New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 220

post #3286 of 6549

She is a beauty...

post #3287 of 6549

I never noticed it until now but, the X has a different material behind the grill than the LCD2 and LCD3. It has an appearance more like wool as opposed to the foam type on the earlier models.

post #3288 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

She is a beauty...


....and keep in mind to use contraception....
Edited by musikaladin - 2/25/14 at 5:17am
post #3289 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post
 

She is a beauty...

 

I pity your GF (or wife)

post #3290 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by saer View Post
 

I never noticed it until now but, the X has a different material behind the grill than the LCD2 and LCD3. It has an appearance more like wool as opposed to the foam type on the earlier models.


I noticed the same thing. It looks like felt instead of open cell foam. It's probably used to tune the damping characteristics of the drivers.

post #3291 of 6549

.  


Edited by jibzilla - 6/3/14 at 12:16am
post #3292 of 6549

AFAIK the LCD-X has the same pads as the LCD-3, just different colors. I highly doubt they would substitute ear pads & headband for the balanced 4 pin XLR cable, wouldn't hurt to try though!

post #3293 of 6549

Same headband, but the pads on the X are slightly cushier to be honest - they are slightly different (have compared two in store)

 

Although the LCD-X's are heavier so it can give the illusion of a difference...


I prefer the LCD-3's comfort (and sound IMO) - but that i just prefer the warmer sound :)

post #3294 of 6549
Oh, right, forgot to talk about this. I know why you were so impressed with the treble: I think your amp/DAC combo put it in there smily_headphones1.gif The X's sound good on my mjolhnir, but I did raise an eyebrow when I heard your combo with the same songs: Temptation, Diana Krall, Chris Botti and Andrea Bocelli. I thought: where did that come from? For some of the high strings. Nice. I liked it. A bit of noise when you crank it up without music, but I could never tell when it was playing. Very nice indeed. Thanks for the opportunity, and yes, sorry I was a bit rushed with work and trying to get ahead of the traffic. And the fish was terrific!!!
post #3295 of 6549

I got the Q French Silk cable in gray for my black LCD-X.  Sounds great, looks great, and is the first cable I've ever had that has zero microphonics.  It lays on my chest and if I move, it does not make a sound.  

 

The other cable I had purchased awhile back for my (now sold) LCD 2.2 was a Norse 8-wire.  I had been using this with the LCD-X also.  I weighed it on a small kitchen scale, and it came in at 6.8 ounces; not too bad for an 8 foot length cable.  The new Q cable (which is a bit longer at 2.5 meters)   weighed in at 3.6 ounces, almost half the weight of the Norse.

 

This cable is a nice addition to a great headphone; it took about 2 weeks from the day I ordered it to arrive at my door.  The package was so light I was worried there was nothing in it!  Here are a couple of pics:

 


Edited by Red Jacket Mike - 2/25/14 at 4:30pm
post #3296 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibzilla View Post
 

So George Chronis was nice enough to bring his X's over for me to try. WOW these headphones sound amazing. I thought my HE-500 would give it a run for it's money with the 3 mods that I did. The HE-500 got beat pretty good. Not a total ass whoopin but 80/20 was in full effect if not 75/25.

 

For quite some time I have been looking for a 1-2k headphone to use as a mastering headphone and casual listening headphone. The hd-800 came close but awfully cold, dry and bright for casual listening. The lcd-3 was very good but still a bit too colored for mastering. The He-500 was great for casual listening but with the mods the giant earholes(th-600 pads), turbulent labs headband wrap, great weight and too long cable they kept falling off my head when I was mastering mostly because I stand and head bob when I master and my feet kept getting caught in the cable. For that reason I have always kept the hd-600 and now the shure srh1840's around for mastering. The lcd-x's are the closest I have come across for satisfying both casual and mastering. I may have found the ONE! 

 

I thought the he-500 had great treble but the X's are by far the best treble I have ever heard. The ear pads were much improved as well. Not quite as comfy as the 3's but way more comfy that the 2's. I think I might see if audeze will give me the 3's headband and pads for the balanced cable that they are out of. Anyone else a lil disappointed that the X's don't have this. I understand that audeze still needs to sell the 3's but if it came with the 3's earpads and headband it would be a no brainer and I would def. buy it.

 

If you get a chance George let me know what you thought of my rpx-35 and tranquilty combo. I wanted to ask you but it looked like you were in a hurry. I thought it was really good with your X's but it would nice to get another headfier's perspective and thanks again.  

So what amp/dac were you using that accentuated the treble on the LCD-X?

post #3297 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jacket Mike View Post
 

I got the Q French Silk cable in gray for my black LCD-X.  Sounds great, looks great, and is the first cable I've ever had that has zero microphonics.  It lays on my chest and if I move, it does not make a sound.  

 

The other cable I had purchased awhile back for my (now sold) LCD 2.2 was a Norse 8-wire.  I had been using this with the LCD-X also.  I weighed it on a small kitchen scale, and it came in at 6.8 ounces; not too bad for an 8 foot length cable.  The new Q cable (which is a bit longer at 2.5 meters)   weighed in at 3.6 ounces, almost half the weight of the Norse.

 

This cable is a nice addition to a great headphone; it took about 2 weeks from the day I ordered it to arrive at my door.  The package was so light I was worried there was nothing in it!  Here are a couple of pics:

 

Yep,the best Audeze cable in the the business,and I can tell you from experience that NOBODY stands behind there product like Steve!! Just waiting for my cable to arrive in the next couple days,it will be my third Q cable over the years,can hardly wait to pull that stock cable off.Using this cable is almost like not having a cable at all,its so light and flexible.

post #3298 of 6549

I have been living with the LCD-X for two months now, I must say that I am really enjoying them (one headphone that can rule all music genre).  I was driving the X with a Graham Slee Solo SRG II and have recently replaced it with an Auralic Taurus MKII.  I thought the Solo did a decent job with the X (given X' efficiency), but the Taurus beats the Solo handily upon direct comparison!  The bass, which I thought was already quite good when driven by the Solo, went down another level (deeper and tighter bass) with the Taurus.  The treble is silky smooth, without occasional harshness from the Solo, and the mids are right where they should be (not recessed, not forward).

 

Definitely recommend given the Taurus a try if you have the X!    

post #3299 of 6549

When I first demo the x, I found the mids was a bit forward.

Maybe I used to the presentation of both th900 and hd800.

After living with a pair for about a week, I found that the mids didn't bother me.

 

This phone had a great tonality. Nice holographic (and decent size) soundstage and smooth presentation.

Overall, I still prefer hd800 but easily better than my th900.

post #3300 of 6549
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraha View Post
 

When I first demo the x, I found the mids was a bit forward.

Maybe I used to the presentation of both th900 and hd800.

After living with a pair for about a week, I found that the mids didn't bother me.

 

This phone had a great tonality. Nice holographic (and decent size) soundstage and smooth presentation.

Overall, I still prefer hd800 but easily better than my th900.

Actually I'd say the mids on the TH-900s are slightly recessed from neutral, while pretty much bang on with the LCD-X. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum