Is that the metric version?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K812tagged by nightmancometh, 12/6/13
Related Forum Threads
- Need help : Screw driver for AKG K812 Last post on 7/4/16 at 12:18am in Headphones (full-size)
- Closed Cans, looking... Last post on 8/6/16 at 9:00pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 2/24/17 at 10:42am in Headphones (full-size)
- AKG K8XX massdrop?! K812 Last post on 1/30/15 at 1:45pm in Headphones (full-size)
- My Video Review of the AKG K812 (on SALE in Hong Kong!) Last post on 12/22/14 at 4:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
I have had 2 pairs and both have stopped working, these aren't professional headphones and I'd stay away from them if you want to keep them longer than a year of professional use. Spend your...
just want to order one and will try the reviews once get it FBA seems be fast waiting
NEW! AKG K812 - Page 41
Gear mentioned in this thread:
What has also piqued my curiosity is that the driver shows 2 sets of terminals, which suggests a possible dual voice coil configuration, similar to what's seen in many subwoofers.
EDIT: If this truly is a dual voice coil design, expect it to benefit most from high current amps, though the efficiency should help offset that a bit.
That's not two sets of terminals, it's a voice coil post and cable soldering post (so as not to desolder the very delicate coil wire). Plus and minus poles are on opposite sides for balanced movement of the coil/diaphragm assembly.
Isn't this pretty much what I said?
This is my own personal niggle. The lower impedance of the K812. Peeps who buy summit fi hp's (generally) have very good amplifiers and a lot of these high end amps are tube based. Looks like the AKG's may only play well with ss amps with very low impedance. Most folks who already own the HD800's may not take the risk of buying this hp because their amps will be no good.
Can't blame them though, low impedance is sort after now as more and more peeps use portable rigs and little desktop amps. Hp's are very sensitive these days. They need to toughen up if you ask me... There's a lot of powerful amps out there in the real world!
This is an interesting remark. Low impedance almost always equals heavier voice coils, increased moving mass, and thus worse transient response and control of the membrane. A stronger magnet may balance this, but it's still a compromise where higher efficiency is prioritised. It's a pity, since some of the most transparent amps out there are OTL designs, and they don't like low impedance headphones.
Another thing to add on impedence, high impedence requires more voltage to drive the efficiency in dampening factor (voltage swing), low impedence requires more currents rather than more voltage.
Bad news guys, it's going to be tomorrow (tuesday), however I can't go in to work just to try them out as I really need to study for a midterm examination. My colleague has a fair bit of experience and will give me his honest opinion, which I will let you all know about. I left my HD800 at work for him to compare, as I feel these two are going to be competing for the throne.
As for release in Canada, well, Quebec to be precise; I was told 4-5 weeks over the phone. Very limited quantities though, kind of expecting back orders like with the SE846 since August.
I'm excited to hear from my friend, I'll be able to make a fair judgement based on his opinions as I know he critiques pretty well. It's not me, but oh well
Sorry for disappointing you all
- NEW! AKG K812
- › Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread. 12 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 23 seconds ago
- › Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread 34 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 38 seconds ago
- › Noble Audio Savant, Massdrop 'X' Edition. 2 minutes ago
- › COMING SOON: Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth,... 3 minutes ago
- › New Matrix Audio X-Server info (and a bit about the X-Sabre 2 as well) 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 5 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 5 minutes ago
- › Best gaming mice 6 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › SONY Walkman A series NW-A35 (R) (16GB) (Sina bar Red) by meringo
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by Ike1985
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear