Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Scheduled to be released end of September!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Scheduled to be released end of... - Page 5

post #61 of 208

Fraggler, Fostex and any other brand set the price they want for their products: about 10 years ago when the T50RP came out (not sure exactly when) nobody was willing to pay more than 200$ for a pair of headphones, they manufactured a powerful driver maybe knowing their capabilities and started to sell them (why bother with improvements if nobody could think of spending that much). Thanks to Beats people are currently willing to pay 200$+ for headphones easily.

From a manufacturing point of view, you're paying for the same enclosure they developped like 7 years ago and a tweaked driver they produced. Considering the denon d2000 price was about 200$ less the (25-30% for retail sellers + Denon commission: How much do you think the headphones were actually priced?


Edited by squallkiercosa - 10/14/13 at 10:37am
post #62 of 208

Not sure I followed. Better for the consumer that the item is priced high initially rather than have it priced low and risk having it go high at some point?

post #63 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by squallkiercosa View Post
 

Fraggler, Fostex and any other brand set the price they want for their products: about 10 years ago when the T50RP came out (not sure exactly when) nobody was willing to pay more than 200$ for a pair of headphones, they manufactured a powerful driver maybe knowing their capabilities and started to sell them (why bother with improvements if nobody could think of spending that much). Thanks to Beats people are currently willing to pay 200$+ for headphones easily.

From a manufacturing point of view, you're paying for the same enclosure they developped like 7 years ago and a tweaked driver they produced. Considering the denon d2000 price was about 200$ less the (25-30% for retail sellers + Denon commission: How much do you think the headphones could actually be priced?

Great point about how the market has changed over the last decade.  What I said still holds in general, but needs to be rethought with regards to the T50RP.   I think the fact that I have become more comfortable with more expensive headphones bothers me and I hate to see the market continue to move upwards. 

 

Are you asking what I think the RP should cost?  Based on the factors your presented, I don't see why they couldn't go for $300-400.  Actually, with the traditional distribution model, an MSRP from them round $500 would probably hit that range on the street after not too long, so maybe it won't matter as much with the Fostex.

post #64 of 208
Looking at the prototype on the front page, I would be extremely surprised if this was less than four figures. You don't put that kind of money into the finish unless the driver is something special. Looks like they're returning to the high end planar magnetic market, and they were there at the start with the original T50 - that thing was $300 in 1978, which is probably over a grand in today's money.
post #65 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post

Looking at the prototype on the front page, I would be extremely surprised if this was less than four figures. You don't put that kind of money into the finish unless the driver is something special. Looks like they're returning to the high end planar magnetic market, and they were there at the start with the original T50 - that thing was $300 in 1978, which is probably over a grand in today's money.

I was told it would be positioned below the TH600 (so sub $1K) and another person at the show was told they were aiming for $500-$600.  Of course everything can change between now and production.

post #66 of 208

Based off of what else is out there in the flooded open back market $400 would be ideal but price will probably be closed to $600. I'm hoping they try and cut into that HE-400 market not the HE-500 market or lesser sought after T90 market. They can make a lot of people happy and earn money for themselves if they play this right. Honestly anything under $600 and I'm in sad to say. Not really sure why I'm ok with spending so much on a single headphone... Well I was until I looked at my 55in Ultra thin LED TV that cost me almost 4 times as much... 

 

I'm ashamed :blink:

 

 

Thanks,

 

 

:evil:

post #67 of 208

Even though all full size headphones seem to cook my ears after about 15 minutes, I'd be very interested in some good planars below $400.

If they could be driven adequately by the DX50 I might be forced to sell a body part to allow the purchase of both.

 

If anyone develops good headphones which have built in air conditioning I may have to sell however many body parts it takes ( excepting my ears of course ).

post #68 of 208
As a recent th600 owner and new fostex fan I'm excited about these as an open backed pair as long as they're cheaper; I'd agree that I'd be willing to pay 400-600 if they sound better than he400 (especially soundstage), and they certainly look better.

Lighter would be a bonus too. Can't wear my he400 anymore now that I've experienced the comfort and light weight of the th600.

These prototypes looks sexy, and just the fact that they're same pads/frame as TH is a huge plus already
post #69 of 208

:popcorn:

post #70 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by designbykai View Post

As a recent th600 owner and new fostex fan I'm excited about these as an open backed pair as long as they're cheaper; I'd agree that I'd be willing to pay 400-600 if they sound better than he400 (especially soundstage), and they certainly look better.

Lighter would be a bonus too. Can't wear my he400 anymore now that I've experienced the comfort and light weight of the th600.

These prototypes looks sexy, and just the fact that they're same pads/frame as TH is a huge plus already

Sorry about the OT post, but how would you compare the D1 against the E17 seeing as you own both? Also, do you like the TH600 or HE400 from the D1? Thank you.

post #71 of 208

This is very exciting news.  The T50RP's are fantastic when modded, I'm really psyched to check out reviews of these as they come in.  Subscribed!

post #72 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

Sorry about the OT post, but how would you compare the D1 against the E17 seeing as you own both? Also, do you like the TH600 or HE400 from the D1? Thank you.
Sorry about the super slow reply.
Its hard for me to say as I kinda agree with madlustenvy over in the gaming thread that amp makes more of a noticeable difference. From memory and comparing with both headphones the D1 is a bit cleaner and more neutral whereas the e17 seems warmer. Maybe a little more soundstage from d1 too. I preferred he400 more directly from d1 than directly from e17. But all these things are just impressions from memory and probably more to do with the amp sections. Might be different if you're using them just as DAC & output into another amp. But I enjoy the d1 into mstage combo for that too. The e17 is more a portable and that's why I got it, amp section could be a little bit restrained in current as a result.
I think audioengine make great value gear that punches above its weight though, including their speakers. Just IMO

Any more news on these cans? Obviously not. Really looking fwd to them, major fostex fan now biggrin.gif
post #73 of 208

there should be an XC version too :tongue:

post #74 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by designbykai View Post

Sorry about the super slow reply.
Its hard for me to say as I kinda agree with madlustenvy over in the gaming thread that amp makes more of a noticeable difference. From memory and comparing with both headphones the D1 is a bit cleaner and more neutral whereas the e17 seems warmer. Maybe a little more soundstage from d1 too. I preferred he400 more directly from d1 than directly from e17. But all these things are just impressions from memory and probably more to do with the amp sections. Might be different if you're using them just as DAC & output into another amp. But I enjoy the d1 into mstage combo for that too. The e17 is more a portable and that's why I got it, amp section could be a little bit restrained in current as a result.
I think audioengine make great value gear that punches above its weight though, including their speakers. Just IMO

Any more news on these cans? Obviously not. Really looking fwd to them, major fostex fan now biggrin.gif
Thank you!
post #75 of 208

Most listeners prefer the sound of modded Fostex semi-open RPs to the stock sound. Most Fostex mods change the sound by making them more closed than stock (among other changes). If their new driver is similar, I'm guessing it will be much harder to mod these open RPs to obtain the preferred sound. What do you think?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Fostex RP open-backed planar magnetic headphone, TH500RP! Scheduled to be released end of September!