or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! - Page 74

post #1096 of 4963

Perhaps the Vali is just not good for the t50rp drivers. More burn-in and impressions will tell I suppose. 

post #1097 of 4963

Speaking of burnin-generally it's a bad idea to leave tube amps on nonstop for a number of reasons. I'm wondering with this small pencil-tube Vali if it's ok to leave on longer-say 24 hours here and there?  Tube life concerns aside.

 

-Daniel

post #1098 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleaK View Post
 


Always max out the volume on your PC(soundcard) and software. I am guessing the Vali would be a nice upgrade and play well with the HD650.


Thank you BleaK for your reply and advice, I really appreciate that! I did as you said and maxed out the volume on my soundcard (Titanium HD) and in JRiver MC (My media player software) where I am using WASAPI mode. When doing that I noticed that I barely had to turn up the volume on the FiiO E09K for it to be very loud. When doing that, the sound didn't seem as clean and tight as when I have a low volume on the soundcard, and the FiiO E09K turned up about half-way. Is this because the FiiO is a cheaper, solid-state amp and it will sound better using your method with a tube amp like the Vali? And being a new guy in the audiophile world, can you explain the benefit of having the Titanium HD's volume maxed before running it to an amp? Wouldn't that mean that I am getting more sound from the actual Titanium HD rather than the amp since I barely have to turn up the volume on the amp to get it to a good listening level? (Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am still a learner trying to learn from the masters).

 

Thank you again for your reply and help!

post #1099 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
 


Thank you BleaK for your reply and advice, I really appreciate that! I did as you said and maxed out the volume on my soundcard (Titanium HD) and in JRiver MC (My media player software) where I am using WASAPI mode. When doing that I noticed that I barely had to turn up the volume on the FiiO E09K for it to be very loud. When doing that, the sound didn't seem as clean and tight as when I have a low volume on the soundcard, and the FiiO E09K turned up about half-way. Is this because the FiiO is a cheaper, solid-state amp and it will sound better using your method with a tube amp like the Vali? And being a new guy in the audiophile world, can you explain the benefit of having the Titanium HD's volume maxed before running it to an amp? Wouldn't that mean that I am getting more sound from the actual Titanium HD rather than the amp since I barely have to turn up the volume on the amp to get it to a good listening level? (Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am still a learner trying to learn from the masters).

 

Thank you again for your reply and help!


Try using low gain.

post #1100 of 4963

Alright I will try that as I do have the high gain switch engaged on the amp. Thank you for your reply

post #1101 of 4963

So is there not a whole lot of play on the volume knob like the Magni? I've been using the Harrison Labs attenuator pair with no issues on my Magni since launch. I assume I'll need to use them with the Vali as well.

post #1102 of 4963
Homemade isolation platform. Rough cut. Sorry can't seem to upload pics.
post #1103 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by conheo View Post
 

Can't wait for Vali comes down to Australia.

 

So you can pay twice the price?

http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/schiit-audio-vali-tube-hybrid-headphone-amplifier

 

(but you do get free shipping)

post #1104 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 


Try using low gain.


Hi thegunner100,

 

Thank you again for your suggestion. I did as you recommended and switch the FiiO E09K Amp to low-gain, then proceeded to turn my soundcard and JRiver MC 19's volume to the max and just adjusting the volume with the FiiO E09K. When I did that, even at low volume levels there is a lot of distortion and the music files sound awful. Am I doing something wrong? Others suggested the same thing in different threads with people using internal soundcards with amps to max out the volume of the soundcard and your media player software, but when I do that, even on low-gain as you have suggested, the music files are really distorted and sound really bad.

 

If I am doing something wrong can you help me try to figure out what the problem could be? I am simply connecting a decent pair of RCA cables http://www.amazon.com/SonicWaveandtrade-Channel-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B009D4Y47O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385607564&sr=1-2&keywords=6ft+SonicWaveandtrade%3B+Dual+Channel+RCA+Stereo+Audio+Cable (not the best, but that's all I could afford) to the RCA Line-Outs on The Titanium HD to the RCA AUX-IN on the FiiO Amp (The only RCA inputs they have). I am at a loss as why the sound files I play at Max volume are distorted using the method you and others have suggested. The only way that I have found that sounds good is to have the volume one the Titanium HD turned down, and to turn up the volume of the amp. I am at a loss.

 

Any ideas what could be causing this anyone? Thank you in advance!

 

P.S. I know this is the Vali thread, but the reason I am posting this here is because I intend on getting a Vali within the next few days and want to make sure I can hear the amp with my Sennheiser HD650's to the Vali's full potential.


Edited by TheGame - 11/27/13 at 7:10pm
post #1105 of 4963

Hmm, make sure that the sound card is only being used as a dac for the RCA and that the amp on it is not being used. Also make sure all the DSP and other effects on the titanium HD are turned off. You could try setting the sound card's volume to 90-95% instead of 100. It could be clipping at 100%, im not sure.

post #1106 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post
 

Hmm, make sure that the sound card is only being used as a dac for the RCA and that the amp on it is not being used. Also make sure all the DSP and other effects on the titanium HD are turned off. You could try setting the sound card's volume to 90-95% instead of 100. It could be clipping at 100%, im not sure.


Thank you again for the reply. I have all enhancements and other effects disabled. The only setting I have it on is Headphones. And could you tell me how I can make the Titanium HD used only as a DAC with RCA without the Titanium HD's amp being used? Thank you once again for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it.


Edited by TheGame - 11/27/13 at 7:24pm
post #1107 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
 


Thank you again for the reply. I have all enhancements and other effects disabled. The only setting I have it on is Headphones. And could you tell me how I can make the Titanium HD used only as a DAC with RCA without the Titanium HD's amp being used? Thank you once again for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it.


Perhaps someone else can help you with that, as I am not familiar with sound cards. Would be best to start a new thread for that. 

post #1108 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame View Post
 


Thank you again for the reply. I have all enhancements and other effects disabled. The only setting I have it on is Headphones. And could you tell me how I can make the Titanium HD used only as a DAC with RCA without the Titanium HD's amp being used? Thank you once again for all of your help so far, I really appreciate it.

 

I believe the Titanium's headphone out is amplified, which would explain why it's clipping when you're trying to use it at full volume into another device's line in.   Use the "Line Out" on the sound card, not the "Headphone Out"

 

  -Mike

post #1109 of 4963

Thank you very much for all of your input and suggestions, I really appreciate all of your help, thank you!

post #1110 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamel View Post
 

 

I believe the Titanium's headphone out is amplified, which would explain why it's clipping when you're trying to use it at full volume into another device's line in.   Use the "Line Out" on the sound card, not the "Headphone Out"

 

  -Mike


Thank you for that advice, I never thought of that. I do use RCA Cables from the Line-outs of the Titanium HD Soundcard to the RCA-ins on the FiiO , but I do have the Titanium HD's software set to headphones. Should I change that setting in the software to 2 or 2.1 speakers instead of headphones when using the soundcard's Line-Outs? I will give that a try and get back with you probably by PM since this is really the thread for the Vali, I just wanted to be sure I had my soundcard setup correctly for when I do finally get the Vali to use as my amp to the Vali's true potential! Thank you all for your suggestions and help!


Edited by TheGame - 11/27/13 at 7:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!!