- 181 Posts. Joined 12/2010
- Location: Australia
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productJerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Custom IEMtagged by joe, 3/3/14
- productJerry Harvey Audio Sirens Series Roxanne Universal IEMtagged by joe, 3/3/14
- productJH Audio JH13 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by nightmancometh, 10/31/13
- productJH Audio JH16 Pro Custom In-Ear Monitorstagged by nightmancometh, 10/31/13
Related Forum Threads
- WTB: JH Audio JH16 FP JH13 FP Freqphase or Roxanne, Noble K10, Hidition NT6 Pro, Rooth LS8+ or... Last post on 4/30/14 at 2:38pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Portable Nirvana Last post on 2/7/14 at 1:32am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEMs :D Last post on 2/28/15 at 6:02pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JH 13 FP VS Roxanne Last post on 10/21/15 at 3:25pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom JH13 Freqphase IEM - do third party remolds affect sound signature? Last post on 1/21/15 at 4:28am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 11/25/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/25/15
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Note: I bought the Trinity Phantom Sabre in the pre-order period for ~75€. The Value rating is based on the full retail price of around 150€. Manufacturer website:...
Bluedio Vinyl Plus Bluetooth Headphone Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to Bluedio for the sample. Full review...
Firstly I would like to thank 1More for sending me this sample to review, I always try to write honest reviews, these received over 50hrs of burn-in before review, no differences were...
As list in the summary, I don't like this product, and I will not buy any product from Philips because of the post-sale service. After I tried replacing all of the ear-pieces in the box, I...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" - Page 199
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Put another way I'll use an analogy. In a variety of sports cars is what's known as a turbo. There are many different types or turbo but that's besides the point. I case you aren't all that knowledgable about cars I'll explain.
When using a turbo, there is something called 'lag time,' this so called lag time representing the decay found in speakers (in this case IEMs). When the driver floors the pedal the car springs into action as it normally would, however with the addition of the turbo, the exhaust from the car initially accelerating, spools up the turbo and makes it spin, in turn making the wheels of the car spin even faster, however because it takes time for the air to reach the turbo at which point it can be compressed and made into additional horse power, there is a delay.
Now getting back on track (no punn intended). In IEMs the decay is representative of the lag time found when using a turbo although the inverse is true for each (turbo starting, sound stopping), the principle is similar. What I don't understand is the sole purpose of intentionally making a decay in the sound signature. For the purpose of continuity referring back to the car. Without a turbo the car runs along just fine, this being representative of speakers with no decay. Although the turbo does increase the speed however this is besides the point as we are just focusing on timing rather than speed (although coincidentally enough the decay of speakers is apparently what determines their fast sounding signature).
Now that i have established precisely what I mean I will introduce different element to the analogy although keeping the same concept, that being bumps on the road if which are representative of the different frequencies in music. As the car goes over the bumps it vibrates up and down. The suspension of the car is now what represents the decay (I used the turbo example just to help better explain).
Depending on the stiffness of the suspension the car will vibrate differently. With a stiffer suspension, the vibration terminates quicker than with a loose suspension. When there is a loose suspension the vibration reverberates for a longer duration, which is the decay in speakers.
So to summarise, what is the use for decay, surely this is distorting the sound from its original the true way it was intended to be interpreted. And what is better for that matter, a longer or shorter decay? Thanks in advance.
wow a lot of words and the turbo was really cool . well its the opposite of turbo lag .
decay makes the music sound more natural . . if I pluck a guitar you hear the twang , but to make it sound better you need the over tones. well if the iem has a fast decay its sharp but not real . see less words . lol now if you have tooo much decay you take away from the clarity. to fast you loose the realism . although there is a lot of bull in reviews the decay is an absolute.
Decay is necessary because the air around an instrument or speaker vibrates for a time after the impetus is delivered. In the controlled environment between the armatures/diaphragm and the ear, the effect is not as pronounced. Ergo, it is up to the designer to simulate this and make up for the loss. Sometimes, in the case of dynamic drivers, the effect occurs naturally due to the way the diaphragm material responds to impulses. That's why you hear a lot of people say dynamic drivers sound more natural. Ergo, decay.
This is the 6th time I have explained decay this week, and I have become exceedingly efficient at it.
What is the general consensus of what people (among these forums) prefer, BA or Dynamic.
'ergo' is a latin term, which connects one statement to another (it only works in some circumstances, so please don't try to apply it in all your sentences! )
The approximate English translation of 'ergo' is:
So, you can (in some circumstances) use a statement to provide the foundations upon which to build a subsequent statement.
Edited by Mython - 1/21/14 at 1:20pm
- New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Reviews + impressions thread: Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI... 1 second ago
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY Triple-Driver Hybrid IEMs 49 seconds ago
- › Crow Audio Signature Edition Review 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Appreciation Thread – a New Start (please read... 4 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › iPod 3G Compact Flash Mod 6 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 9 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by hankaberle
- › Accutone Pavo by Cinder
- › Little Dot MK III by Beztis
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...