- 1,025 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: U.S. Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productSennheiser HD 439 Headphones Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones? Last post on 10/12/12 at 11:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- V Moda M100s worth the upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-M50s? Last post on 4/23/14 at 11:17pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Basically im becoming less of a basshead.Interested in srh440.comparable to these sets? Last post on 3/22/14 at 7:52pm in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I'm giving these a 4 based on sound quality alone. I'm a cheap headphone user; I've gone from cheap headphone to cheap headphone over the past decade or so. I started with the Skullcandy Ink'd...
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) - Page 18post #256 of 49510/16/13 at 1:43pmI don't know, I don't see them get talk awhole lot anymore or get recommended.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #257 of 49510/16/13 at 1:49pmpost #258 of 49510/17/13 at 3:51pmpost #259 of 49510/17/13 at 4:01pmpost #260 of 49510/17/13 at 4:20pmpost #261 of 49510/17/13 at 6:45pmpost #262 of 49511/10/13 at 6:24pm
I'll comment on pricing, not rating; maybe it's easier to agree about that.
Over-priced: any headphone over $999, most Sennheisers, anyone's modded Fostex over $300, most Hifiman given their build
Under-priced: many Kosses, Fostex RP series (so far)post #263 of 49511/10/13 at 8:32pmQuote:
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi cubculture right there. I do agree that most low-end Senns don't live up to their price point, but I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. I don't have enough hands-on experience with Hifiman to give judgement either way.
Koss seems to be a forgotten and underappreciated headphone brand a lot of the time. The DJ100 is a pretty neat can, the Portapro is a classic, and the ESP950 is still a very capable (if outdated) electrostat. I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
It just goes to show how subjective our hobby is.post #264 of 49511/10/13 at 9:15pmQuote:Originally Posted by ssrock64
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi subculture right there.
[...] I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. [...] I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
I didn't intend to offend anyone: we're all friends here. Simply because something's overpriced doesn't mean that I won't buy it if I want it enough, only I know I'm being ripped off and I can't fool myself.
I think the RP series are decent enough from the factory, and worth every penny of their street prices. Their potential is great -- as we see from some commercial mods which range from competent to expert. But those mods, no matter how good, are certainly over-priced if the cost is more than $300. My opinion: buy it if you really want it, but know what you're being sold and what it should cost.post #265 of 49511/10/13 at 9:46pm
I built a highly modded T50RP. For about $140 invested total its an amazing phone. I managed to snag some He-400s for a good price and I adore them as well. I would say that at $300 the HE-400 are a noticeable step up. But if you pay retail, then yes I would say they are over priced.post #266 of 49511/10/13 at 10:29pm
I find the AKG K612 Pro quite underrated. Although technically it's more overlooked than anything. It's extremely neutral and linear and has good detail, depth, soundstage, imaging, transparency, and refinement. It's more linear and neutral than the HD 600 and DT 880 to my ears while being in the same tier in terms of sound quality.
Edited by kman1211 - 11/10/13 at 10:31pmpost #267 of 49511/11/13 at 3:19ampost #268 of 49511/11/13 at 5:50am
This is all based on headphones/IEMs I have heard in the past either by demoing or owning a set:
Heir Audio IEMs (4.Ai specifically) - boy oh boy this is actually the first IEM set of over $200 that have dissapointed me so badly. The reviews were positive in the web but it was just not my cup of tea. The highs were tiring and piercing.
V-Moda M100 - For me the bass was loose, but it doesn't stop making it one of the fun headphones. At the price point, I would find other alternatives.
Aiaiai Headphones - I actually anticipated these but found wanting after hearing their lines due to the overbearing bass.
Audeze LCD-2 - The uncomfortableness really puts me off. Haven't heard it paired with a high end amplifiers.
Sony MA900 - I thought at first sight that these were only about $100 hp until I've heard the sound. Asked the shop owner to find out the price and for me it is justified by the sound.
1964 Ears IEMs - Really lack of appreciation for these IEMs, to me they sound really good and punch above their pricepoint.
Apex Glacier - Sleek with great forward sound, if paired incorrectly it can cause piercing treble but with the correct pairing it is simply amazing.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Simply high class for around $200
HE-400 - At first it was heavily overrated here but up to now for the price range, it does really well of keeping its place in the recommended headphone under $500. The only mainstay headphone so far in my inventory. The bass evens out the sparkly treble for me, very fun sounding.
Sennheiser HD 25-ii - Old school but does music just right. Really good for rock music.
HE-500 - Probably one of the headphone that might dethrone my HE-400. The sound was just smooth and effortless.post #269 of 49511/11/13 at 6:04ampost #270 of 49511/11/13 at 7:45am
Ok, this looks like a fun thread, gonna chime in with my 2c:
- Sennheiser HD800. Yes, it's a fantastic headphone but probably the worst sounding and the most amp-picky of anything even close to its price. It's very sibilant and analytical sounding for such a pricey headphone. Requires a great Eddie Current amp or the like in order to sound fantastic. So as not to make this about being over-priced rather than overrated, I'll say that I see tons of these at head-fi meets but don't usually spend too much time at those tables.
In the general public:
Anything by Beats! Enough said.
- The HE-Audio Jade. I guess every pair sounds a little different but the ones I've heard rival the HE90 for best can in the world.
This thread is locked
- Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread 24 seconds ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › [AUS] Lachlan's 'Some Headphones Are More Equal Than Others' Sale!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Help a headphone noob out 4 minutes ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 5 minutes ago
- › [WTS] Final Audio Piano Forte VIII 7 minutes ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 8 minutes ago
- › iDSD micro Crowd-Design. Renders at the ready! 8 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Piston V1... is this legit? 9 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by az060693
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude