or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for first high quality headphonesin live, please help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for first high quality headphonesin live, please help!

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 

Hello guys,

First, since I am completely new in this forum, I want to apologize if I put the thread in the wrong section, please move this thread to the correct one.

 

These are my basic infos or needs, etc., which I want to share with you, before I explain my needs.

Form factor for the headphone which I prefer: full size headphone

To be used with: Samsung Salaxy S3 (App: Poweramp) with no extra/external amplifier

Must have function: microphone on the headphone or on the cable, with a button at least to pick up a call and play/pause the song, removable cable

Nice to have (not a must): Active noise cancelation and/or bluetooth.

Music taste: pop, rock, metal, electronic, hip-hop, classic...well...almost everything...I guess

Currently owned and daily used: Sony XB300 (Mobile device) and Logitech G35(PC, gaming)

Price range: €100-€300, please do not go over €300

Country: Germany

Fav store: amazon

Others:

- I have a really big head...AKG K518 and Sol Republic Master Tracks can not fit my head...

- I do travel with train a lot for about 1-3 hours long daily...the headphone should be relative comfortable..

- I am not that fond of all plastic construction unless it has too.

 

In this live I have never bought any real good headphones/headsets.

I am now looking for a really good headphone/headset but I am deeply lost in the audio headphone jungle.

I really really need your help. I do not even know where to start....but already did some research...but still can not really make up my mind..

 

The headphones I came up after the research are:

Bose QC15, AE2W, AE2i

V-Moda M100, LP, LP2, M80

Logitech UE6000

Sony MDR1BT and MDR1NC

Beats Studio (the new version)

Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear), PXC450, MM550X

Parrot Zik

KEF M500

 

I tried to read reviews on the internet but the more I read, the more I got confused.

Can you please help me?

I would be really grateful to you for any of your help.

 

Thanks :)

post #2 of 32

You don't want any of the bose ones if sound quality is a concern to you, neither the beats. The sony mdr1bt and nc are said to be not that great... The original mdr1 should be better in every way (and cheaper)

Sennheiser momentum control/buttons only work with Apple products AFAIK, else very good but not everyone thinks it is that comfortable, especially if you have big ears.

Judging from the general consensus you should get the v-moda m100 or m80 over the lp and lp2.

 

Maybe have a look at the akg k551, especially if you have a big head as the fit is loose for some. Don't know how much it isolate, but I think it would be adequate..

post #3 of 32
Thread Starter 

@davidsh:

Ah, first thanks for the reply,

I will try first to narrow down my choices...I think it will make my choices easier..

I will use your inputs first and also what I got in the last 1-2 hours...and also several thoughts...

 

For the Sony MDRs, if that is the case, I will put those out to narrow down the list. Those will be the first one to go due to the full plastic construction.

 

The Bose and the Beats, I will drop them as well,

I tried the Studio a couple of minutes ago...I hate it..I agree totally with your opinion.

The Boses, the AE2W has too short battery life according to the specs, the QC15 can not be used without battery, the AE2i...well I tried it too...not really for my taste for sound...something is missing in the sound but I dunno what.

 

After looking at the Sennheisers PXC450, MM550X...I will drop them as well...those are damn ugly..I would not bother the consider them as well.

 

As for your suggestion AKG K551. the key downside for me is the undetachable cable.  After some thoughts...I do not want having to buy  the complete headphone just because of the broken cable. I can not consider this unfortunately.

 

I am also skipping VModa M80,LP and LP2, I will aim directly to M100.

 

I am also killing Parrot Zik from the list due to the battery life.

 

KEF M500 also  will be put out of the list, I can not find enough review for this.

 

So..after  some narrowing down, the candidates are now:

V-Moda M100

Logitech UE6000 (this one is also all plastic  I assume, but is it worth to accept it due to NC?)

Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear)

 

Any thoughts for those 3?

Or other suggestions?


Edited by guanyu210379 - 10/8/13 at 2:24am
post #4 of 32

We need more opinions on this.

 

Sennheiser momentum can be borderline on-ear, but they are comfortable to me and not warm (no sweat).

 

The KEF500 is pretty new as I remember, and it is said to be very good, but doesn't isolate that well (from memory, reading around). I don't think you should worry about the cable on the k551 breaking btw but idk.

 

What kind of sound do you actually want? I can't help you that much further as of now. I own the sennheiser momentum myself by the way.

post #5 of 32
Thread Starter 

What kind of sound...hmmm..

crispy high, good mids, detailed, Dynamic, roomy, powerful bass, clear, not muffy or dull, good separation, ..I dunno how to describe it...but something like ATH-M50 or Beyer Dynamic Custom One pro...but a little bit more cheerful, if possible without loosing the lows...

post #6 of 32

Need a 2nd opinion.

 

Then you might not like the sennheiser. It has pretty precent bass, but can be slightly dark and withdrawn (not energetic) and it is also pretty relaxing. I like it a lot, though.

 

From your description I am thinking v-shaped response, pretty much like the m50 is (which might also be a possibility). The question is what you'd like best in the end... I guess one can't go wrong with the v-moda m100 but I have never heard it. Look at  this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/bassheads-delight-v-moda-crossfade-m-100-page-2

 

On another note, the g35 is indeed very lifeless and very dull, so maybe you'll find the momentums quite decent anyway.

 

Alternatively there is the sennheiser hd-25/amperior and beyerdynamic dt-1350


Edited by davidsh - 10/8/13 at 4:12am
post #7 of 32
Thread Starter 

The G35 I choose only due to the surround sound in game with robust construction and a decent microphone, not more and not less...I found it on a sepcial sale in a store near home...

I just need to hear if someone tries to sneak behind me in first person shooting and locating from where I was getting shot ...hehehehehe...

It sounds actually really terrible if I use it for music,the surround sound is good enough tho' for games.

I have never expected sound quality from it :)

 

Beyerdynamic dt-1350 and Sennheiser HD 25? I will take alook at them first.

 

How about Logitech UE6000? Is it any good?

 

hmmm... M100 looks good...it looks super robust, many said it has good sound quality but is it comfortable? how about the sound leakage and the isolation? anyone has any real experience with it?

It looks like this is my strongest candidate.

post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanyu210379 View Post
 

The G35 I choose only due to the surround sound in game with robust construction and a decent microphone, not more and not less...I found it on a sepcial sale in a store near home...

I just need to hear if someone tries to sneak behind me in first person shooting and locating from where I was getting shot ...hehehehehe...

It sounds actually really terrible if I use it for music,the surround sound is good enough tho' for games.

I have never expected sound quality from it :)

 

Beyerdynamic dt-1350 and Sennheiser HD 25? I will take alook at them first.

 

How about Logitech UE6000? Is it any good?

 

hmmm... M100 looks good...it looks super robust, many said it has good sound quality but is it comfortable? how about the sound leakage and the isolation? anyone has any real experience with it?

It looks like this is my strongest candidate.

 

 

 

I love my M-100 and comfort is really subjective... I find it comfortable but you might not. I Don't notice much sound leakage but I usually listen around 50%-65% with these headphones sound wise. They are pretty good at isolation as well ( on an airplane you might hear it muffled  but you will hear it but have no experience with an airplane with these)

post #9 of 32
You forgot the ATH WS99! I like it more than the ws99.

The kef is going to be my top recommendation, unless you need really good isolation.
post #10 of 32
Thread Starter 

@ClosingRacer:The only thing I am worried about with M100 is that small earcup...ah! I wear glasses too (forgot to mention this)... Other than that, I think VModa M100 would be the best pick...I guess...I wanna try to get hands on first for a couple of minutes on M100 before buying it but so far I can not find it beside online I will try to go inside apple store ...perhaps I can find it there...

Hard case, €240 price tag on amazon for the shadow version, that almost full metal construction, mic on cable, braided cable, etc...I really like it...like said...only worried with the comfort issue...

The leakage to the outside world (not the isolation to me) is quite important...here in Germany. people around you in trains or busses can be quite grumpy if the leakage is bad...I wanna check it first...

The isolation...well.. I am not really expecting the QC15 or any active NC quality but it should be good enough....at least like my G35...or better of course

 

UE6000 looks also nice...far not as nice as M100 tho'...

I think my last 2 choices will be only the UE6000 or the M100.

Unless someone has better suggestion of course.

 

@Trunks159: KEF M500 and  ATH-WS99 are relative new and I can not really find enough reviews yet....moreover...KEF M500 is on-ear (I kinda dislike this form factor unless it is cheap like my current XB300) and ATH-WS99's cable is not fully detacheable although I would say...from the looks, WS99 is also pretty..

post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanyu210379 View Post

@ClosingRacer:The only thing I am worried about with M100 is that small earcup...ah! I wear glasses too (forgot to mention this)... Other than that, I think VModa M100 would be the best pick...I guess...I wanna try to get hands on first for a couple of minutes on M100 before buying it but so far I can not find it beside online I will try to go inside apple store ...perhaps I can find it there...
Hard case, €240 price tag on amazon for the shadow version, that almost full metal construction, mic on cable, braided cable, etc...I really like it...like said...only worried with the comfort issue...
The leakage to the outside world (not the isolation to me) is quite important...here in Germany. people around you in trains or busses can be quite grumpy if the leakage is bad...I wanna check it first...
The isolation...well.. I am not really expecting the QC15 or any active NC quality but it should be good enough....at least like my G35...or better of course

UE6000 looks also nice...far not as nice as M100 tho'...
I think my last 2 choices will be only the UE6000 or the M100.
Unless someone has better suggestion of course.

@Trunks159: KEF M500 and  ATH-WS99 are relative new and I can not really find enough reviews yet....moreover...KEF M500 is on-ear (I kinda dislike this form factor unless it is cheap like my current XB300) and ATH-WS99's cable is not fully detacheable although I would say...from the looks, WS99 is also pretty..

V-moda has a 60 day test drive guarantee so you could try it out and return if you don't like them
post #12 of 32
Thread Starter 

@ClosingRacer: the 60 days testing guarantee? I found such thing only on amazon.com not on amazon.de. I do not know if it is also valid for us in Germany....or did I miss something? :(

post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by guanyu210379 View Post

@ClosingRacer: the 60 days testing guarantee? I found such thing only on amazon.com not on amazon.de. I do not know if it is also valid for us in Germany....or did I miss something? frown.gif


I would check v-moda website directly and if they have distributors I'm Germany they should honor it


Germany Germany
•AudioPalace
•Amazon
•Cyberport, Berlin-Mitte (location)
•Cyberport, Berlin-Steglitz (location)
•Cyberport, Berlin-Charlottenburg (location)
•Cyberport, Bochum (location)
•Cyberport, Dortmund (location)
•Cyberport, Dresden Elbepark (location)
•Cyberport, Dresden Waldschlosschen (location)
•Cyberport, Hamburg (location)
•Cyberport, Koln (location)
•Cyberport, Leipzig (location)
•Cyberport, Stuttgart
•Cyberport, Wien (location)
•Digital Noma
•Gravis GmbH (locations)
•HeadSound Audio
•Hifi Pawlak GmbH (location)
•King Music GmbH (location)
•Legalo GmbH
•Music and More
•Music Store Professional
•Ohrdio.de (location)
•Projekt Akustik Schönberg GmbH (location)
•Zimmerli Sounds



Those are the authorized resellers in Germany and if you buy from them V-moda should honor it ... But to be 100% sure you can Contact them for an answer directly from them


Also Amazon.com has a good return policy ( Idk about Germany but I would guess the same)
Edited by Closingracer - 10/8/13 at 10:20pm
post #14 of 32
Thread Starter 

Well the so called verified retailer...some of them even do not have V-Moda on the list...

But, I will try to find out the 60 days try out or try to get hands-on :)

post #15 of 32
Thread Starter 

On second thought...I will just simply order it from amazon.de.... :D

yup, I can return it in 2 weeks if it is really uncomfortable without any problem.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Looking for first high quality headphonesin live, please help!