New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 223

post #3331 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

 

Yep, they just asked me to send them the Audeze schematic, which Audeze was kind enough to direct me to, and voila! 

 

I buy most of my cables from BJC...they just always do a solid job and I love the durability of their stuff. I love having the 20' length. 

 

So what kind of cable is it Copper / Silver ??

post #3332 of 5525

I am using two different after market cable on the LCD X. The first one is a prototype from Wywires and it is excellent. The second is the Q cable from Steve Eddy in Grey to match the Gunmetal grey LCD X I have and it as always terrific. Both cables work exceptionally well with the lCD X. I will take some pictures of both cables this weekend and post them so you get an idea of what they look like. Stev eis also sending me a balanced one in the same color so when i review balanced amps like the GSX MK11 I have it on hand.


Edited by Frank I - 2/28/14 at 6:30am
post #3333 of 5525

About how much do these cables cost for the same length as the stock? Both balanced and SE, if you know.

post #3334 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

BlueJeans made you a headphone cable with LCD connectors?  WOW  didn'y know they did that..

God bless Audez'e, they opted to use standard mini-XLRs on their headphones. They're not terribly expensive and they're readily available from a wide variety of sources, so not surprised Blue Jeans didn't have any objections to making a set.

se
post #3335 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


God bless Audez'e, they opted to use standard mini-XLRs on their headphones. They're not terribly expensive and they're readily available from a wide variety of sources, so not surprised Blue Jeans didn't have any objections to making a set.

se


Yes! I wish more manufacturers would follow suit. Mini-XLRs are rugged, easy to find, inexpensive, easy to solder--and common in the audio industry. To hell with proprietary connectors, mini-SMC *shudder*, and flimsy 1/8" mini-plugs.

post #3336 of 5525

What is the type of connector on the Alpha dogs?  Think I actually prefer those if I remember they were more compact then the mini-XLR and easier to connect disconnect without being cheap at all.  Had a nice twist snap thing with the retractable collar. They may have even been a bit nicer quality wise unless I am dreaming. Wish Audeze used those instead.

post #3337 of 5525

I think the industry standard should be the proprietary connector that HiFiMan uses:tongue_smile:

post #3338 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

What is the type of connector on the Alpha dogs?  Think I actually prefer those if I remember they were more compact then the mini-XLR and easier to connect disconnect without being cheap at all.  Had a nice twist snap thing with the retractable collar. They may have even been a bit nicer quality wise unless I am dreaming. Wish Audeze used those instead.

I'm glad they didn't. biggrin.gif

It's a Hirose connector though there are clones made by other companies. They have the same sort of push lock as some of the Lemo connectors where you push it on and it locks and if you pull on the cable it stays locked, but if you grab the collar of the connector, they pull right out.

They're no more compact than the mini-XLR. In the photo I have them lined up to compare what sticks out from the mating connector.

The "strain relief" is just a tiny little set screw. The connectors come with a brass collar that's meant to be crimped over the cable and when assembled, it lines up with the set screw and the set screw is tightened and mashes down on the collar. That's fine if you're using just the right diameter jacketed cable. Otherwise, well, you're just going to have to improvise somehow.

Also, the rubber boots on the ones I got from e-valucon are rather sticky and attract every little piece of dust, lint and dead skin.

So no, I'm glad Audez'e didn't choose those.



se
post #3339 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

I think the industry standard should be the proprietary connector that HiFiMan uses:tongue_smile:

And I think you should be taken out and shot. tongue.gif

They're not actually a proprietary connector. They're a standard SMC connector, which is designed specifically to be used with miniature RF coaxial cable like RG-174, which is fine if you're making headphone cables using coax cable, but if you're using wire leads, they present some challenges.

se
post #3340 of 5525

.


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 12:09am
post #3341 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 

So I'm going to be the proud papa of an lcd-X. I spoke to audeze today and offered them the $40 more that they charge for the 3's headband and ear pads and they said coo. While I do believe the new padding gets you 90% of the 3's comfort over my old 2's I think the higher grade leather gets you that last 10% of comfort. Jude also has an X with 3 headband and ear pads, unless that was a prop in his liquid gold review. Going to be the longest 3 weeks ever. Audeze does have their balanced cables in now, they have just run out of X's due to popular demand. Woo audio I believe still has some X's in stock and are giving away a free headphone stand with purchase. Also sound earphones has some left with free overnight shipping that I can attest to is literally overnight. Can't wait.:normal_smile : 


Grats and enjoy!  I am interested in hearing from others if they think LCD 3 headband and pads make any difference in comfort and sound (in regards to pads).

post #3342 of 5525

I have decided the X's just aren't my flavor,anyone interested in a mint used set have a look in the headphone for sale section. 

post #3343 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


I'm glad they didn't. biggrin.gif

It's a Hirose connector though there are clones made by other companies. They have the same sort of push lock as some of the Lemo connectors where you push it on and it locks and if you pull on the cable it stays locked, but if you grab the collar of the connector, they pull right out.

They're no more compact than the mini-XLR. In the photo I have them lined up to compare what sticks out from the mating connector.

The "strain relief" is just a tiny little set screw. The connectors come with a brass collar that's meant to be crimped over the cable and when assembled, it lines up with the set screw and the set screw is tightened and mashes down on the collar. That's fine if you're using just the right diameter jacketed cable. Otherwise, well, you're just going to have to improvise somehow.

Also, the rubber boots on the ones I got from e-valucon are rather sticky and attract every little piece of dust, lint and dead skin.

So no, I'm glad Audez'e didn't choose those.



se

Interesting... yeah must have just been imagining things.  Either that or the Audeze connectors are considerably bigger then the miniXLR you use.  I think the thing that made it seem better was the easy pop on off with the sliding collar.  Just seemed to work really well.  Atleast the thing I dislike about the Audeze connector is it is pretty tight to pull off even while pushing the button while the hirose sort of just slide off and on easy.  Could just be the ones I got though.

post #3344 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
 

I have decided the X's just aren't my flavor,anyone interested in a mint used set have a look in the headphone for sale section.

What's your flavor?

post #3345 of 5525
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
 

I have decided the X's just aren't my flavor,anyone interested in a mint used set have a look in the headphone for sale section.

What's your flavor?

I am looking for something a tad warmer,likely the LCD-3.Not saying there is anything wrong with the X,its an amazing headphone.Might be splitting hears here,but different strokes for different folks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum