Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" - Page 288

post #4306 of 6952
Yep, in my case it was the latter.
post #4307 of 6952
Nail polish works too to adjust fit, but just like plastic wrap it won't last. Who want temp solutions for 1.5k iems. Just do a full reshell, minute adjustments are crap in my experience, a waste of time and money.
post #4308 of 6952

The thing with nail polish is you void the warranty.

Plastic warp does not damage the acrylic.

So you can send the CIEM back with the plastic warp still in tact and this gives them an idea on where to fix.

post #4309 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainRazer View Post

The thing with nail polish is you void the warranty.
Plastic warp does not damage the acrylic.
So you can send the CIEM back with the plastic warp still in tact and this gives them an idea on where to fix.
Nail polish goes away without any damage to the acrylic, I know as I tried several times.
post #4310 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimouille View Post


Nail polish goes away without any damage to the acrylic, I know as I tried several times.


Here's a post from someone who actually work with one.

Apparently 'consumer' product can cause allergic reaction and what not.

post #4311 of 6952
There is a non allergy ail polish. Made

Al
post #4312 of 6952
How long do CIEMs last before a remould is needed, if the ear canals change shape + what is a plastic warp?
post #4313 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukalop View Post

How long do CIEMs last before a remould is needed, if the ear canals change shape + what is a plastic warp?

A couple of years or due to massive weight gain or weight loss, that's when it's most likely you need to change them due to your ears changing over time due to age or physical changes. Also the plastic wrap is like a little plastic ring you can put around the Ciem that can create a much better seal.
post #4314 of 6952

After 10 days of burning in and listening, now I start to know what roxanne really sounds like. The impressions didn't change much, but I will add in more here.

 

Yes, the bass tuning plays a very big part in this.. although it doesn't bleed into the mid and treble, it does shifts the tone balance. Because when you turn the bass up, you will have to lower the volume, by doing this the mid and treble will sound more laid back compared to the bass. 

 

Actually if I tune the bass down to about 10-20%, the mid and treble sound close to my JH16 non-FP in terms of clarity and detail. The bass is a little more controlled and the soundstage is a bit wider. However it's sibilant on certain songs because of the peak at 7-8K Hz. In contrast, JH13 FP has more forward mid presentation at this bass setting,the vocals are more evolving, treble is more linear and extending further, giving greater imaging, resolution and transparency. Roxanne does surpass JH13 in terms of depth, it's a little more 3D compared to the more forward JH13. From my memory JH16 FP has the same mid presentation as the JH13 FP, the treble is a little bit smoother, but not lacking much.

 

However if I turn the bass up over 40%, both the clarity and resolution go down making the treble smooth and warm. The downside is it will become a little veiled with recessed vocal.

 

So for me, I only use bass no more than 30% gain.

 

I don't think it resemble any full size headphone (not LCD, not HE, not HD), because the tuning of JHA product is very unique, I haven't heard anything like this yet.

post #4315 of 6952
If you give the Roxanne's more burn in time, will they become even better. Say you leave them to play whilst you go on vacation and come back. Will they improve. By how much is the improvement?
post #4316 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post
 

After 10 days of burning in and listening, now I start to know what roxanne really sounds like. The impressions didn't change much, but I will add in more here.

 

Yes, the bass tuning plays a very big part in this.. although it doesn't bleed into the mid and treble, it does shifts the tone balance. Because when you turn the bass up, you will have to lower the volume, by doing this the mid and treble will sound more laid back compared to the bass. 

 

Actually if I tune the bass down to about 10-20%, the mid and treble sound close to my JH16 non-FP in terms of clarity and detail. The bass is a little more controlled and the soundstage is a bit wider. However it's sibilant on certain songs because of the peak at 7-8K Hz. In contrast, JH13 FP has more forward mid presentation at this bass setting,the vocals are more evolving, treble is more linear and extending further, giving greater imaging, resolution and transparency. Roxanne does surpass JH13 in terms of depth, it's a little more 3D compared to the more forward JH13. From my memory JH16 FP has the same mid presentation as the JH13 FP, the treble is a little bit smoother, but not lacking much.

 

However if I turn the bass up over 40%, both the clarity and resolution go down making the treble smooth and warm. The downside is it will become a little veiled with recessed vocal.

 

So for me, I only use bass no more than 30% gain.

 

I don't think it resemble any full size headphone (not LCD, not HE, not HD), because the tuning of JHA product is very unique, I haven't heard anything like this yet.

 

I totally hear it differently from you when comparing it my JH16. Raising the bass setting does not make the mids nor highs laid back. But I guess is an expectation since the bass has been bumped up the mids and highs must be laid back in relation to the increased bass. Perhaps the elevated bass is just too distracting but I hear the same amount of mids and highs. I agree over time Roxanne exposes it's true capability. At higher bass settings (1 o'clock) I am enjoying it more now than the neutral zone. It has lost the it's tendency to sound boomy  and it actually feels like it has gain a further extension.

 

Now when I switch to JH16, the sames songs I play tends to be brighter/sibilant now on JH16 with compressed image. I still think Roxanne resolved details better than JH16 which makes it's 3D imaging much clear.

 

The added kick, weight and depth of the bass region is similar to what I heard on LCD-2. The mids and high is a totally different matter. It still is not a full size headphone, but imo, it it close. The soundstage, 3D imaging and presentation. It does feel a bit like a can. Which is why when I suddenly switch to JH16, I am immediately reminded that I'm using an iem.

post #4317 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

But I guess is an expectation since the bass has been bumped up the mids and highs must be laid back in relation to the increased bass. Perhaps the elevated bass is just too distracting but I hear the same amount of mids and highs.

 

 

Exactly. I use volume 17 for 20% bass, but I can only use 13 for 50% bass. so reduction of 4 db in mid and treble will make them laid back in the whole spectrum, although everything can still be heard with the same response.

 

I found the new JH13/16 FP fixed the sibilant thing quite well. My old JH16 has significant more sibilance. The roxanne sits somewhere in between depending on how you tune the bass, the less bass you use, the clearer/more detail you hear which of course brings out more sibilance too. IMO roxanne's mid and treble is more like non-FP JHA product in term of frequency response.

 

The bass is indeed enjoyable with great speed and dynamic,  the note doesn't sustain as long as LCD's to my ears.


Edited by tupac0306 - 3/8/14 at 6:15am
post #4318 of 6952

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but IMHO I don't think JH had intended for the volume to be changed while the bass response is altered. Rather, the user will start with 0 bass, raise the volume to a level where the user feels comfortable with the mids and treble, and then change the bass to suit himself from there. 

 

If we increased the bass and then lowered the volume so that the bass is the same as before, aren't we purposefully lowering the mids and treble instead? Though I suppose that seems like a novel way to use the Roxannes.

post #4319 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisaus View Post
 

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but IMHO I don't think JH had intended for the volume to be changed while the bass response is altered. Rather, the user will start with 0 bass, raise the volume to a level where the user feels comfortable with the mids and treble, and then change the bass to suit himself from there. 

 

If we increased the bass and then lowered the volume so that the bass is the same as before, aren't we purposefully lowering the mids and treble instead? Though I suppose that seems like a novel way to use the Roxannes.

The thing is we can only notice the bass difference with combination of mid and treble. If we don't have the mid and treble in the spectrum to compare, we wouldn't even tell if the bass has been lifted,  it will only appear to sound louder. Also when someone says "the bass on a earphone is so good", it doesn't mean the earphone sound great within 20 - 250 Hz, but in 20 - 200000 Hz. When we listen to drums, we are not only listen to the main body of the sound, we also listen to it's overtune, e.g. the air, the clarity, the directions, the resolutions and etc, which will require the integration of mid and high frequency ranges.

 

So even we turn up the bass and lower the volume, the bass will be still be more dominate in the whole presentation. 

 

I am listening to roxanne at 20% bass now, If I tune the bass all the way up and don't change the volume, I will be deaf within minutes...

 

Also I believe the out impedance will change as the bass is altered, so the volume needs to be adjusted for sure, because this is not EQing.


Edited by tupac0306 - 3/8/14 at 6:49am
post #4320 of 6952
Quote:
Originally Posted by tupac0306 View Post
 

Exactly. I use volume 17 for 20% bass, but I can only use 13 for 50% bass. so reduction of 4 db in mid and treble will make them laid back in the whole spectrum, although everything can still be heard with the same response.

 

 

The bass is indeed enjoyable with great speed and dynamic,  the note doesn't sustain as long as LCD's to my ears.

 

I don't touch the volume while I increase the bass. It does makes the bass bigger but doesn't seem to make the overall volume big. In fact the effect to me is quite the opposite. Increasing the bass reveals more details especially at the low end.

 

I think the Roxanne is quite fast compared to the Audeze's. I only listen on snappy quick hitting bass songs when I demoed LCD 2. Perhaps when I get the chance I'll try it again with classical or slow rock songs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"