or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Headphones for dubstep and electronic music under $200?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Headphones for dubstep and electronic music under $200?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hi,

I am fairly new to the audiophile community so I have a limited understanding of how to choose the right headset for the type of music I listen to.

I would like to get a pair of over ear headphones with some bass, as I plan on using to listen to dubstep and house music. I have read several reviews which suggest the beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro headphones, but since they're quite pricey for my budget, I want to be confident it's the right set of cans before I pull the trigger on them. I will be pairing the headphones with my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. My other concern is whether or not my sound card will have enough power to amp my headphones.

I am also open to suggestions for other headphones. Thanks for your help.
Edited by V4K3NT - 10/7/13 at 1:53pm
post #2 of 10

The best I've experienced is the ATH WS99.

post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post
 

The best I've experienced is the ATH WS99.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I looked up a few reviews on it and the only problem I had with it was that they are on-ear.  I appreciate your input though.

post #4 of 10

They're not really on ear.  They're as on ear as the 1r, momentum, Focal Spirit One, M100, etc.

post #5 of 10

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros might be a good fit for you OP. I find them to be very comfy for the most part. I don't listen to dubstep, but I do like a lot of other electronic music and they fit the bill quite nicely in that dept.


Edited by KarlAgathon - 10/7/13 at 7:32pm
post #6 of 10

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro would be a fantastic choice, but I don't know why you say they are pricey for your budget. Assuming your budget is the $200 in the thread title. They are $153 on Amazon right now. ASUS sound card should be plenty -- I used them with a Cmoy, which isn't exactly a fancy amp. 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro would be a fantastic choice, but I don't know why you say they are pricey for your budget. Assuming your budget is the $200 in the thread title. They are $153 on Amazon right now. ASUS sound card should be plenty -- I used them with a Cmoy, which isn't exactly a fancy amp.

 

Just went over to check them out. Why do you think they are priced so much lower then the other DT990 versions?


Edited by KarlAgathon - 10/7/13 at 7:46pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlAgathon View Post
 

 

Just went over to check them out. Why do you think they are priced so much lower then the other DT990 versions?

 

Branding. They look more plain and don't have premium in the name, I guess. But they are the exact same thing aside from the plastic housing and the headband. The pros have more clamp, but you can change that if you bend them a bit. The headband is just a single bar of metal with some padding wrapped around it, so there is 0 chance of breaking it. 

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

 

Branding. They look more plain and don't have premium in the name, I guess. But they are the exact same thing aside from the plastic housing and the headband. The pros have more clamp, but you can change that if you bend them a bit. The headband is just a single bar of metal with some padding wrapped around it, so there is 0 chance of breaking it.

 

Thanks! Really appreciate the info the info!

post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlAgathon View Post
 

The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros might be a good fit for you OP. I find them to be very comfy for the most part. I don't listen to dubstep, but I do like a lot of other electronic music and they fit the bill quite nicely in that dept.


Thanks Karl, I'll be sure to check them out as well.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by manbear View Post
 

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro would be a fantastic choice, but I don't know why you say they are pricey for your budget. Assuming your budget is the $200 in the thread title. They are $153 on Amazon right now. ASUS sound card should be plenty -- I used them with a Cmoy, which isn't exactly a fancy amp. 

 

Thanks manbear! I live in Canada and unfortunately Amazon.ca won't offer me the same prices as the American site, so I think I might have to get a relative with an address in the States to purchase for them me as I think these are right cans I'm looking for.  Also, thanks for the info on my sound card :) Much appreciated!

 

 


Edited by V4K3NT - 10/8/13 at 1:40am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Best Headphones for dubstep and electronic music under $200?