New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 221

post #3301 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraha View Post
 

When I first demo the x, I found the mids was a bit forward.

Maybe I used to the presentation of both th900 and hd800.

After living with a pair for about a week, I found that the mids didn't bother me.

 

This phone had a great tonality. Nice holographic (and decent size) soundstage and smooth presentation.

Overall, I still prefer hd800 but easily better than my th900.

Actually I'd say the mids on the TH-900s are slightly recessed from neutral, while pretty much bang on with the LCD-X. 

post #3302 of 5002
Red jacket mike,

Slick looking cable. Any thoughts on how it effected the sound?
post #3303 of 5002

I never listened to the LCD-X with the stock cable; I only used my Norse 8-wire, and now the Q; I can't tell yet if there is any difference in the sound between those two cables--I mostly bought the Q for the build quality and the lack of microphonics.

 

After I get more listening time, I'll post if I can detect any differences.  (I guess I'll have to try the stock cable, as well).

post #3304 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

Actually I'd say the mids on the TH-900s are slightly recessed from neutral, while pretty much bang on with the LCD-X.

...as usual, Mac making completely apropos observations.  Fully agree.

post #3305 of 5002
Coming from an LCD-2.2 I am still undecided if I like the extra detail in the upper frequencies that the X produces.Guess my ears (brain) need more time to accept this change,I'm going to give it a month,hoping things will smooth out for me.No doubt the X is a better can,tighter bass,better stage,more accurate.
post #3306 of 5002

So I think I've finished my informal comparison between my beloved T1s and the LCD-X. 

 

(hold on a sec....need to put my hands over the T1s ear cups)

 

I'm confident saying that there is no single area where the T1 can compete with the X in terms of sonics. The only area I can give it the nod is with comfort, and even there I can't say there is a huge margin. I don't mean this to sound like i'm throwing the Beyers under the bus, cause I'm not. But I really would have thought they would have been the equal or superior to the Xs at least in terms of sound stage and maybe imaging. 

 

Like many, I often tout the T1s as one of the best all-rounders on the market...and it still is. But much to my surprise (even after nearly a month of ownership), the Xs are an even better all-rounder. Aside from my disappointment that they didn't pair well with my Little Dot amp, they've put on a near flawless performance since arriving on my doorstep. 

 

In all fairness, I paid nearly double for the X, but given that the MSRP for the T1 is only a few hundred less than the X, I don't think it's an entirely unfair comparison. And also, in no way do I feel the T1 is a bad headphone...I can't say it's worth the retail price given how much more you can get for not much more money, but for the typical street price it's still very solid. 

post #3307 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowry View Post
 

So what amp/dac were you using that accentuated the treble on the LCD-X?

He has a Rudistor rpx-35 amp and Tranquility DAC. I don't know what emphasized the treble (in a good way), but I'll tell you the treble sounded more "there" than on any of mine: Mjolnir, WA6, Central Station, Apoggee Duet and a couple of home theater receivers.

post #3308 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by saer View Post
 

AFAIK the LCD-X has the same pads as the LCD-3, just different colors. I highly doubt they would substitute ear pads & headband for the balanced 4 pin XLR cable, wouldn't hurt to try though!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revogamer View Post
 

Same headband, but the pads on the X are slightly cushier to be honest - they are slightly different (have compared two in store)

 

Although the LCD-X's are heavier so it can give the illusion of a difference...


I prefer the LCD-3's comfort (and sound IMO) - but that i just prefer the warmer sound :)


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 12:15am
post #3309 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
 

Yep,the best Audeze cable in the the business,and I can tell you from experience that NOBODY stands behind there product like Steve!! Just waiting for my cable to arrive in the next couple days,it will be my third Q cable over the years,can hardly wait to pull that stock cable off.Using this cable is almost like not having a cable at all,its so light and flexible.

 

+10 Steve is really a pleasure to deal with, great guy. I've got two sets of Q cables myself and absolutely love them, feels as though I don't even have any cables attached to the headphones at all.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post

 

Mmm respectfully no and no. The lcd-3 ear pads are thicker in the front part of the pad than the X's otherwise I would say they are the same besides color of course. The 3's headband is a bit softer than 2's and X's. Comfort was up there with the X's. Def. closer to the 3's than the 2's I tried out about 1 and a half years ago but still not quite the same level as the 3's and if you click the button on the audeze site they still charge $20 more a piece for the 3's headband and ear pads.

 

Seeing as I currently have 4 of them at my disposal, with all possible ear pads and head bands. I really can't say I agree. The top left LCD-2 has the newest version of the black pads(same as LCD-X), the top right LCD-2 has the vegan pads(LCD-3), bottom left LCD-3 and the bottom right LCD-X. All three of the leather ear pads feel identical, as do their headbands. The only noticeable difference is of course the vegan pads, which are a bit more plush/soft. Plus they don't stick to the side of your head after awhile.

 

 


Edited by saer - 2/26/14 at 2:24am
post #3310 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chronis View Post

Oh, right, forgot to talk about this. I know why you were so impressed with the treble: I think your amp/DAC combo put it in there smily_headphones1.gif The X's sound good on my mjolhnir, but I did raise an eyebrow when I heard your combo with the same songs: Temptation, Diana Krall, Chris Botti and Andrea Bocelli. I thought: where did that come from? For some of the high strings. Nice. I liked it. A bit of noise when you crank it up without music, but I could never tell when it was playing. Very nice indeed. Thanks for the opportunity, and yes, sorry I was a bit rushed with work and trying to get ahead of the traffic. And the fish was terrific!!!

Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 12:14am
post #3311 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

So I think I've finished my informal comparison between my beloved T1s and the LCD-X. 

 

(hold on a sec....need to put my hands over the T1s ear cups)

 

I'm confident saying that there is no single area where the T1 can compete with the X in terms of sonics. The only area I can give it the nod is with comfort, and even there I can't say there is a huge margin. I don't mean this to sound like i'm throwing the Beyers under the bus, cause I'm not. But I really would have thought they would have been the equal or superior to the Xs at least in terms of sound stage and maybe imaging. 

 

Like many, I often tout the T1s as one of the best all-rounders on the market...and it still is. But much to my surprise (even after nearly a month of ownership), the Xs are an even better all-rounder. Aside from my disappointment that they didn't pair well with my Little Dot amp, they've put on a near flawless performance since arriving on my doorstep. 

 

In all fairness, I paid nearly double for the X, but given that the MSRP for the T1 is only a few hundred less than the X, I don't think it's an entirely unfair comparison. And also, in no way do I feel the T1 is a bad headphone...I can't say it's worth the retail price given how much more you can get for not much more money, but for the typical street price it's still very solid. 


i've got a spare tube amp that does pair pretty well with the X

post #3312 of 5002

want to see what old JA at stereophile thinks of the X ? review still steamin'

 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audeze-lcd-x-headphones

post #3313 of 5002

It's a good review; especially since Atkinson is coming from decades of Sennehiser allegiance.

post #3314 of 5002

This is one thing I think a lot of people fail to recognize is that when reviewing a new headphone that you are most likely used to the one you had before that and it takes time to acclimatize to the new sound.

post #3315 of 5002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike View Post
 

I never listened to the LCD-X with the stock cable; I only used my Norse 8-wire, and now the Q; I can't tell yet if there is any difference in the sound between those two cables--I mostly bought the Q for the build quality and the lack of microphonics.

 

After I get more listening time, I'll post if I can detect any differences.  (I guess I'll have to try the stock cable, as well).

Well, I still don't detect any audible difference between my Norse 8 wire cable and the Q French silk, but both of them do seem to give a slightly fuller sound in the mid bass and low bass as opposed to the stock cable.  Of course, this might just be placebo or the LCD-X wearing in a bit.  It's very slight, but noticeable to me.  

 

The main thing to me is the lightness, comfort and lack of noise against clothing with the Q.  Highly recommended.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum