I've gotten a ton of good info on by reading these forums and am hoping this is a good place to ask this question.
I'm pretty close to pulilng the trigger on a Peachtree Decco 65 and some Dali speakers to go with it.
I'll also be purchasing some good over the ear headphones so I can listen to it at night.
At the moment though, I am focused on what to use as the signal source.
I have most of my cd collection in flac files and have purchased some hi-res tracks from HDTracks (96kHz/24bit).
I've been messing with a number of media servers on a linux box (XMBC, Plex, MediaTomb, Logitech Media Server).
I'm not intersted in anything but 2 channel audio for this.
Here are my requirements:
- Must support 192khz/24bit flac files.
- Must be able to run headless. I prefer an Android remote app. My wife prefers to not have a bunch of equipment in our living room where I will be setting this up.
- Would like to incorporate Pandora (I do have a Pandora One acct).
I've been considering the following, but am still researching. I'm not sure if these meet me needs yet or not
- Logitech Squeezebox Touch -- probably the easiest, but most expensive
- Raspberry PI running XMBC or may RasbyFI -- Not sure about the USB to DAC feed. Also not sure what it can handle in terms of file formats and resolution
- Small micro PC running XMBC, Plex, etc. So far, neither of these apps are perfect. I haven't been able to get either to send anything but 44.1 to my AV receiver. If I run MPD, I can get the higher bitrate files, but I haven't had any success with the MPD client addon in XMBC. I haven't gotten Pandora to work in Plex. Note, there is not concern about the bit rate with Pandora....it's just for convenience/background music. not critical listening. Pandora works in XMBC, but not via the Android remote.
- Sony SNP-N200...pretty cheap on flea bay and looks like it may do the trick. Haven't researched it yet for file formats.
In general, I am open to suggestions. I'm trying to keep this as budget friendly as possible. Ideally, under $300.