Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 187

post #2791 of 4232

ahhh.... never a dull moment in the vali thread

post #2792 of 4232

Hey, just got my Vali/Modi today. Using it with HD 598's.

 

How much background hissing/noise is acceptable? 

post #2793 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernoRS View Post
 

I ask again, has anyone personally tried the Vali+Modi combo on HE-400's?

 

I just received my o2+odac today and I prefer it to the modi-vali with the HE-400. This is an initial impression but some observations. 

 

1. HE-400 is known for its speed and separation. The o2-odac makes those features 100x better than the schiit. (Ok, i'm exagerating, only 99x better). The schiit sounds sluggish compared to the o2. 

2. I tested modi vs odac (with o2) and the odac sounds cleaner. The modi sounds slightly congested. So i'm not sure if it's the vali that is making it sluggish/congested. Maybe it's the modi. 

3. The o2 is BLACK! Dead silent. No hiss, no microphonics. 

4. The 2.5x gain (o2) is plenty for HE-400. I'm beginning to get annoyed by the 4x on the Vali. In fact, the 6.5x gain on the o2 sounds worse than the 2.5x. That might just be me. I might mod to get 1x/2.5x.

 

Maybe it's just new buyer's excitement. I can't discount that out. The Vali sounds more lush but at the cost of sounding slightly sluggish. 

post #2794 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by prions View Post
 

Hey, just got my Vali/Modi today. Using it with HD 598's.

 

How much background hissing/noise is acceptable? 

 

If you're annoyed, then it's not acceptable. LOL. 

post #2795 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
 

 

If you're annoyed, then it's not acceptable. LOL. 

 

I'm not annoyed by it, I just wanted to know if hissing is normal or I should get a new Vali. 

post #2796 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by prions View Post
 

 

I'm not annoyed by it, I just wanted to know if hissing is normal or I should get a new Vali. 


So are you annoyed? no..so far so good

so...

These are the questions you need to ask.

Do you like the sound? ...

Will you become annoyed in the future? ...

Is there a noise floor? Yes, is it too much? Only you can answer that.

post #2797 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post


So are you annoyed? no..so far so good
so...
These are the questions you need to ask.
Do you like the sound? ...
Will you become annoyed in the future? ...
Is there a noise floor? Yes, is it too much? Only you can answer that.

By the sound of things, he's not super annoyed. He just wants to know if it's common/normal among Vali's.

@prions - have you tried tapping it? With a screwdriver?
post #2798 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post


By the sound of things, he's not super annoyed. He just wants to know if it's common/normal among Vali's.

@prions - have you tried tapping it? With a screwdriver?

 

Exactly, I just want to make sure my unit isn't exceptionally sensitive seeing as it took a long time to ship and I hate sending things back if I don't have to.

 

Tapping it does cause mild ringing which subsides in around ~20-30 seconds. The volume knob is also causing ringing. I understand that's normal. I recieved my stack today and as I'm using the amp more I found the hissing to subside slightly, it's not loud at all. 

post #2799 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by prions View Post

Exactly, I just want to make sure my unit isn't exceptionally sensitive seeing as it took a long time to ship and I hate sending things back if I don't have to.

Tapping it does cause mild ringing which subsides in around ~20-30 seconds. The volume knob is also causing ringing. I understand that's normal. I recieved my stack today and as I'm using the amp more I found the hissing to subside slightly, it's not loud at all. 

Then I think it's normal for the vali. Did u check if your tubes are down?
post #2800 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post


Then I think it's normal for the vali. Did u check if your tubes are down?

Yeah they were down but I pressed them down a bit more and tried to relax the leads a bit. It seemed to help out actually. 

 

Getting the light back through the small hole was pretty annoying though ;)

post #2801 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post
In fact, the 6.5x gain on the o2 sounds worse than the 2.5x. That might just be me.

DAC output will overload O2 front end (VAS) at 6.5x, will sound a lot worse.

post #2802 of 4232

Are there any EU dealers that have the Vali in stock?

post #2803 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabwong View Post

 

Maybe it's just new buyer's excitement. I can't discount that out. The Vali sounds more lush but at the cost of sounding slightly sluggish. 

Yeaper, that's how I find it as well, although the better your dac the less sluggish it sounds, I've got a review of the Vali vs my NFB 10ES2. Give it a read, 

 

I found there where times when I enjoyed the smoothness and times when I wanted dat SOLID STATE SPEEEEED

post #2804 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkid View Post
 

Are there any EU dealers that have the Vali in stock?


My search did not turn up any! But hopefully, should come up soon at Electromod & Audiophonics.

post #2805 of 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala View Post
 


My search did not turn up any! But hopefully, should come up soon at Electromod & Audiophonics.

In stock at Electromod. I ordered mine Monday...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!