Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) - Page 28  

post #406 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post


Exactly. My opinion could be completely different than the person im recommending to, so my opinion could actually hurt the cause.

And your opinion is inaccurate because you never heard it before.

 

An opinion formed from using/hearing a headphone is more reliable than an opinion based on what you think a headphone sounds like.

 

It's called forming an opinion based on your own experience not on someone else's opinion, or in this case the opinion based on hype.


Edited by RoMee - 3/17/14 at 10:22am
post #407 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post

Yeah I'm pretty sure if we took this board and made sure no one made any comments about any products they hadn't personally used then about 75% of the traffic would go away.
That's it. That assumption you made. You haven't done any experiments, and your not citing any sources. Your opinion doesn't mean much. (No offense in all this just good discussion)
post #408 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Yeah I'm pretty sure if we took this board and made sure no one made any comments about any products they hadn't personally used then about 75% of the traffic would go away.

 

And we'd all be better off for it.

post #409 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

 

Nope, it still doesn't mean anything because just because you tell me that X is good/bad, having heard them, doesn't actually inform me of anything beyond that you have heard them and have an opinion. It means nothing in terms of what I will think of it. There is no information to be gleaned from what others say, all understanding must be derived via first-hand experience, correct? There is no such thing as logical induction or extrapolation. 

 

In fact, I'm gonna start using this against every single person who talks down on Monster/Beats headphones. Unless they have intimate experience with absolutely every single product both of those companies make, they're not allowed to form an opinion on it. 

post #410 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

And your opinion is inaccurate because you never heard it before.

 

An opinion formed from using/hearing a headphone is more reliable than an opinion based on what you think a headphone sounds like.

 

So if you read 100 reviews of a headphone that all say "they have no bass", and then someone tells you that they are the bassiest headphones in the world, you're not going to be skeptical of that claim until you listen for yourself?

 

I'm genuinely concerned for the world if there are so many people floating about who are incapable of inference and reason.

post #411 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

So if you read 100 reviews of a headphone that all say "they have no bass", and then someone tells you that they are the bassiest headphones in the world, you're not going to be skeptical of that claim until you listen for yourself?

 

I'm genuinely concerned for the world if there are so many people floating about who are incapable of inference and reason.

 

Being skeptical is one thing, telling them they're wrong without having heard the phones yourself is another. You can certainly tell them "but most reviews say they have no bass, so what do you base your opinion on, and which other headphones have you tried?", but not "you're wrong because I've read reviews that contradict your experience even though I have none myself".

 

How hard is that to understand?


Edited by elmoe - 3/17/14 at 10:23am
post #412 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

So if you read 100 reviews of a headphone that all say "they have no bass", and then someone tells you that they are the bassiest headphones in the world, you're not going to be skeptical of that claim until you listen for yourself?

 

I'm genuinely concerned for the world if there are so many people floating about who are incapable of inference and reason.

 

A headphone review should be used to give you a basic idea of the characteristics of a headphone, nothing more.

You need to hear the headphone and judge for yourself and form your own opinion based on your preference not use someone else's opinion.


Edited by RoMee - 3/17/14 at 10:27am
post #413 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

 

Being skeptical is one thing, telling them they're wrong without having heard the phones yourself is another.

 

The thing is, this logic can apply to anything. You can be "skeptical" that I don't have a unicorn in my spare bedroom, but until you come here and look for yourself you can't say "for a fact" that I don't. However, you'd be off your damn rocker to just shrug and say "I'm skeptical but cannot determine one way or another" if I said that.

 

That's how skepticism works. You have amassed information from elsewhere and are hesitant to believe a claim that runs counter to that. No one is saying "I know for a fact that this is wrong", but what we're all saying is "I have an incredibly hard time believing..."

post #414 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

The thing is, this logic can apply to anything. You can be "skeptical" that I don't have a unicorn in my spare bedroom, but until you come here and look for yourself you can't say "for a fact" that I don't. However, you'd be off your damn rocker to just shrug and say "I'm skeptical but cannot determine one way or another" if I said that.

 

That's how skepticism works. You have amassed information from elsewhere and are hesitant to believe a claim that runs counter to that. No one is saying "I know for a fact that this is wrong", but what we're all saying is "I have an incredibly hard time believing..."

 

You don't have to deal in absolutes when trying to find out whether or not a headphone sounds good. People thinking a cheap headphone sounds better than a TOTL is a pretty common thing, it's a matter of preference. Some people will love Grado SR60i in your face sound and will find the LCD-2 boring and thus prefer the former - there's nothing wrong with that. I myself have heard the HD800 extensively but still FAR prefer my Grado SR325i which cost a fraction of the HD800's price.

post #415 of 495

I think the best way to say this is, don't judge a book by its cover until you read the book. 

 

If you don't get this then it's a hopeless cause. Because what you're doing is judging and forming an opinion on a book without reading it.


Edited by RoMee - 3/17/14 at 10:33am
post #416 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoe View Post
 

 

You don't have to deal in absolutes when trying to find out whether or not a headphone sounds good. People thinking a cheap headphone sounds better than a TOTL is a pretty common thing, it's a matter of preference. Some people will love Grado SR60i in your face sound and will find the LCD-2 boring and thus prefer the former - there's nothing wrong with that. I myself have heard the HD800 extensively but still FAR prefer my Grado SR325i which cost a fraction of the HD800's price.

 

Let's just remember that the point of the dang thread was having some fun with "what do you think is overrated/underrated"? I think the Mikros 90 thread way overstates the product based on what I've read elsewhere and no I'm not spending $70 to test this theory. That's my opinion. Not apologizing and if it bothers you THAT much then like I said we can put a wager on it. Otherwise, it's my opinion, and as you said, opinions cannot be wrong. ;)

post #417 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 Otherwise, it's my opinion, and as you said, opinions cannot be wrong. ;)

 

But you have been claiming that opinions can be wrong.   There is no way that the Mikros 90s can be that good...the opinions of Mikros owners must be wrong.  There is no way the 2009 Honda Fit is the best driving car in the world.  Whoever holds that opinion must be wrong. 

post #418 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyDude View Post
 

 

Let's just remember that the point of the dang thread was having some fun with "what do you think is overrated/underrated"? I think the Mikros 90 thread way overstates the product based on what I've read elsewhere and no I'm not spending $70 to test this theory. That's my opinion. Not apologizing and if it bothers you THAT much then like I said we can put a wager on it. Otherwise, it's my opinion, and as you said, opinions cannot be wrong. ;)

 

My opinions are based on actually listening to the product though. Certainly, opinions can't be wrong, but if you haven't listened, then you do not have an opinion on the sound - only on what you THINK/HAVE READ the sound is like, and that's very different.

 

Why do I even have to explain this to you?? :confused: 

post #419 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMee View Post
 

You should take opinions from people who have never use the product in question with a mountain of salt.

To me if someone is talking and/or has an opinion about a headphone they have never heard before, their opinions is invalid. 

 

Would you ever ask someone who has never driven a car to teach you how to drive? 

 

It was clear from my post that I was conveying my personal experience having given it a preliminary listen before burning it in.

 

I shall suppose that you accidentally misunderstood me. Please read more carefully and respond more considerately.

post #420 of 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

It was clear from my post that I was conveying my personal experience having given it a preliminary listen before burning it in.

 

I shall suppose that you accidentally misunderstood me. Please read more carefully and respond more considerately.

I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about the opinion you responded to. I'm sorry if I didn't make that more clear.


Edited by RoMee - 3/17/14 at 11:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)