Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › DAC to upgrade from onboard audio
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DAC to upgrade from onboard audio

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Hi, I have the AD700's and I was thinking about getting a DAC to go along with it. Budget is somewhere around $150, but I don't need the best of the best; I'm currently using my headphones with on-board audio from my laptop, so anything will be a substantial upgrade. I saw the HRT Headstreamer looks to be a good choice... are there any other budget performers that I should be looking at?

 

Thanks :)

post #2 of 7

Do you already have an amp? If not, you will need one, or get a DAC with a built-in amp section.

post #3 of 7
Hey, I just replied to a similar question, so here are some questions to help you on a direction to happiness.

What type of music do you listen to?
Do you like the sound signature of the ad700's?
Do you need an amp as well? (Either now or in the future)

The HRT, latest schiit products, ODAC from JDS labs are all in your price range and review fantastically. Do some searches and read some reviews and I am sure some more experienced head-fiers will be along to help shortly.

Dave.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yay101 View Post

Hey, I just replied to a similar question, so here are some questions to help you on a direction to happiness.

What type of music do you listen to?
Do you like the sound signature of the ad700's?
Do you need an amp as well? (Either now or in the future)

The HRT, latest schiit products, ODAC from JDS labs are all in your price range and review fantastically. Do some searches and read some reviews and I am sure some more experienced head-fiers will be along to help shortly.

Dave.

 

I don't currently have an amp, but I don't think the AD700s need one (I could be wrong). I enjoy the way the AD700 sounds, so I would say I'm happy with the signature. A warmer sound would be alright but I won't be disappointed if the DAC is plain. I don't know if I have a music genre I like to listen to most; I like to try out all kinds, from blues to rock to pop to electronic. Right now I'm listening to dubstep and classic rock, but I'm sure that will change as time goes on. So I'd like things to be all-arounders if possible.

 

Thanks for the help!

post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conley View Post
 

Hi, I have the AD700's and I was thinking about getting a DAC to go along with it. Budget is somewhere around $150, but I don't need the best of the best; I'm currently using my headphones with on-board audio from my laptop, so anything will be a substantial upgrade. I saw the HRT Headstreamer looks to be a good choice... are there any other budget performers that I should be looking at?

Fiio E10 ($62-$75), USB-DAC-Amp, can't see a good reason for spend anymore for a DAC/Amp, for the ATH-AD700.

You could also sell off the ATH-AD700 for headphones with more bass.

post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

Fiio E10 ($62-$75), USB-DAC-Amp, can't see a good reason for spend anymore for a DAC/Amp, for the ATH-AD700.

You could also sell off the ATH-AD700 for headphones with more bass.

 

Is there a certain headphone you would recommend over the AD700's for all genres? Say my budget is <$150, used is fine.

post #7 of 7

Alternatively you could get a Hifimediy DAC for $42 and a Fiio E11, which AFAIK is a better amp than the one in the E10. E11 also has a bass boost function if you want that. Fiio products are already slightly warmer than neutral though, so either way they'll match up well with the AD700s.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › DAC to upgrade from onboard audio