or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" - Page 385

post #5761 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 View Post

In that case the bass control is still a bit pointless as the bass is already enough or too much, a bass attenuator would be more useful.

Errr.. that's exactly what the bass pot does. It attenuates the bass.
post #5762 of 8321
But not quite enough. :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

Errr.. that's exactly what the bass pot does. It attenuates the bass.
post #5763 of 8321
Has anyone here heard the HD205's? A £30 set of headphones. So just demoed the Roxanne, amongst many other TOTL IEMs. I think the Roxanne is good, but not amazing. Is say it's twice as good as my HD205. Am I missing something?
I played music from an iPhone. But I was expecting to be blown away. :s. I am starting to think I am more of a headphone guy. I don't think the Rox is much of an improvement over the JH16 either. Just a different sound signature.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think it's because it sounds congested. My ears are telling me the music is 'fake' and not real life. With even my closed back HD205 the soundstage is more expansive.
Edited by Lukalop - 5/23/14 at 9:59am
post #5764 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

Has anyone here heard the HD205's? A £30 set of headphones. So just demoed the Roxanne, amongst many other TOTL IEMs. I think the Roxanne is good, but not amazing. Is say it's twice as good as my HD205. Am I missing something?
I played music from an iPhone. But I was expecting to be blown away. :s. I am starting to think I am more of a headphone guy. I don't think the Rox is much of an improvement over the JH16 either. Just a different sound signature.

You sound like me when I first tried 2012's TOTL earpieces.
post #5765 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

Has anyone here heard the HD205's? A £30 set of headphones. So just demoed the Roxanne, amongst many other TOTL IEMs. I think the Roxanne is good, but not amazing. Is say it's twice as good as my HD205. Am I missing something?
I played music from an iPhone. But I was expecting to be blown away. :s. I am starting to think I am more of a headphone guy. I don't think the Rox is much of an improvement over the JH16 either. Just a different sound signature.

Edit: Come to think of it, I think it's because it sounds congested. My ears are telling me the music is 'fake' and not real life. With even my closed back HD205 the soundstage is more expansive.

 

First of all, what does that even mean... how can you measure sound quality with a proportion? Even if you listen to the cheapest crappiest sounding ear buds, and then listen to an HD800, you couldn't quantify "how many times" better the HD800 is. Whatever you say is just a number you're pulling out of your rear end.

 

Second of all, regardless what you think the proportion is, Roxanne is in a completely different place compared with the HD205. If you really only think that it's a subtle improvement, then all I can say is I pity you. You have psychoacoustically adjusted to what you are used to, and are oblivious to anything that diverges from that.

 

The amount of detail and realism that Roxanne spews out is absolutely remarkable. Spend two weeks with the Roxanne and then go back to your HD205, and you'll probably wish you never got involved in this hobby.

post #5766 of 8321
woops double post
post #5767 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post
 

 

First of all, what does that even mean... how can you measure sound quality with a proportion?  Spend two weeks with the Roxanne and then go back to your HD205, and you'll probably wish you never got involved in this hobby.

+1 - there are so many variables when considering the performance of a TOTL can - what was the source? What was the media? How was it originally recorded? What is the quality of the reproduction? Was it a loud environment? Did you spend more than 90 seconds listening?

 

If a lousy recording was played back on an EarPods and a Roxanne, they most likely would both be suitably lousy - maybe the TOTL can would be half as lousy - maybe twice as lousy as they tend to be more revealing...

 

Also if you are going from full-size cans to IEMs - there are things an IEM cannot do - it is just too easy to discount a TOTL headphone in this fashion, so I usually take it with a box of salt - iodized.

post #5768 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG87 View Post

First of all, what does that even mean... how can you measure sound quality with a proportion? Even if you listen to the cheapest crappiest sounding ear buds, and then listen to an HD800, you couldn't quantify "how many times" better the HD800 is. Whatever you say is just a number you're pulling out of your rear end.

Second of all, regardless what you think the proportion is, Roxanne is in a completely different place compared with the HD205. If you really only think that it's a subtle improvement, then all I can say is I pity you. You have psychoacoustically adjusted to what you are used to, and are oblivious to anything that diverges from that.

The amount of detail and realism that Roxanne spews out is absolutely remarkable. Spend two weeks with the Roxanne and then go back to your HD205, and you'll probably wish you never got involved in this hobby.

You are onto something. No wonder why; I am used to listening to the HD205. Now I realise. The HD205 is a very dark and warm sounding signature. When I heard the JH13 it sounded sibilant/sharp and pierced my ears, now I see that it's because my ears have become used to the low end bloated sound of cheap headphones. I know this for definite, as after auditioning the JH13 I asked the manager if he found them sparkly and he didn't know what I was getting at.

Although I tried a wide range of IEMs at different price ranges, starting from the lowest in order to see the improvement there was simply not enough time to cram in 10+ IEMs within an hour. For one I only used 3 songs from a single genre repeatedly to do my testing, being hip hop of which these songs were badly recorded which I could tell from the numerous nuances I repeatedly heard, another reason why I didn't like them. I kept asking, 'why does the quality sound worse?', answer: badly mastered songs. Granted if I spend time with them I'm sure I'll like it.

I still find my HD205 more immersive, it feels like I am in the music rather than standing on the side lines and honing in on what's happening. As someone else explained to me, this is because IEMs push sound directly into the cochlea bypassing the outer ear and bones. Thanks for the advice & sorry if I offended anyone.

I am not yet ready to purchase a TOTL yet however, on a side note. What mid range IEM or Headphone would you recommend for me to become accustomed to the high tier stuff?
Edited by Lukalop - 5/23/14 at 11:37am
post #5769 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post


You are onto something. No wonder why; I am used to listening to the HD205. Now I realise. The HD205 is a very dark and warm sounding signature. When I heard the JH13 it sounded sibilant/sharp and pierced my ears, now I see that it's because my ears have become used to the low end bloated sound of cheap headphones. I know this for definite, as after auditioning the JH13 I asked the manager if he found them sparkly and he didn't know what I was getting at.

Although I tried a wide range of IEMs at different price ranges, starting from the lowest in order to see the improvement there was simply not enough time to cram in 10+ IEMs within an hour. For one I only used 3 songs from a single genre repeatedly to do my testing, being hip hop of which these songs were badly recorded which I could tell from the numerous nuances I repeatedly heard, another reason why I didn't like them. I kept asking, 'why does the quality sound worse?', answer: badly mastered songs. Granted if I spend time with them I'm sure I'll like it.

I still find my HD205 more immersive, it feels like I am in the music rather than standing on the side lines and honing in on what's happening. As someone else explained to me, this is because IEMs push sound directly into the cochlea bypassing the outer ear and bones. Thanks for the advice & sorry if I offended anyone.

I am not yet ready to purchase a TOTL yet however, on a side note. What mid range IEM or Headphone would you recommend for me to become accustomed to the high tier stuff?

DUDE - you did not offend anyone - purge your mind of that thought immediately - there are no wrong answers in this classroom. It is interesting to note that I was spot on regarding the music you demo'd with - there are so many parts to the audiophile whole. There is a joke there, but that IS one way to offend someone here.  ;)

post #5770 of 8321
A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?
post #5771 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post
 

+1 - there are so many variables when considering the performance of a TOTL can - what was the source? What was the media? How was it originally recorded? What is the quality of the reproduction? Was it a loud environment? Did you spend more than 90 seconds listening?

 

If a lousy recording was played back on an EarPods and a Roxanne, they most likely would both be suitably lousy - maybe the TOTL can would be half as lousy - maybe twice as lousy as they tend to be more revealing...

 

Also if you are going from full-size cans to IEMs - there are things an IEM cannot do - it is just too easy to discount a TOTL headphone in this fashion, so I usually take it with a box of salt - iodized.

 

Agreed.  There are SQ features, and convenience features, that I enjoy with my $300 HD600's that I can't get from my $1000 Fitears, and vice versa.  It really is apples and oranges.  Yet I enjoy both very much.  Still interested in the JH's though since I want to try customs.

post #5772 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?

Because I'm insane....

 

 

 

Seriously - this could be a long answer - but not now as I also need to work for a bit. You could ask why do I like different flavors of ice cream - I only have one mouth...

post #5773 of 8321
I just recalled that when I turned the bass pot it only had two settings. It either increased the bass a lot or nothing at all. I could turn the screwdriver and nothing would happen, until suddenly the enhanced bass kicked in and there were only two levels, however this may be, as the manager explained the cable was from the first batch of imports and as he took it out of the casing the plastic was falling apart, but I'm not sure what affect this had on the function of the cable itself.

Also from what I have heard the Roxanne doesn't use all it's drivers at once but depending on the position of the dial different drivers will kick in and out?
Edited by Lukalop - 5/23/14 at 1:13pm
post #5774 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post


You are onto something. No wonder why; I am used to listening to the HD205. Now I realise. The HD205 is a very dark and warm sounding signature. When I heard the JH13 it sounded sibilant/sharp and pierced my ears, now I see that it's because my ears have become used to the low end bloated sound of cheap headphones. I know this for definite, as after auditioning the JH13 I asked the manager if he found them sparkly and he didn't know what I was getting at.

Although I tried a wide range of IEMs at different price ranges, starting from the lowest in order to see the improvement there was simply not enough time to cram in 10+ IEMs within an hour. For one I only used 3 songs from a single genre repeatedly to do my testing, being hip hop of which these songs were badly recorded which I could tell from the numerous nuances I repeatedly heard, another reason why I didn't like them. I kept asking, 'why does the quality sound worse?', answer: badly mastered songs. Granted if I spend time with them I'm sure I'll like it.

I still find my HD205 more immersive, it feels like I am in the music rather than standing on the side lines and honing in on what's happening. As someone else explained to me, this is because IEMs push sound directly into the cochlea bypassing the outer ear and bones. Thanks for the advice & sorry if I offended anyone.

I am not yet ready to purchase a TOTL yet however, on a side note. What mid range IEM or Headphone would you recommend for me to become accustomed to the high tier stuff?

 

 

Start with either a mid-tier UIEM in the $3-400 range, or if you are not afraid of re-sale value, try an entry level custom in the $400 range. It will already be a huge jump from what you're currently using. Once you get used to that, then go audition the TOTL stuff again. After all this, go back to the HD205, just for laughs.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?

 

The reason is that the human brain is very easy to fool. Put a spoonful of sugar in your mouth, and then go eat a supposedly sweet piece of fruit. You'll see what I mean.

 

I only have one piece currently, Roxanne. I don't feel like I need anything else.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

I just recalled that when I turned the bass pot it only had two settings. It either increased the bass a lot or nothing at all. I could turn the screwdriver and nothing would happen, until suddenly the enhanced bass kicked in and there were only two levels, however this may be, as the manager explained the cable was from the first batch of imports and as he took it out of the casing the plastic was falling apart, but I'm not sure what affect this had on the function of the cable.

Also from what I have heard the Roxanne doesn't use all it's drivers at once but depending on the position of the dial different drivers will kick in and out?
 
 
No this is false. There are 4 low drivers that are all working and are receiving a certain amount of current depending on where the pot is positioned. Also remember the pot is exponential, so for the first half of it the resistance decrease is minimal compared to the latter half. That is probably why you felt not much was happening until you hit a certain place on the dial.

Edited by JAG87 - 5/23/14 at 1:04pm
post #5775 of 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

A bit off topic, but what is the point in having more than one set of headphones when you can only listen to one of them at one time. I understand buying an open back headphone, for home use (sitting in one room), closed back for maybe moving about the house & IEMs for portability.
What I do not understand though is when people have multiple IEMs, surely you only need the best sounding to you and that's it. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just asking what are the reasons?

I have different CIEM's that fit slightly different depending on how much isolation I want (it depends on where I am, in a quite office, at a shooting range, on a plane, etc.).

 

I have different over ears, for similar reasons, need less isolation at work so I can hear someone interrupting my work. :angry_face:

Or more isolation when I want to ignore them easier. :veryevil:

 

Same thing at home, in addition to the signature differences of my different HP's or set-ups, I choose depending on HOW I want the music to sound for the mood I am in...:L3000:

 

Does that make sense to you??

 

Oh and I also just like to have lots of options and its fun to try different things....:beerchug: So there are reasons, then there are reasons...:biggrin: 


Edited by bearFNF - 5/23/14 at 2:11pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"