes it a sublime and addictive listen.  I've haven't enjoyed listening to my headphones this much in a long time.

 

My first "wow" moment came after purchasing a pair of HD580 in 2003 listening through RSA amp.  Than Vintage Grado RS1 with WA6 with Sophia in 2006. But since than, after trying many budget, mid-fi and hi-fi headphones, amps and dacs haven't had that "wow" moment again until now at 2014 with the LCD-2 Classic with Vali and Uber Bifrost.  

 

The Vali plus Uber Bifrost are really not just the greatest bang for the buck but will give you one of the best hi-fi, hi-end musical experience one can have.:D 

 

I do have to note though.  When I first got the Vali with Bifrost Uber, I thought it was good but not, wow.

But I don't know if it's the Vali or Bifrost burn in, but after hundreds of hours, something happened.  It just opened up in a magical and musical way that transformed them from "good" to "wow".


Edited by sling5s - 5/7/14 at 10:08am
post #3888 of 4278
I've reluctantly decided to sell my Vali,so if anybody in the UK is interested in picking up a Vali for less than you can get a new one from Schiit(save import & shipping fees) Please pm me.
post #3889 of 4278

I tried the Vali with my GR07 and a 75ohm resistor, it eliminated most of the white noise but not all of it. With a 120Ω resistor, though, it sounds as clean as the magni. And sound quality doesn't seem to have changed at all so its all good.

post #3890 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarCCX View Post
 

I tried the Vali with my GR07 and a 75ohm resistor, it eliminated most of the white noise but not all of it. With a 120Ω resistor, though, it sounds as clean as the magni. And sound quality doesn't seem to have changed at all so its all good.

These have a rather flat impedance curve which is why the SQ is not adversly affected by the resistor. If not for that you might not be so pleased, good for you. :regular_smile :

post #3891 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSavior View Post
 

 

Vali is a noisy amp.  Always a constant low level hiss.  It doesn't bother me, and is inaudible while music is playing, but I have had people tell me it was a deal breaker for them.

 

Different people have different expectations, and tastes.  You gotta know what you are getting into when you buy an amp.

 

I'd just like to take back my comment.  It was based on use with HD598s.  I just acquired some HD600s and Vali is dead silent and substantially less microphonic.  The best way to learn in this hobby is experience,  and I clearly showed my lack of experience in my previous comment.

 

As others have mentioned, it definitely depends on the headphones you are using.

 

Initial impressions of HD600 and Vali are: it is a stellar combination.


Edited by AnalogSavior - 5/8/14 at 9:25am
post #3892 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSavior View Post
 

 

I'd just like to take back my comment.  It was based on use with HD598s.  I just acquired some HD600s and Vali is dead silent and substantially less microphonic.  The best way to learn in this hobby is experience,  and I clearly showed my lack of experience in my previous comment.

 

As others have mentioned, it definitely depends on the headphones you are using.

 

Initial impressions of HD600 and Vali are: it is a stellar combination.

The HD598 is more sensitive than the HD600, that is why. You probably turn the volume up more when using the HD600.

post #3893 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

The HD598 is more sensitive than the HD600, that is why. You probably turn the volume up more when using the HD600.

 

Yes indeed, I turn it maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn louder, depending on the song.  All of that made sense to me, and I expected it,  but I didn't expect the sensitivity to play such a role in the noise floor.

 

Well no I know.

 

:cool: 

post #3894 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSavior View Post
 

 

Yes indeed, I turn it maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn louder, depending on the song.  All of that made sense to me, and I expected it,  but I didn't expect the sensitivity to play such a role in the noise floor.

 

Well no I know.

 

:cool: 

I just plugged in a pair of HD558's and the noise is there, not a whopping amount but once you know it, it's annoying, only when the music stops. If you're listening to a quiet passage or momentary pause in the music it might be an issue. Thankfully my HD600's or HE-500's have no such problems with the Vali. I think my over ear Momentums are more sensitive than the HD558's as I remember the noise being more noticable with these. Neither of these two cans need much in the way of amplification, so unless you're looking for the tube sound, then I use less sensitive cans. I have more amps than I need anyway. :happy_face1:

post #3895 of 4278

No sound even with the LCD-XC.

post #3896 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I just plugged in a pair of HD558's and the noise is there, not a whopping amount but once you know it, it's annoying, only when the music stops. If you're listening to a quiet passage or momentary pause in the music it might be an issue. Thankfully my HD600's or HE-500's have no such problems with the Vali. I think my over ear Momentums are more sensitive than the HD558's as I remember the noise being more noticable with these. Neither of these two cans need much in the way of amplification, so unless you're looking for the tube sound, then I use less sensitive cans. I have more amps than I need anyway. :happy_face1:

How do you like he-500 with Vali? Do you think that modi/vali can drive he-500 to a justifiable level (in term of reaching he-500 potentials)?


Edited by heart banger-97 - 5/9/14 at 1:10am
post #3897 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart banger-97 View Post
 

How do you like he-500 with Vali? Do you think that modi/vali can drive he-500 to a justifiable level (in term of reaching he-500 potentials)?

You can get something decent out of the Vali when driving the HE-500's but more power would be advisable. The Magni or Asgard 2 are perfect. The story about the Magni being too bright is a myth as far as I'm concerned. I A/B'd the Magni and Asgard 2 with a switch and matched volume levels and found this to be just another Internet myth. If you want a tube Amp that sounds good driving the HE-500's you will probably have to spend much more. Either a hybrid with more power than the Vali (such as a Lyr) or a pure tube amp that has an output transformer.

post #3898 of 4278

Stan is right, the Magni brightness BS is just that.

post #3899 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post
 

Stan is right, the Magni brightness BS is just that.

 

I wouldn't say its bright. I'd say its mids are recessed in comparison to the bass and treble. 

post #3900 of 4278
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post
 

Stan is right, the Magni brightness BS is just that.

Isn't it strange that someone blurts out something and once the mob takes over it develops a life of its own. I picked up a Magni for my wife and compared it first with my other Amps. If the myth was true, I would have sent it back, IMO a low impedance output amp with plenty of power and a flat FR is not going to be bright unless one imagines it to be so.:D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!