- 1,138 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: U.S. Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productSennheiser HD 439 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone for a big head that sounded similar to Dynaudio ? Last post on 1/7/13 at 10:19pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best Headphones? Last post on 10/12/12 at 11:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Burning in Kef M500? Last post on 2/24/15 at 7:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
-- **This review is a sample portion from the full thread: Meet the Puresounds Earbud Family.** **All photos are taken by me.** **Disclaimer - I was provided the Puresounds...
There comes a time you're bored from your audio gear. You don't have a grand or two for a new set of ultra high end headphones to give you that fresh kick, and electronics costing as much as your...
MY GOD!!! I have just received my headphones! I have been putting them through there initial paces straight from the box, after just 30 mins I have had to come here to let you know my experience so...
At the time this review was written, the Oriveti NEW Primacy was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) - Page 18
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'll comment on pricing, not rating; maybe it's easier to agree about that.
Over-priced: any headphone over $999, most Sennheisers, anyone's modded Fostex over $300, most Hifiman given their build
Under-priced: many Kosses, Fostex RP series (so far)
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi cubculture right there. I do agree that most low-end Senns don't live up to their price point, but I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. I don't have enough hands-on experience with Hifiman to give judgement either way.
Koss seems to be a forgotten and underappreciated headphone brand a lot of the time. The DJ100 is a pretty neat can, the Portapro is a classic, and the ESP950 is still a very capable (if outdated) electrostat. I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
It just goes to show how subjective our hobby is.
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi subculture right there.
[...] I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. [...] I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
I didn't intend to offend anyone: we're all friends here. Simply because something's overpriced doesn't mean that I won't buy it if I want it enough, only I know I'm being ripped off and I can't fool myself.
I think the RP series are decent enough from the factory, and worth every penny of their street prices. Their potential is great -- as we see from some commercial mods which range from competent to expert. But those mods, no matter how good, are certainly over-priced if the cost is more than $300. My opinion: buy it if you really want it, but know what you're being sold and what it should cost.
I built a highly modded T50RP. For about $140 invested total its an amazing phone. I managed to snag some He-400s for a good price and I adore them as well. I would say that at $300 the HE-400 are a noticeable step up. But if you pay retail, then yes I would say they are over priced.
I find the AKG K612 Pro quite underrated. Although technically it's more overlooked than anything. It's extremely neutral and linear and has good detail, depth, soundstage, imaging, transparency, and refinement. It's more linear and neutral than the HD 600 and DT 880 to my ears while being in the same tier in terms of sound quality.
Edited by kman1211 - 11/10/13 at 10:31pm
This is all based on headphones/IEMs I have heard in the past either by demoing or owning a set:
Heir Audio IEMs (4.Ai specifically) - boy oh boy this is actually the first IEM set of over $200 that have dissapointed me so badly. The reviews were positive in the web but it was just not my cup of tea. The highs were tiring and piercing.
V-Moda M100 - For me the bass was loose, but it doesn't stop making it one of the fun headphones. At the price point, I would find other alternatives.
Aiaiai Headphones - I actually anticipated these but found wanting after hearing their lines due to the overbearing bass.
Audeze LCD-2 - The uncomfortableness really puts me off. Haven't heard it paired with a high end amplifiers.
Sony MA900 - I thought at first sight that these were only about $100 hp until I've heard the sound. Asked the shop owner to find out the price and for me it is justified by the sound.
1964 Ears IEMs - Really lack of appreciation for these IEMs, to me they sound really good and punch above their pricepoint.
Apex Glacier - Sleek with great forward sound, if paired incorrectly it can cause piercing treble but with the correct pairing it is simply amazing.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Simply high class for around $200
HE-400 - At first it was heavily overrated here but up to now for the price range, it does really well of keeping its place in the recommended headphone under $500. The only mainstay headphone so far in my inventory. The bass evens out the sparkly treble for me, very fun sounding.
Sennheiser HD 25-ii - Old school but does music just right. Really good for rock music.
HE-500 - Probably one of the headphone that might dethrone my HE-400. The sound was just smooth and effortless.
Ok, this looks like a fun thread, gonna chime in with my 2c:
- Sennheiser HD800. Yes, it's a fantastic headphone but probably the worst sounding and the most amp-picky of anything even close to its price. It's very sibilant and analytical sounding for such a pricey headphone. Requires a great Eddie Current amp or the like in order to sound fantastic. So as not to make this about being over-priced rather than overrated, I'll say that I see tons of these at head-fi meets but don't usually spend too much time at those tables.
In the general public:
Anything by Beats! Enough said.
- The HE-Audio Jade. I guess every pair sounds a little different but the ones I've heard rival the HE90 for best can in the world.
- Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 1 second ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 44 seconds ago
- › Denon AH-7200 1 minute ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Bose QC35 Wireless Noise-Cancelling Headphones 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 4 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 4 minutes ago
- › ECC31/ECC32/ECC33/ECC34/ECC35 Tube Addicts 5 minutes ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 6 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear