New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 26

post #376 of 4666
I could hear the X and XC briefly in Tokyo this week end. Driven by audeze dac/amp prototype or hifi m-8 or ifi stack. What surprised me is the much brighter sound signature than I am used to with Audeze. The bass was pretty amazing, in particular when driven from the centrance dac/amp combo.

I also liked the fact that the XC does not sound like your typical closed phone: tight bass, no cavernous / nasal sound and pretty open staging.

That said, I found both X and XC too bright for my tastes, a bit shrill/harsh with some rock recordings I sampled (all from the vendors rigs). I wished I could compare against the previous lcds but looks like there was no space left in the suicases for those.

I think those looking for an exciting sound might really like the audeze. I see myself more attracted by the fostex planar prototype, the voicing and comfort being much more to my taste. I also listened to the mad dogs (actually the 3D printed cans) through the mjolnir but again found it too forward in the mid/highs and preferred the fostex voicing.

It was thus surprsing for me to find out that most of the recent planar offerings are going for quite detailed / bright sound signature. I have plenty of upper register detail with my 009 so not in the market, but I can imagine these new generations of planar phones finding a large audience in the market.

Arnaud
post #377 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

I would consider accurate to be what I consider to be most sonically equivalent to a live performance. Anything warmer than purely accurate is a "warm" headphone, anything colder than accurate is a "cold" headphone. As far as FR, accurate would be a very linear FR.

 

I would say the SR-009 with the Blue Hawaii was the closest to what I consider to be purely accurate, you can base it off of that.

 

I've not heard the 009 so I couldn't make a judgement on that.  However I've heard the HD800 a couple times and I'd consider it way colder than neutral.  Were you able to compare the overall signature of the X vs the HD800?

post #378 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

 

I've not heard the 009 so I couldn't make a judgement on that.  However I've heard the HD800 a couple times and I'd consider it way colder than neutral.  Were you able to compare the overall signature of the X vs the HD800?

 

I didn't have a lot of experience with the HD800. I spent a very small amount of time listening to it with the 234 monos (sounded excellent for that short time) until we switched over to the X. I spent a bit more time with it hooked up to a Bottlehead Crack and I didn't consider it super cold. An ultrasone is far colder, but I would say it was colder than the SR-009. I can't say whether it was a stock or modded HD800 (it did have a custom cable).

post #379 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnaud View Post

I could hear the X and XC briefly in Tokyo this week end. Driven by audeze dac/amp prototype or hifi m-8 or ifi stack. What surprised me is the much brighter sound signature than I am used to with Audeze. The bass was pretty amazing, in particular when driven from the centrance dac/amp combo.

I also liked the fact that the XC does not sound like your typical closed phone: tight bass, no cavernous / nasal sound and pretty open staging.

That said, I found both X and XC too bright for my tastes, a bit shrill/harsh with some rock recordings I sampled (all from the vendors rigs). I wished I could compare against the previous lcds but looks like there was no space left in the suicases for those.

I think those looking for an exciting sound might really like the audeze. I see myself more attracted by the fostex planar prototype, the voicing and comfort being much more to my taste. I also listened to the mad dogs (actually the 3D printed cans) through the mjolnir but again found it too forward in the mid/highs and preferred the fostex voicing.

It was thus surprsing for me to find out that most of the recent planar offerings are going for quite detailed / bright sound signature. I have plenty of upper register detail with my 009 so not in the market, but I can imagine these new generations of planar phones finding a large audience in the market.

Arnaud


Is the LCD-X brighter than the HE-500?

post #380 of 4666

Finally a few impressions that X seems to be really significantly less warmer than LCD2/3. I thought rev2 or rev 3 will be like that :D Jupiii. Connection energy, clean, accurate, open sound with Audeze calm/serenity house sound, sounds perfect for me.

post #381 of 4666
If you guys are looking for more info check out the link below. Mike Mercer gives a pretty good review on the new Audeze headphones in the audio360 CanJam report

http://www.audio360.org/events_a0004_canjam-2013_an-audio360-special-report.php
post #382 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

If you guys are looking for more info check out the link below. Mike Mercer gives a pretty good review on the new Audeze headphones in the audio360 CanJam report

http://www.audio360.org/events_a0004_canjam-2013_an-audio360-special-report.php

 

Good read. I'd say he likes em.

post #383 of 4666

The LCD-X has - when compared to the LCD-2 - more airy highs, more midbass, more clarity, and much much much less congestion, which in turns explains the much better/wider soundstaging.

 

I like it.

post #384 of 4666

:popcorn:

post #385 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
 

The LCD-X has - when compared to the LCD-2 - more airy highs, more midbass, more clarity, and much much much less congestion, which in turns explains the much better/wider soundstaging.

 

I like it.

 

Everything there sounds great, except the midbass part. Theoretically and for me that doesn't sit well with the rest of the picture.

post #386 of 4666

Time to see some frequency response graphs.

post #387 of 4666

Purrin will be getting an LCD-X soon, hopefully he'll have time to post a measurement or two.

post #388 of 4666

I'm getting more and more excited about this one reading the impressions. Too bad they couldn't made it 200 grams lighter this time, but I guess they have to completely redo design for that to happen.

post #389 of 4666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRaven View Post
 

Where's the option for black on their site?  I only see gun-metal gray.  

 

I guess it's not an "official" option on the website yet.  Tasvee at Audeze communicated with me directly to let me know the black rings were available.

 

They have been editing the product pages to get all the details on there, it was pretty bare-bones when they first got listed.  This may show up as an option soon ?

post #390 of 4666
This isn't good.... I fear I may do my wallet a mischief soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum