New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 293

post #4381 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glam Bash View Post

Thanks for this. I have about 60 hours on my X's and my listening sessions have been making me nutty. I am at the part where the midrange is kind of shouty.

My Xs took about 120 hours burn-in to " Wake - up", they were originally quite veiled, but now they have woken -up , I think they're unparalled amongst headphones of this class and price range. Detailed, natural and truthful!, They also see to be still improving!

...somehow sounds familiar... what amp(s) do you use?
post #4382 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racy View Post


My Xs took about 120 hours burn-in to " Wake - up", they were originally quite veiled, but now they have woken -up , I think they're unparalled amongst headphones of this class and price range. Detailed, natural and truthful!, They also see to be still improving!


My burn in is at 60 hours. Still some unnatural brightness present, but it is noticeable less than it was at 20 hours.

 

Good to know that it will eventually disappear :beyersmile:

post #4383 of 5401

:popcorn:

post #4384 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 

:popcorn:


Not sure what the popcorn emoticon is about - but to each his own. :smile:

 

Burn in now at approx 80 hours and something has happened with the LCD-X. The 'unnatural brightness' in the treble that was concerning me is gone. Starting to appreciate the LCD-X more and more as it improves with the burn in. At first I was thinking that a more coloured ortho (like the LCD3 or perhaps the new Oppo PM-1) might have been a better buy for me - now I see it was the LCD-X requiring some time to settle down and start doing what it does best. It keeps getting better and I am starting to feel the "Audeze lovin". :atsmile:

 

WA6/Sophia/HD600 also at 80 hours. The sound is improving, but I suspect the tube amp will require quite a few more hours of burn in to be at its best. Mids and vocals are excellent, but bass and treble are lacking a little control.

post #4385 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
(...)

Burn in now at approx 80 hours and something has happened with the LCD-X. The 'unnatural brightness' in the treble that was concerning me is gone. Starting to appreciate the LCD-X more and more as it improves with the burn in. At first I was thinking that a more coloured ortho (like the LCD3 or perhaps the new Oppo PM-1) might have been a better buy for me - now I see it was the LCD-X requiring some time to settle down and start doing what it does best. It keeps getting better and I am starting to feel the "Audeze lovin". :atsmile:

(...)

...good to know that your X is slowly awakening... I will try to compare my X at a meet sooner or later, just curious whether there are still audible differences left after break-in... respectively how big those differences are, since I am quite sure that there will be...

post #4386 of 5401
I found it (and the XC) settled down (highs) and opened up (sound stage) after burning in 100 hours.
post #4387 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by podeschi View Post

I found it (and the XC) settled down (highs) and opened up (sound stage) after burning in 100 hours.

 

Every 20 hours or so of burn in is bringing a noticeable improvement to the sound from my LCD-X. Very happy about that. :smile:

post #4388 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahkityoong View Post


It's Cradle Mountain in Tasmania. I've been using head-fi to enhance my travel experiences in recent years.

:beerchug:

post #4389 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

IMO, those comments are WAY off bass. And the LCD-X measure flat from 2kHz down to 20Hz and the treble is hardly "spiked" or tilted in anyway.

 

+1

IMO the X sound is flat, reference

post #4390 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by musikaladin View Post


...the discussion about the X's mid-range already started some thousands of posts earlier in this thread...
Some claimed it is V-shaped, some said it is veiled and somhow blur while the majority was always pointing out that the X's mids are amongst the most detailed and balanced they ever heard.

Now, my own story with the X covers all of it:
In the first 2 to 3 weeks it was quite V-shaped. Acually I liked it since it was still on the more balanced side of FRs compared to the HE400 or my Denons.

But then things changed. The mids became more prominent, louder, but at the same time somehow blur.... In other words more quantity and less quality. I wasn't amused. I then started playing round with different amps and did a real hard-core burn-in (white noise 24 hrs a day over several weeks ony interrupted by listening sessions).

Now, to make a long story short, after that burn-in and better matching with amps I do in fact agree with the above mentioned majority... Wonderful mids, all in all a very balanced headphone. Lightyears away from a V-shaped FR.

I got best results with transformer-coupled tube amps and lower output-impendance transistors (resulting in a reasonably high damping factor).
I idedified the critical point for output-impendance being approx at the 4 ohm range. Anything below that is doing very well if the amp can also deliver sufficient voltage... then sound nirvana should be just around the next corner.

Why my X tookT so long to finally "wake up" I have no idea. Maybe there are certain differences between production lots since most others around here obviously didn't need such excessive burn-in to get that result. Anyway, I am glad that my X is now performing to my expectations.


I agree with this post.  My last post on the u-shape sound of the X was a bit hasty.  My LCD-X also required a burn-in period during which I was sometimes unhappy with the sound.  After a few weeks, however, the mids came forward nicely to where the sound was balanced.  The bass and treble of the X were always great from the start. 

post #4391 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBinTN View Post


I agree with this post.  My last post on the u-shape sound of the X was a bit hasty.  My LCD-X also required a burn-in period during which I was sometimes unhappy with the sound.  After a few weeks, however, the mids came forward nicely to where the sound was balanced.  The bass and treble of the X were always great from the start. 

 

Seems like this topic comes up all the time on ownership threads. And I admit I've experienced something similar.  At this point, there's no way of knowing if it was some objective change or something subjective, but after another 150 hours on the headphones, I just went back and listened some of my "reference" tracks that I like to revisit periodically, and the mids do indeed seem fuller and even richer than before.  Can't explain it, but I love it.

post #4392 of 5401

Today I started using the LCD-X again after 2 weeks of using a rented sennheiser HD800 . I miss the lcd-x so much ...........

post #4393 of 5401

after not listening to the X for more then a few days (like on vacation) and then coming back to them I am always blown away by them all over again until my brain takes them for granted once again.

post #4394 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post
 

after not listening to the X for more then a few days (like on vacation) and then coming back to them I am always blown away by them all over again until my brain takes them for granted once again.

 

I hate to say it, but that sounds identical to the symptoms associated with substance abuse  ;)

post #4395 of 5401
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

I hate to say it, but that sounds identical to the symptoms associated with substance abuse  wink.gif

Healthier but potentially more expensive habit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum