or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" - Page 93

post #1381 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgwee1 View Post
 

Finally, heard it and like it a lot. I like the idea of adjustable bass. will be getting my impression done on Monday. hopefully everything turn out well.

 
Out of curiousity, did you spend time with any other top-tiers? 
post #1382 of 8306

Interesting bit of info...

 

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/81916451-post878.html

 

"Tried the universal Roxanne and they are good enough for me.

Don't want to make this into a debate on which iem is better as I believe different strokes for different folks.


I tried the fitear 334 and 435 but still prefered the universal Roxanne.

The bass at the lowest level is already quite strong. Tried it with the ak 120, direct from my iPhone 5 and iPhone 5 with ak 10.

Of course best combo was with ak120 with the lossless stuff.

But it does a very very good job when used direct with my iPhone.

Also had a chance to speak to jerry and here are answers to some of them

1) when can we expect the custom Roxannes for those who order during Black Friday

Ans: should be 5 weeks from order so that means early jan
Jerry has double the production crew so fingers crossed for the delivery time. But having said that I would prefer they do a good job 1st round and no refitting required.

2) any new amps coming up to match the roxanne?

Ans: not within the next 6 months. The Roxanne is packed with much improvement and an amp would be designed to compliment it in Jerry's view. Perhaps a db increase or decrease in certain freq range but nothing concrete at the moment

On a side note, tried the ak 120 Titan with the Roxanne universal and a ominous omen.

The Roxanne that I tried to use, the left side earphone was not working at certain angle of usage. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere but hope the custom would not have this "minute" issue over long run."

post #1383 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post

The variable bass on the Roxanne does work really well, from neutral to very bassy and it is fairly easy to find the level of liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post

The bass at the lowest level is already quite strong. Tried it with the ak 120, direct from my iPhone 5 and iPhone 5 with ak 10.

 

Boosted bass even at the lowest level would be a deal breaker for me. Kind of a JH13 (pre-FP) deja-vu, when I expected them to be flat, but the demos sounded noticeably boosted.

post #1384 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0day View Post
 

Hi, may I ask you what are your impressions of the soundstage offered by the Roxanne? And what first came to mind in the first 30 seconds of listening?

 

Regular I guess. I don't find it to be particularly wide or lacking. I think the first thing that comes to my mind after the first listening is that, Roxanne is neither JH13FP when neutral nor JH16FP when bassy. If you like the EQ then it will appeal to you. But if you already know what you like (neutral or bassy), then JH13FP or JH16FP might actually be just as good a buy.

post #1385 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
 

 

Boosted bass even at the lowest level would be a deal breaker for me. Kind of a JH13 (pre-FP) deja-vu, when I expected them to be flat, but the demos sounded noticeably boosted.

 

I agree.  Lowest bass setting of the Roxannes should (IMO) be relatively neutral. otherwise, what's the point of variable bass?

 

 

My interest in the Roxanne is that I'd happily throw away the adjustable bass altogether, if it is neutral without it.

 

The biggest selling point of the Roxanne is the configuration of the treble drivers such that the treble response doesn't roll-off drastically as the frequency-dependent impedance curve rises.

 

So, I expect to hear things like brushed cymbals, hi-hats, acoustic strings etc. being rendered particularly realistically.

 

Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but I'm really looking forward to hearing some reviews, soon.

post #1386 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

I agree.  Lowest bass setting of the Roxannes should (IMO) be relatively neutral. otherwise, what's the point of variable bass?

 

 

In the ASG-2 thread, it was mentioned the variable bass port on that was there for stage performance to counteract the ambient noise of the performance/crowd.  Given the 15db range I agree it should be very flat, but I'm not surprised if it starts at the mildly boosted (3db?) 13 level.

post #1387 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post
 

 

In the ASG-2 thread, it was mentioned the variable bass port on that was there for stage performance to counteract the ambient noise of the performance/crowd.  Given the 15db range I agree it should be very flat, but I'm not surprised if it starts at the mildly boosted (3db?) 13 level.

 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but we're not talking about a variable port on the Roxanne, but rather a variable potentiometer in the cable.

 

That's an entirely different thing from an ambient port.

post #1388 of 8306
I want to thank all the people at the show in offering there honest impressions
It is very KINd of you people. As well hear different and there is many variables
Too. As most of us just ordered it without hearing it. As I did we just have to hope it is our likeing

Al d
post #1389 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipperus View Post

Looks like third party cables will arrive before the Roxanne itself...

"DHC Symbiote for JH Roxanne Siren Series IEM coming soon! Email us to be first on the waitlist."


http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/

These look very nice.  Any opinions about double helix vs moon for after market cables?  I'm very new to this game and I'm building from the ground up, starting with the Roxanne.  I loved the Roxanne (despite short time and the universal fit) when I tried them in Orlando early Nov.  Thrilled to finally hear some reviews from the experts.

post #1390 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post

 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but we're not talking about a variable port on the Roxanne, but rather a variable potentiometer in the cable.

 

That's an entirely different thing from an ambient port.

 

However the method, the reason is likely similar.  An IEM doesn't isolate as well in the lower region relative to the rest of the curve.


Edited by bobeau - 12/13/13 at 10:07am
post #1391 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post
 

 

However the method, the reason is likely similar.  An IEM doesn't isolate as well in the lower region relative to the rest of the curve.

 

Or Jerry may be trying to make one CIEM appeal to a broader range of tastes.

post #1392 of 8306

I'm sure preference plays as much a part as utility.  Choice is grand.  This is what he said about the 16, fwiw:

 

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=258462062282

 

"You will notice the difference more in a live setting than a mastered recording. In a live situation the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. This is when the 16 shines. Hope this clears things up a little."

post #1393 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeau View Post
 

I'm sure preference plays as much a part as utility.  Choice is grand.  This is what he said about the 16, fwiw:

 

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=258462062282

 

"You will notice the difference more in a live setting than a mastered recording. In a live situation the mix is not as controlled. The dynamic range and transient peaks are much more dramatic live. For example, in a live setting, an artist may want to hear a full mix plus a kick drum with a large 50hz boost (more than you would ever hear on a recording) and at a much louder volume than most people would listen. The earpiece needs to have more headroom and capacity so as not to distort at that volume level. This is when the 16 shines. Hope this clears things up a little."

 

Yeah, futuresonics claim the MG6Pro is all about robustness and headroom, too. Frankly I don't rate the MG6Pro highly at all, and I would also question the approach of using CIEMs to monitor sound at high volumes, whilst performing. That's totally undermining the whole point of using a CIEM professionally (to protect one's hearing from the high SPLs of stage wedge monitors).

 

Anyway, I figure we'll have some reviews of the Roxane trickling in within the next 3 weeks or so, so we'll start to learn whether or not they are relatively neutral or if they are bass monsters like the JH16.

post #1394 of 8306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mython View Post
 

 

I agree.  Lowest bass setting of the Roxannes should (IMO) be relatively neutral. otherwise, what's the point of variable bass?

 

 

My interest in the Roxanne is that I'd happily throw away the adjustable bass altogether, if it is neutral without it.

 

The biggest selling point of the Roxanne is the configuration of the treble drivers such that the treble response doesn't roll-off drastically as the frequency-dependent impedance curve rises.

 

So, I expect to hear things like brushed cymbals, hi-hats, acoustic strings etc. being rendered particularly realistically.

 

Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but I'm really looking forward to hearing some reviews, soon.

Just to be clear, a rising impedance curve would mean the treble was less susceptible to roll. It's the lower, relative to higher impedance portions of a band that can be reduced by amps with higher output impedance.

post #1395 of 8306
I know this an amp with higher output imp messes with the sound period. As far dealing with the high freq roll of issue the is very little energy if any above 15 k. So overall most people do not hear a change in sound
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"