or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NEW! AKG K812
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW! AKG K812 - Page 49  

post #721 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by emertxe View Post
 

 

Well, the K812 should have significantly more bass than HD800 while still offering very good soundstaging and good level of comfort... I can see a lot of people not being satisfied with HD800's amount of bass. But honestly, my excitement for K812 is even lower than weeks ago.

 

It definitely does not seem to be a giant killer/game changer like michaelxray and nomax suggested...

I don't expect it to be a "giant killer" but I'm still looking forward to them being that in comparison to the HD800 so far, the improvements are in areas that I like and the deficiencies are in areas less critical for my tastes.  I.E. more "fun" but still with a high level of technical accuracy.  I tend to put extra value on things like depth of soundstage, separation, and layering which have been spoken highly of so far.  Though I have to admit, the LCD-X has also piqued my curiosity, but I think I'd have to hear them first before buying, whereas I feel more comfortable buying the K812 blind.

post #722 of 978
Thread Starter 

The K812 pro will be available in the U.S. end of Nov. or early Dec.  I can't wait to get my paws on them!

post #723 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post
 

I'll give my take on it. I will bring my HD800's and HE6 to work to prepare

 

So when is this going to happen?

post #724 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

I don't really think people who do not have dedicated headphone system would want to buy 1.5K USD headphones for their iPad. Sennheiser Momentum and other decent fashion headphones have already covered that market.

 

And for people who have dedicated headphone system..... K812's low impedance and high sensitivity already barred people with tubes (one thing that will be problematic with LCD-X and XC as well).

My opinion is that K812 is rather decent headphone, but it has wrong/improper strengths for audiophile market. Pro market may like it (but for that price... I'd rather get decent nearfield monitors instead) tho.

... I think they will. THe doctor I used to work for played classical Piano... the Momentums [he had a pair some where, at the tiem I had no idea what they where just that they where ugly] apprently didn't sound real enough for him...  I think some clever marketing will sell this to well rich folk 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

Depend on my Audeze's shipping date, you will hear my crappy comparison with HD800, T1 and LCD-2. Sadly I do not have any HE headphones.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
 

 

So when is this going to happen?

post #725 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

I don't really think people who do not have dedicated headphone system would want to buy 1.5K USD headphones for their iPad. Sennheiser Momentum and other decent fashion headphones have already covered that market.

 

And for people who have dedicated headphone system..... K812's low impedance and high sensitivity already barred people with tubes (one thing that will be problematic with LCD-X and XC as well).

My opinion is that K812 is rather decent headphone, but it has wrong/improper strengths for audiophile market. Pro market may like it (but for that price... I'd rather get decent nearfield monitors instead) tho.

 

You are wrong about that. I'd be happy to pay 1.5k USD for a headphone that runs great on my iPad. 

 

These AKG K812 Pro are perfect for me since at home I got big studio monitors so i don't really need headphones. But when working on my Macbook Pro with a portable amp, I need something that is easy to drive. This is the reason i have the Shure SRH 1840 which is incredibly easy to drive. And perhaps upgrade to the AKG K812 Pro if it is indeed a big step up from the Shure SRH 1840.

post #726 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

I don't really think people who do not have dedicated headphone system would want to buy 1.5K USD headphones for their iPad. Sennheiser Momentum and other decent fashion headphones have already covered that market.

 

And for people who have dedicated headphone system..... K812's low impedance and high sensitivity already barred people with tubes (one thing that will be problematic with LCD-X and XC as well).

My opinion is that K812 is rather decent headphone, but it has wrong/improper strengths for audiophile market. Pro market may like it (but for that price... I'd rather get decent nearfield monitors instead) tho.

... I think they will. THe doctor I used to work for played classical Piano... the Momentums [he had a pair some where, at the tiem I had no idea what they where just that they where ugly] apprently didn't sound real enough for him...  I think some clever marketing will sell this to well rich folk 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore View Post
 

 

So when is this going to happen?

Well, if decent fashing headphones are not enough for him, he can still get decent audiophile headphones with cheaper than $1.5K. Throw HD600, Schiit or O2 mini-combo and any decent bluetooth transmitter you get very convenient $700ish setup that can be easily maintained and upgradable... Far better logical, safer choice than gamble everything into a single expensive headphone.

 

And well, if I am in Drew's first batch (I ordered mine at October 24th. I might have to wait longer) then hopefully next week. Watch LCD-X thread in High end forum closely.

 

By the way, dlablanc343 has already posted his friend's impression on different thread. It is said at best, K812 is on par with HD800.

post #727 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by emertxe View Post
 

 

For 900USD, I would seriously consider them if the FR really is as neutral as some claim... On the other hand, quite many also state that there is certain midbass emphasis which makes them sound in between HD800 and TH900 = that would be an instant dealbreaker for me. This is supported (at least for me) by the fact that many people consider neutral what actually is bass-emphasised (like K712 Pro).

 

For 1500USD? Not a chance because of:

 

1) leather pads (leather pads, seriously?)

2) no true balanced mode possible

3) no 1/4 cable

4) Inferior soundstage dimensionality in comparison to HD800...? We'll see.

 

 Maybe for you it's true but I don't think it's this way for many people. 
1. Some people prefer leather pads and many dont care at all. For a example all stax headphones have leather(or pleather) pads and people like them. In addition pleather pads usually last for much longer time.
2. Not so many people have fully balanced rigs. Actually to have some profit from balanced connection you need not only balanced headphones but balanced dac and amp. It's pretty expensive and from my expirience balanced connection is not so useful for headphones. And on the other hand single sided Akg's cable is much more comfortable.
3. So what? Is there any difference? And you shouldn't forget that Akg k812 are going to sound well with portable devices (so many people crave it) and most of them don't have 1/4 hole.
   4. That's right we'll see. But already from those impressions Akg k812 seems to be better for many people. I know a lot of those who think that HD800 is a nice pair of heaphones but too bright and doesn't have enough bass. Actually, most of the people I know think so and for them here is Akg K812. 
If all those impressions are true in my opinium for 1500 usd Akg is a better choice than Hd800 and not to mention crappy Beyerdynamic T1.


Edited by qazxsw80 - 10/26/13 at 10:49am
post #728 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by qazxsw80 View Post
 

crappy Beyerdynamic T1.

:O SHAME on you :[ 

 

anyways, yea I think the K812 will compete well with the HD 800 different ppl like different things 

post #729 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

Indeed, that's why you can grab T1 for bass department. :P    Seriously, T1 is very good, versatile truly-reference headphone that can pretty much take care of all kinds of music. 

 

Had nomax or michaelxray not spammed the whole time, our excitement would had been much higher and I might had been waiting for K812 now instead of pre-ordering LCD-X. But now my money is gone to Audeze.

Because of their spamming you decided to go Audeze? Now that's most retarded excuse I've ever seen (no offense)

 

You don't even have to read their comments, let alone you let it effect your decision that much

post #730 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

 

Indeed, that's why you can grab T1 for bass department. :P    Seriously, T1 is very good, versatile truly-reference headphone that can pretty much take care of all kinds of music. 

 

Had nomax or michaelxray not spammed the whole time, our excitement would had been much higher and I might had been waiting for K812 now instead of pre-ordering LCD-X. But now my money is gone to Audeze.

Because of their spamming you decided to go Audeze? Now that's most retarded excuse I've ever seen (no offense)

 

You don't even have to read their comments, let alone you let it effect your decision that much

In truth, their spamming was actually beneficial because it helped unnecessary hype die much faster, allowing people to make rational decision.

 

LCD-X has not really gotten such crazy praise as much as K812 has from those two particular members too.

 

 

The main reason I went to Audeze is that I already have headphones that have very similar sounding compared to K812 (mainly HD800 and Beyer), Isn't it more logical to go for headphones with different sounding and different technology? I am not sure why my decision is retarded.

post #731 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headzone View Post
 

Because of their spamming you decided to go Audeze? Now that's most retarded excuse I've ever seen (no offense)

 

You don't even have to read their comments, let alone you let it effect your decision that much

 

The spamming really is a buzzkill, though.

post #732 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

In truth, their spamming was actually beneficial because it helped unnecessary hype die much faster, allowing people to make rational decision.

 

LCD-X has not really gotten such crazy praise as much as K812 has from those two particular members too.

 

 

The main reason I went to Audeze is that I already have headphones that have very similar sounding compared to K812 (mainly HD800 and Beyer), Isn't it more logical to go for headphones with different sounding and different technology? I am not sure why my decision is retarded.

I'd be willing to bet the LCD X wil over take the K812, it's balanced for one, and PLanars... well there's sub bass... I too want an LCD X very badly my self as well :x 

post #733 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

well I think it could be, just not for our market... for those with un limited funds and an iPad... 32ohms is a God send. I know a few doctors. Used to clean for them, these guys have apple everything and most of them have NICE speaker set ups, and ever now and then we'd talk headphones. And they knew at the very least low ohm=iPad friendly... SO for the... rich enough to care,but not undersatnd, market of music lovers... these are a giant killer

 

to US in our market... yea maybe not so much 

 

To be honest, I use my GR07 IEMs for portable/bed listening... And I have zero needs for something better. I also dont see many reasons why anyone would want to own 1500USD headphone for ipad listening o_O I mean - is it really needed? My GR07 sound brilliant with any smartphone... I prefer them over any full-size headphone up to 500USD or even higher, including K712 Pro (which I like a lot!). Brutal price/performance ratio. Though, I quite dont like IEMs, sad :-(

 

Quote
Originally Posted by wnmnkh View Post
 

In truth, their spamming was actually beneficial because it helped unnecessary hype die much faster, allowing people to make rational decision.

 

LCD-X has not really gotten such crazy praise as much as K812 has from those two particular members too.

 

 

The main reason I went to Audeze is that I already have headphones that have very similar sounding compared to K812 (mainly HD800 and Beyer), Isn't it more logical to go for headphones with different sounding and different technology? I am not sure why my decision is retarded.

 

Keep us posted especially about the comfort level vs HD800 or T1 or similar...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWahl View Post
 

I don't expect it to be a "giant killer" but I'm still looking forward to them being that in comparison to the HD800 so far, the improvements are in areas that I like and the deficiencies are in areas less critical for my tastes.  I.E. more "fun" but still with a high level of technical accuracy.  I tend to put extra value on things like depth of soundstage, separation, and layering which have been spoken highly of so far.  Though I have to admit, the LCD-X has also piqued my curiosity, but I think I'd have to hear them first before buying, whereas I feel more comfortable buying the K812 blind.

 

The problem is that once you try to add more bass, HD800 start to sound quite like an ordinary headphone... That unique speaker-like sound starts to disappear. I do really believe that the bass level on HD800 is fully intentional and it corresponds with what I hear when attending live gigs.

post #734 of 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

I'd be willing to bet the LCD X wil over take the K812, it's balanced for one, and PLanars... well there's sub bass... I too want an LCD X very badly my self as well :x 

For some, it will depend if it manages to fix the planar imaging in general.  Their "fazer" plates seem promising for correcting time alignment.  I'd be curious to see if it can compete with top dynamics in this regard.  There are certain aspects of the planar sound which I love but this usually kills it for me.  I could be willing to sacrifice the comfort if this was corrected.  The reduction is price from LCD-3 is good too but I've never heard of anyone getting an MSRP discount on an Audeze or Hifiman phone unfortunately.

post #735 of 978

As far as I have read, the comfort of LCD-X and XC is same as LCD-3, which uses same pads. I really do not think it is any lighter than older LCD models.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NEW! AKG K812