Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 235

post #3511 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I'm not so sure it's going to resolve a peak in the treble. The peak will still be there and adding more even harmonics to what is up there may not make much of any difference. For example if you have a peak at 7 kHz, the second harmonic is at 14 kHz, the rest are well beyond what we can hear. Why would adding more to the second harmonic at 14 kHz tame that peak? I think the tube sound adds warm (even) harmonics (timbre) to musical notes of far lower pitches, which is a different situation. Perhaps the tube sound of a traditional pure tube amp with an output transformer adds to the sound, but guitar players want different things like soft overloading and saturated output transformer sounds that we definitely don't want. Wouldn't you say that depending on the design a hybrid adds some measure of the tube sound? 


I think it's more that it adds more warmth (bass), so the treble doesn't stick out as much.

post #3512 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


I think it's more that it adds more warmth (bass), so the treble doesn't stick out as much.

There is an element of truth to that because as we focus more on bass we are less able to resolve fine details of treble. I don't think it's going to be enough to mask a nasty treble resonance that causes a silabance that can create a burning sensation in my eyes.

post #3513 of 4091

My Vali has extreme ringing. I'm talking if I cough or move the cord or anything it will ring. They have approved what I assume is an RMA for me, but shipping is pretty expensive. They told me I could try doing the push-down things people have found as a solution first.

 

My problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even know what a tube looks like. Is there some sort of visual instruction on how I should go about doing this?

post #3514 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoori View Post
 

My Vali has extreme ringing. I'm talking if I cough or move the cord or anything it will ring. They have approved what I assume is an RMA for me, but shipping is pretty expensive. They told me I could try doing the push-down things people have found as a solution first.

 

My problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't even know what a tube looks like. Is there some sort of visual instruction on how I should go about doing this?

Can you find someone that has any electronic skills? Try finding an Electrical Engineering student at a local university, preferably one that has been at it for a couple of years and has done lab work.

post #3515 of 4091
Someone should be able to take some pictures. If you open the Vali, it will be the obvious glass things in the center/rightish.
post #3516 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Can you find someone that has any electronic skills? Try finding an Electrical Engineering student at a local university, preferably one that has been at it for a couple of years and has done lab work.

Hah!


Local University? I don't even have a local corner store. If it's as easy as people say I'll give it a shot later if I can find some tools to open it up =)

post #3517 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoori View Post
 

Hah!


Local University? I don't even have a local corner store. If it's as easy as people say I'll give it a shot later if I can find some tools to open it up =)

Just look before you leap and be gentle. As my dad used to say, measure twice and cut once.

post #3518 of 4091

 

You see those two glass tubes in the middle? Just make sure that they are pushed down and lying on the foam like in the picture, 

post #3519 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

You see those two glass tubes in the middle? Just make sure that they are pushed down and lying on the foam like in the picture, 

If he has an early model the leads from the tubes aren't pre-bent at the PCB and will give the tubes a springy tension that pulls them away from the sticky pads and they will eventually pop loose again, Assuming that's the problem, unstuck tubes. Hopefully Totoori can sort this out and get back to enjoying his Vali.

post #3520 of 4091

I received my new Vali today and from the minute I plugged my headphones the ringing was very loud from the left channel without even wearing them. I left the HPs plugged in for a few minutes without music playing and eventually the ringing diminished but it was still barely audible so I thought great!! problem solved, until I simply pressed play on the first track on my computer and the loud ringing started again, this time from both channels. It seems no matter what I do, wether I touch the case, volume knob, the HP cord, the mouse, scratch my head, it triggers the loud ringing. I've read this ringing is normal for inexpensive tube amps but I can't tolerate it, it's too loud even with the headphones off. My fiancee even asked what that ringing was, she was trying to rest on the couch 10 feet away from me. I'm calling Schiit Audio tomorrow, hopefully their customer service is as good as some have claimed, wish me luck.

post #3521 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.T. View Post

Funny, I don't usually reverse my opinion, but I'm going to here.

Previously, I reported that my HE-400 sounded good but under-powered with my Vali, and didn't think it was a good pairing. Well, I tried it again and the combo sounds great!

I don't know if the Vali burned in some more, or if the HE-400 burned in some more, or the source was a better match, but this time I was blown away at how good it sounded. Maybe my brain burned in some, but I haven't been listening to the 400's with the Vali at all, and this time it sounded great. So no slow acclimation period for me to get used to the combo. Just, boom, great sound right away.

One great synergy is that the Vali doesn't exacerbate the prominent treble of the 400. Rather, it controls it well and the sound is snappy but natural and very listenable. On the Asgard 2, the treble was way too steely in my system.

Great sound!

What changing in sources ?

By the way, I find the combo  Bifrost Uber => Vali => HE-500 excellent.

But... =>


Edited by Rudiger - 2/21/14 at 12:23am
post #3522 of 4091

deleted


Edited by Rudiger - 2/24/14 at 4:22am
post #3523 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

There is an element of truth to that because as we focus more on bass we are less able to resolve fine details of treble. I don't think it's going to be enough to mask a nasty treble resonance that causes a silabance that can create a burning sensation in my eyes.
Alas the holy grail of having both a tactile bass and airy treble seems unattainable. frown.gif
post #3524 of 4091

Bummer :(  I had high hopes for this one!

Looks like I'll be saving up for something bigger and better

post #3525 of 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
 

I also have problems Ringing. It was on both sides (it was loud even if I move the cable or lightly touch the volume knob ...)

I looked inside the tubes were well sealed. I sent Vali repair from France... Shipping at our expense .....

Well... it was ok the first day... but now I have again the problem on the right side...

(Do you know if the tube visible without opening is that which corresponds to the right side? Because it is well coated.)
I still feel that there is a problem with the Vali, it's pretty disappointing.

I take back what I said earlier: I do not recommend the Vali. Or maybe it's a bit like playing dice. Buy it at your own risk...

Otherwise I love the sound pretty much.

 
It is such a shame.


My Vali is not ringing, but for EU users it seems shipping for warranty repair is really high. I am thinking about buying some 6088 tubes from ebay for reserve. For $15 one from 10 tubes MUST be ok...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!