Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NEW! AKG K812
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW! AKG K812 - Page 33  

post #481 of 985

looks interesting..

post #482 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

Yup! My exact though when I saw the pics was "ohh those aren't lights!" biggrin.gif

Seems a little bit silly to paint the driver, but it does look kind of cool. They must have really payed attention to lighting on the video.

It does look like LED in the video haha..

Whatever it is, I like blue color xD
post #483 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolom View Post
AKG's K812 page has been updated:

http://www.akg.com/k812-1308.html

 

Holy crap @ the specs! 36 Ohm impedance with 110 dB/V sensitivity? Dang the K812 is probably the most efficient AKG that I've ever seen! I like those specs a lot. That means it'll also be properly driven by something like the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, just like my Audio-Technica AD2K is.

 

I'm really glad to see specs like those, it's actually sort of refreshing since certain other competitors' flagships are really inefficient and need high-voltage amps to shine. Maybe we're starting to see a trend towards more-efficient flagships since the Audeze LCD-X/LCD-XC have increased efficiency over the LCD-2/LCD-3 too....

post #484 of 985

Two-layer voice coil???

Does that mean it has two (of the same channel) circuits running through the coil? (which would explain two sets of contacts on the rear of the driver)

post #485 of 985
Waiting for (decent/thorough) reviews/impressions.

Itching for Xmas.
post #486 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post
 

Seems a little bit silly to paint the driver, but it does look kind of cool. They must have really payed attention to lighting on the video.

 

AKG used colored plastic for their drivers in the '70s. Red, green, and white. In the '80s, they decided they wanted nothing to do with color and went with grey for everything.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Two-layer voice coil???

Does that mean it has two (of the same channel) circuits running through the coil? (which would explain two sets of contacts on the rear of the driver)

 

Or just the copper/aluminum thing as they mention? Plus, this kind of coil started back in the '80s, no?

 

Also, I think it's somewhat amusing how they hype up the size of the driver, as for instance Sennheiser's flagship already in the '70s had a 100 mm driver. But I guess AKG are more about dynamic drivers.


Edited by vid - 10/18/13 at 3:04am
post #487 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post

Or just the copper/aluminum thing as they mention? Plus, this kind of coil started back in the '80s, no?

 

Normally wouldn't they say "copper coated aluminium" instead of "two layer" which is actually kinda misleading/inaccurate?

post #488 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREQ View Post
 

Normally wouldn't they say "copper coated aluminium" instead of "two layer" which is actually kinda misleading/inaccurate?

 

I think you summed up marketing with that last bit, and there certainly is enough misleading jargon in AKG's newest effort. Other than that, they only talk about the copper/aluminum thing in the short bit, hence I suspect it's all there is.

post #489 of 985
I hope that all this sarcastically negative twaddle stops as soon as people start post more impressions.
post #490 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore View Post

I hope that all this sarcastically negative twaddle stops as soon as people start post more impressions.

 



Probably not!!!

Even if most of the feedback comments are very positive after reviewing, some will still be annoyed about the price of the item...wink.gif


Rightly, or wrongly the price AKG are asking is what it is.
If after listening to them they blow you away, just a matter of deciding then are they worth that kind of investment to you personally!

If they are, then sell some of your other equipment to buy them, save up some money, or if you're fortunate to earn enough that you can just go out and buy them straight away (not me I'm afraid, will be one of the former for me) then do so if need be...
Edited by Homage - 10/18/13 at 4:22am
post #491 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asr View Post
 

 

Holy crap @ the specs! 36 Ohm impedance with 110 dB/V sensitivity? Dang the K812 is probably the most efficient AKG that I've ever seen! I like those specs a lot. That means it'll also be properly driven by something like the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite, just like my Audio-Technica AD2K is.

 

Which is roughly a sensitivity of 96 db/mW... I think the K7xx are around 91.


Edited by Armaegis - 10/18/13 at 8:34am
post #492 of 985

1.5tesla.....!?  tat should scramble my braincells away from worries of the day during the listening session :P

post #493 of 985

I really, really hope these AKG's drop in price to about half in a couple years, like their 70X lines. $1500 is out of reach for me atm.

post #494 of 985

Are the pads user replaceable? LOL it'd be hilarious if they were not!

 

Pretty much I don't care about the K812 because i'm too broke for a $1500 headphone. Maybe someday.

 

Not worth it when I don't listen to music more than a few hours a day. If I had a studio or something, then sure..

post #495 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

Are the pads user replaceable? LOL it'd be hilarious if they were not!

 

Pretty much I don't care about the K812 because i'm too broke for a $1500 headphone. Maybe someday.

 

Not worth it when I don't listen to music more than a few hours a day. If I had a studio or something, then sure..

 

I would say it could be worth the money if you know exactly what you are searching for... Like the most linear and tight bass possible, the most lifelike vocals, the best microdetail or the most expansive soundstage, ... If you are "just curious how much better these could play against what I have", then no, definitely not worth the money. Nothing I've heard above 500USD is worth the money if you don't know exactly what you are after (and are ready to spend a lot of money to build a suitable audio chain around the headphone). Just my opinion.


Edited by emertxe - 10/18/13 at 10:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › NEW! AKG K812