- 1,059 Posts. Joined 8/2010
- Location: U.S. Texas
- Select All Posts By This User
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-WS99 | SOLID BASS Portable Headphones (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productSennheiser HD 439 Headphones Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
- productV-MODA Crossfade M-100tagged by nightmancometh, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- Suggestions for a $200 over the ear headphone, mostly for EDM/Dubstep Last post on 4/6/14 at 7:48am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Best Headphones? Last post on 10/12/12 at 11:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- V-Moda M-100 or ATH-M50? Last post on 8/31/14 at 7:03am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- From iems to headphones | Help needed Last post on 7/21/14 at 2:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
Excelllent headphones, coming after ss 9h headset, senn's 429 558 598 and i love these most, i differentiate details better in vocals now, i can say if vocalist is blowing into microphone while...
published on September 22, 2014 (click any photo in this review for a larger version) Intro I first heard about Garage1217's Project Polaris (just "Polaris" from here on out, for the...
Please disregard the sliders on the left hand side, as they are broken. Prefatory Notes: I purchased this product and am therefore not immune to the negative effects of buyer’s remorse...
I bought my RP3 for my headphone set up to enter in the world of vinyl and what a buy! Overall the rega is a very sensitive Turntable however, it awes me everytime I plug it in a play.
I have owned the WA2 for about a year now. I typically listen to Alternative Rock, occasional Rap and some Blues. I am using a Arcam rDac with it and I also have a Rega RP-3 and a Project Phono...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :) - Page 18
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'll comment on pricing, not rating; maybe it's easier to agree about that.
Over-priced: any headphone over $999, most Sennheisers, anyone's modded Fostex over $300, most Hifiman given their build
Under-priced: many Kosses, Fostex RP series (so far)
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi cubculture right there. I do agree that most low-end Senns don't live up to their price point, but I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. I don't have enough hands-on experience with Hifiman to give judgement either way.
Koss seems to be a forgotten and underappreciated headphone brand a lot of the time. The DJ100 is a pretty neat can, the Portapro is a classic, and the ESP950 is still a very capable (if outdated) electrostat. I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
It just goes to show how subjective our hobby is.
I think you've probably managed to tick off almost every Head-Fi subculture right there.
[...] I'd go to battle over the modded Fostex issue. [...] I'll have to contradict your point about stock Fostex offerings, though, as I find the RP series lacking from the factory.
I didn't intend to offend anyone: we're all friends here. Simply because something's overpriced doesn't mean that I won't buy it if I want it enough, only I know I'm being ripped off and I can't fool myself.
I think the RP series are decent enough from the factory, and worth every penny of their street prices. Their potential is great -- as we see from some commercial mods which range from competent to expert. But those mods, no matter how good, are certainly over-priced if the cost is more than $300. My opinion: buy it if you really want it, but know what you're being sold and what it should cost.
I built a highly modded T50RP. For about $140 invested total its an amazing phone. I managed to snag some He-400s for a good price and I adore them as well. I would say that at $300 the HE-400 are a noticeable step up. But if you pay retail, then yes I would say they are over priced.
I find the AKG K612 Pro quite underrated. Although technically it's more overlooked than anything. It's extremely neutral and linear and has good detail, depth, soundstage, imaging, transparency, and refinement. It's more linear and neutral than the HD 600 and DT 880 to my ears while being in the same tier in terms of sound quality.
Edited by kman1211 - 11/10/13 at 10:31pm
This is all based on headphones/IEMs I have heard in the past either by demoing or owning a set:
Heir Audio IEMs (4.Ai specifically) - boy oh boy this is actually the first IEM set of over $200 that have dissapointed me so badly. The reviews were positive in the web but it was just not my cup of tea. The highs were tiring and piercing.
V-Moda M100 - For me the bass was loose, but it doesn't stop making it one of the fun headphones. At the price point, I would find other alternatives.
Aiaiai Headphones - I actually anticipated these but found wanting after hearing their lines due to the overbearing bass.
Audeze LCD-2 - The uncomfortableness really puts me off. Haven't heard it paired with a high end amplifiers.
Sony MA900 - I thought at first sight that these were only about $100 hp until I've heard the sound. Asked the shop owner to find out the price and for me it is justified by the sound.
1964 Ears IEMs - Really lack of appreciation for these IEMs, to me they sound really good and punch above their pricepoint.
Apex Glacier - Sleek with great forward sound, if paired incorrectly it can cause piercing treble but with the correct pairing it is simply amazing.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro - Simply high class for around $200
HE-400 - At first it was heavily overrated here but up to now for the price range, it does really well of keeping its place in the recommended headphone under $500. The only mainstay headphone so far in my inventory. The bass evens out the sparkly treble for me, very fun sounding.
Sennheiser HD 25-ii - Old school but does music just right. Really good for rock music.
HE-500 - Probably one of the headphone that might dethrone my HE-400. The sound was just smooth and effortless.
Ok, this looks like a fun thread, gonna chime in with my 2c:
- Sennheiser HD800. Yes, it's a fantastic headphone but probably the worst sounding and the most amp-picky of anything even close to its price. It's very sibilant and analytical sounding for such a pricey headphone. Requires a great Eddie Current amp or the like in order to sound fantastic. So as not to make this about being over-priced rather than overrated, I'll say that I see tons of these at head-fi meets but don't usually spend too much time at those tables.
In the general public:
Anything by Beats! Enough said.
- The HE-Audio Jade. I guess every pair sounds a little different but the ones I've heard rival the HE90 for best can in the world.
- Most underrated and overrated headphone? For a bit of fun :)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 11 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X1 way to dark, any suggestions on brighther... 40 seconds ago
- › [FS] Schiit Magni and Modi combo [PENDING] 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › WTB: Ultrasone Pro 750 or 900 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › fiio x5 e12 combo 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 3 minutes ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 321 IEMs compared (NarMoo S1 added 09/04/14 p. 966) 3 minutes ago
- › Recommendations for portables <$400 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Ufasas
- › Garage1217 Project Polaris by Asr
- › Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones by dbdchc
- › Rega RP3 by Nhubley
- › Woo Audio 2 by Nhubley
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by razor5cl
- › Aune M1 Hi-Fi Wav Player by wtnwin111
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Armaegis
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Audio-gd NFB29 by kvtaco17
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)