or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 225

post #3361 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I have a feeling that it'll work out nicely. The HD700's are reasonably sensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonido View Post
 


The HD700 has a full-bodied, dark-leaning, and slightly veiled sound so I think it would pair very well with the Vali since the Vali gives a crisp and light sound signature.

 

In my opinion, it's much better with the HD700, but I'm going to compare the Asgard/Vali and Denon/HD700s more tomorrow.

 

Oddly enough, I sold my Bifrost to help fund the Vali/HD700 purchase, and I'm satisfied. Hopefully I'll feel the same after my comparison tomorrow. :) 

 

(what I've been listening to for comparison)

http://music.monstercat.com/album/monstercat-013-awakening

http://music.monstercat.com/album/monstercat-014-discovery


Edited by jworl - 2/6/14 at 10:04pm
post #3362 of 4963
Hey guys,

Hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the Vali in a couple of hours! I had a question though while I impatiently wait: do you think it's a mistake buying only the Vali and not it's best friend the Modi as well? The Modi was out of stock where I bought it (dealer Netherlands). Do you think it will be enjoyable on it's own (used with a Hifiman HE-400 and soon a modded T50RP)? I never had an amplifier before, so I figured it would be an improvement either way
post #3363 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

What's your budget? What's your sound profile?

Dont know much, for the sound signature. I currentley have a sr60 and sr 225.
Im thinking selling the 225 to source something else.
Budget around 250.
Would like to try some phone but i only find a grado dealer around.
And cant find better than hd558 in all the place i visited.

Thanks.
post #3364 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimmy View Post

Hey guys,

Hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the Vali in a couple of hours! I had a question though while I impatiently wait: do you think it's a mistake buying only the Vali and not it's best friend the Modi as well? The Modi was out of stock where I bought it (dealer Netherlands). Do you think it will be enjoyable on it's own (used with a Hifiman HE-400 and soon a modded T50RP)? I never had an amplifier before, so I figured it would be an improvement either way

Probably a nice improvement. What are you going use to drive the Vali?

post #3365 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykr3n View Post


Dont know much, for the sound signature. I currentley have a sr60 and sr 225.
Im thinking selling the 225 to source something else.
Budget around 250.
Would like to try some phone but i only find a grado dealer around.
And cant find better than hd558 in all the place i visited.

Thanks.

How about describing the sound signature. How did you like the HD558?

For around $250, I would recommend a Schiit Asgard 2, I have one and it does a great job, it's versatile and can drive a large variety of cans. I prefer a clean sound, some prefer tube amps that add a touch of even order harmonic distortion (call that color). A really good pure tube amp that can drive low impedance cans is going to cost plenty more than you have budgeted.


Edited by StanD - 2/7/14 at 6:18am
post #3366 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Probably a nice improvement. What are you going use to drive the Vali?

Hey Stan,

 

That's my problem, I have no dedicated DAC. I'm just running PC -> Vali -> Hifiman HE-400.

 

That being said, I can hear an improvement already in the two minutes in which it's turned on. Wish I had the Modi to compare!

post #3367 of 4963

The great thing is iJimmy - Vali scales very well. When you add a decent DAC, Vali will certainly be more resolving.

post #3368 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Probably a nice improvement. What are you going use to drive the Vali?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimmy View Post
 

Hey Stan,

 

That's my problem, I have no dedicated DAC. I'm just running PC -> Vali -> Hifiman HE-400.

 

That being said, I can hear an improvement already in the two minutes in which it's turned on. Wish I had the Modi to compare!

Most PC's have lousy amps, so there no mystery to that improvement. May laptop has a surprisingly good DAC and AMP but not still not up to decent external gear. I'm thinking of getting a Schiit Bifrost with the USB and Uber audio options, in the next week or two.

What guitar is that in your avatar?

post #3369 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

The Vali scales up really well with a good DAC. Tried it with the Dragonfly, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V2.  I can definitely tell the difference between the three with the Rega and Naim providing great depth and detail while smoothing out the top end. Probably overkill but the Bifrost Uber at a minimum would be a great match.

+1

Actually Purrin recommended the Bifrost Uber as the minimum.  He highly recommended Gungnir for the Vali.  So it does scale well. 

post #3370 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

How about describing the sound signature. How did you like the HD558?

For around $250, I would recommend a Schiit Asgard 2, I have one and it does a great job, it's versatile and can drive a large variety of cans. I prefer a clean sound, some prefer tube amps that add a touch of even order harmonic distortion (call that color). A really good pure tube amp that can drive low impedance cans is going to cost plenty more than you have budgeted.

 

Dont want to go too much OT but i really enjoy the ralaxed sound and airy (soundstage?) sound of the 558, i also fell they have little more bass in them over my SR, I know im bad in sound terminology!

For my budget i dont want to change my Vali since i got it two days ago and enoyed it, im still looking for a good (afordable) beginner dac and another pair of headphone

When the time as come i will for sure try another Schiit...

post #3371 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJimmy View Post

Hey guys,

Hopefully I'll be a proud owner of the Vali in a couple of hours! I had a question though while I impatiently wait: do you think it's a mistake buying only the Vali and not it's best friend the Modi as well? The Modi was out of stock where I bought it (dealer Netherlands). Do you think it will be enjoyable on it's own (used with a Hifiman HE-400 and soon a modded T50RP)? I never had an amplifier before, so I figured it would be an improvement either way

I have both the Vali and it's little friend the Modi; and I have to say they sound awesome together with my AKG K702's.  I had the Vali for about 7-8 weeks before I ordered the Modi, and it sounded great all by itself using a variety of sources (NAD CD player, my MacBook, and even by iPod Classic).  The addition of the Modi only improved the sound, adding more depth and clarity to the overall soundstage. I think you will be very happy with the Vali all by itself; but, adding the Modi only makes it better!  Enjoy.

post #3372 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykr3n View Post
 

 

Dont want to go too much OT but i really enjoy the ralaxed sound and airy (soundstage?) sound of the 558, i also fell they have little more bass in them over my SR, I know im bad in sound terminology!

For my budget i dont want to change my Vali since i got it two days ago and enoyed it, im still looking for a good (afordable) beginner dac and another pair of headphone

When the time as come i will for sure try another Schiit...

If you like the HD558's, you'd probably love the HD600's. I have both. The HD600 does very well with the Vali, in fact I'm using that pair right now.:happy_face1:

post #3373 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post
 

The Vali scales up really well with a good DAC. Tried it with the Dragonfly, Rega DAC and the Naim DAC-V2.  I can definitely tell the difference between the three with the Rega and Naim providing great depth and detail while smoothing out the top end. Probably overkill but the Bifrost Uber at a minimum would be a great match.

 

I'd agree with this for sure based on my recent experience. Vali sounded more open moving to the Emotiva DC-1 from the Burson DAC in the HA160D. I consider all DAC changes to be pretty minor but as far as DAC changes go, this one was noticeable to my ears with some songs and a welcome improvement. The Vali scales well.

 

I'v listened to the DC-1 + Vali combo more in the past week with the HD800 and it's pretty great. lots of detail, expansive soundstage, not shrill or fatiguing. 

 

It's less dense and meaty than the Burson presentation (less midbass) but has more apparent instrument detail - mainly in bass - and improves soundstage, which is one of the main reasons to get an HD800, imo.

 

I liked the HD800 with the HA160D, but the Vali and DC-1 is a bit of an improvement in several areas.


Edited by LCfiner - 2/7/14 at 7:45am
post #3374 of 4963
I use the Vali with the Bifrost. Indeed a great match. Realized I had not put my Uber and Gen 2 USB boards in. I'm sure it should sound even better after the upgrade.
post #3375 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

I use the Vali with the Bifrost. Indeed a great match. Realized I had not put my Uber and Gen 2 USB boards in. I'm sure it should sound even better after the upgrade.

You were using the SPDIF input?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!