or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Can the O2 break my Beyerdynamic T90s?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can the O2 break my Beyerdynamic T90s?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hi, I recently abandoned my 600 ohm DT990s to upgrade to the T90s...honestly, so far, I've had ~60 hrs burn in and still much prefer that feeling the DT990 gives during sound effects like slow motion pin drops (you can feel it, and shriek)...not sure the upgrade was worth it. Everything on the T90 sounds so far away from me.

 

I noticed that on 2.5X gain on the O2 with my Dacport LX, I can't even go to 100% volume on a lot of my music before the bass distorts/ripples and sounds like the headphone drivers are gonna break in half. It maxes out around 80% volume and I'm quite fearful to ever put the gain button to 6X (which also requires the Dacport to be at -8 dB from max to not clip the gain stage).

 

Back when I had my DT990s it was easily capable of handling 6X gain at 100%, no doubt because of the 600 ohm coil...but really, isn't the T90 supposed to be able to handle higher volumes than the DT990?

 

My test case is in 5.1 surround movies, I always have the volume quite high to hear dialogue easier (and then explosion scenes are pretty ear killing, but at least I understand the people talking!)... at the preferable dialogue volume, many bassy parts in my movies start to make weird sounds...unlike my DT990s.

 

Is this normal, or are my brand new T90s broken?

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-FEaGJG8Y
^

Plugging directly into unamped Dacport LX, the T90 cannot handle this. (though reading the title 'bass boosted', it could just be clipped out of the dacport, haven't test the actual audio file)


Edited by Jpapertowels - 10/4/13 at 12:31pm
post #2 of 11

Seems simple, return the T90 and rebuy the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapertowels View Post
 

Hi, I recently abandoned my 600 ohm DT990s to upgrade to the T90s...honestly, so far, I've had ~60 hrs burn in and still much prefer that feeling the DT990 gives during sound effects like slow motion pin drops (you can feel it, and shriek)...not sure the upgrade was worth it. Everything on the T90 sounds so far away from me.

 

I noticed that on 2.5X gain on the O2 with my Dacport LX, I can't even go to 100% volume on a lot of my music before the bass distorts/ripples and sounds like the headphone drivers are gonna break in half. It maxes out around 80% volume and I'm quite fearful to ever put the gain button to 6X (which also requires the Dacport to be at -8 dB from max to not clip the gain stage).

 

Back when I had my DT990s it was easily capable of handling 6X gain at 100%, no doubt because of the 600 ohm coil...but really, isn't the T90 supposed to be able to handle higher volumes than the DT990?

 

My test case is in 5.1 surround movies, I always have the volume quite high to hear dialogue easier (and then explosion scenes are pretty ear killing, but at least I understand the people talking!)... at the preferable dialogue volume, many bassy parts in my movies start to make weird sounds...unlike my DT990s.

 

Is this normal, or are my brand new T90s broken?

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-FEaGJG8Y
^

Plugging directly into unamped Dacport LX, the T90 cannot handle this. (though reading the title 'bass boosted', it could just be clipped out of the dacport, haven't test the actual audio file)

 

Listened to that youtube link through my studio monitors, the audio is clipped to hell. 

post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 

I guess one of the confusing things about an open headphone is that it can be hard to realize it's only one driver with the issue when you hear it through both lol.

 

I listened to some of my music with foobar2000 channel mixer set to cancel out the right channel and all my bassy music sounds fine at any volume!

 

I cancel out the left and put the right on...it sounds kinda terrible for anything with frequencies between 13 and 27 hz.

 

Okay...so I open up my T90s right driver enclosure...take out the driver and look inside.

 

Is that the voice coil wire curled up on the little plastic dome thing, or is it a hair?

 

I opened the left driver enclosure and looked inside, I don't see that same curly hair-like thing sitting in the middle of the dome...

 

In both cases, this does not look good at all.

 

Seeing that I had them opened up to check what was going on, did I just void my warranty?

 

Is there anything I can do?

 

I think I could remove the hair IF IT WAS A HAIR.

It could be a wire though...


Edited by Jpapertowels - 10/4/13 at 4:44pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapertowels View Post
 

I guess one of the confusing things about an open headphone is that it can be hard to realize it's only one driver with the issue when you hear it through both lol.

 

I listened to some of my music with foobar2000 channel mixer set to cancel out the right channel and all my bassy music sounds fine at any volume!

 

I cancel out the left and put the right on...it sounds kinda terrible for anything with frequencies between 13 and 27 hz.

 

Okay...so I open up my T90s right driver enclosure...take out the driver and look inside.

 

Is that the voice coil wire curled up on the little plastic dome thing, or is it a hair?

 

I opened the left driver enclosure and looked inside, I don't see that same curly hair-like thing sitting in the middle of the dome...

 

In both cases, this does not look good at all.

 

Seeing that I had them opened up to check what was going on, did I just void my warranty?

 

Is there anything I can do?

 

I think I could remove the hair IF IT WAS A HAIR.

It could be a wire though...

If it was a wire, would there not be a matching one in the other cups.

Can you trace the "hair" see if it is soldered to anything?

post #6 of 11

I think DT770 especially has had problems with hair getting in the drivers. I think Beyerdynamic fixes those for free. Why not contact the manufacturer?

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 

I removed it, it was indeed a hair, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it...sigh. There's no way in hell I'm gonna wait 2 months to get this fixed!

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
 

If it was a wire, would there not be a matching one in the other cups.

Can you trace the "hair" see if it is soldered to anything?

 

I've never tried, but I would imaging it is not possible to solder hair to anything. ;)

 

kev

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
 

 

I've never tried, but I would imaging it is not possible to solder hair to anything. ;)

 

kev

He did not know if it was a hair or not, figured checking to see if it was soldered to anything, might determin what it is.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpapertowels View Post
 

I removed it, it was indeed a hair, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it...sigh. There's no way in hell I'm gonna wait 2 months to get this fixed!

 

Why not get a refund or replacement from seller?

 

oh and next time, try listening for 60 hrs, not just letting it burn for that time

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 

Yeah I just contacted the seller, been trying to contact sound surgeon as well but it's like no one ever works there...hope they will let me exchange it :(

The more music I play the worse it gets, I think that "hair" may have been a driver wire that broke off when I was listening to bass heavy material during the first 20 hours...

Hope it is covered under manufacturer defect, though I most likely broke it with too loud volume. :(

Maybe I should have got closed headphone so I don't have to listen so loud...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › Can the O2 break my Beyerdynamic T90s?