New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 209

post #3121 of 5039

Bid difference with the X over the 2 or 2.2 Had them both and this is the best one I have heard. Like them much better than anything else they have put out to date. Big leap forward in soundstage and air.

post #3122 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post

Lovely to see everyone liking the LCD-X better than the other Audeze 'phones for the most part. Even better to see them sounding great with the V200! I'm seriously thinking about putting my LCD-2 R.2 up for sale so I can fund the X. I know it would be smarter to buy the X, compare, and sell the one I don't want...but my way is much MUCH quicker for money. biggrin.gif

From what I've read, the only area the LCD-2 competes with the X is it has more bass quantity, but I think sometimes it has too much of it and I want more detail. I want to keep the Audeze awesomeness that the LCD-2 provides but with better soundstage and just improved in every way. I also want to use them in the studio for mixing.

 Is there any reason for me to not sell my LCD-2 to fund an LCD-X? Should I just do it ASAP?

I just ordered the LCD-X and will be doing a head to head comparison with my LCD 2 revision 2 headphones using my Mjolnir/Gungnir stack. The Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so I believe I can make a relatively accurate comparison by switching back and forth while listening to the same material. I really do like the LCD 2's and will likely be keeping them anyway as I have a second listening station where I can switch back and forth between my Wadia 121 and my Burson HA 160D. I'm curious to see how the LCD-X sounds with each of my amp/DAC set ups. I'll post my opinions here if you aren't in a hurry but I'd suggest holding on to the LCD 2's to make a legitimate comparison on your own equipment and then selling the loser.
post #3123 of 5039

Okay, so I decided I'd go with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack. I was debating and considering the Master 9, V200, Phonitor, Auditor, Yulong A18... etc. I went with the Schiit stack mostly for convenience, aesthetics, and the fact it could be on my desk in 2 days via Amazon Prime. 

 

The box was extremely simple, with only a single small sticker stating "Mjolnir Balanced Headphone Amplifier", indicating it was indeed the right box. However, the manual was a usual treasure trove of Schiit humor. Many little quips like these made me look forward to reading more manuals in the future - never thought I'd say that... :tongue:

 

 

Anyway, this is the LCD-X thread, so as for sound... wow. These beat the Schiit out of my HiFiman EF5. The soundstage, detail, instrument separation, and bass all seem to be much improved and my headphones sound fantastic now. The EF5 has a much warmer sound, and I don't think the LCD-X is bright enough to balance the combo out.  It only took one song on the Mjolnir for me to realize just how much more I like this amp. Nearly every subsequent song I've listened to has given me the chills - it's honestly like an entirely different headphone now.

Once my Gungnir arrives, my Schiit stack will be balanced - both aesthetically and literally lol. (Although it still looks good right now with a black Uber Bifrost IMO!)

 

(Excuse the poor iPhone picture quality. :rolleyes:)

 

TL;DR. The Mjolnir is an excellent pairing with the LCD-X's in my opinion. I'm very happy with my setup now. ^_^


Edited by VidFail - 2/17/14 at 3:19pm
post #3124 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post
 

... I know it would be smarter to buy the X, compare, and sell the one I don't want...but my way is much MUCH quicker for money. :biggrin:

 

From what I've read, the only area the LCD-2 competes with the X is it has more bass quantity, but I think sometimes it has too much of it and I want more detail. I want to keep the Audeze awesomeness that the LCD-2 provides but with better soundstage and just improved in every way. I also want to use them in the studio for mixing.

 

 Is there any reason for me to not sell my LCD-2 to fund an LCD-X? Should I just do it ASAP?

I had the LCD-2s for a year and while I still think they're great headphones--the LCD-Xs outperform them in every way. I think 99/100 people are going to prefer the LCD-X. As much as I love the LCD-2s, I think it would be tough using them to mix sound. The LCD-Xs are much more suitable for mixing.

post #3125 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidFail View Post
 

Okay, so I decided I'd go with the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack. I was debating and considering the Master 9, V200, Phonitor, Auditor, Yulong A18... etc. I went with the Schiit stack mostly for convenience, aesthetics, and the fact it could be on my desk in 2 days via Amazon Prime.

 

The box was extremely simple, with only a single small sticker stating "Mjolnir Balanced Headphone Amplifier", indicating it was indeed the right box. However, the manual was a usual treasure trove of Schiit humor. Many little quips like these made me look forward to reading more manuals in the future - never thought I'd say that... :tongue:

 

 

Anyway, this is the LCD-X thread, so as for sound... wow. These beat the Schiit out of my HiFiman EF5. The soundstage, detail, instrument separation, and bass all seem to be much improved and my headphones sound fantastic now. The EF5 has a much warmer sound, and I don't think the LCD-X is bright enough to balance the combo out.  It only took one song on the Mjolnir for me to realize just how much more I like this amp. Nearly every subsequent song I've listened to has given me the chills - it's honestly like an entirely different headphone now.

Once my Gungnir arrives, my Schiit stack will be balanced - both aesthetically and literally lol. (Although it still looks good right now with a black Uber Bifrost IMO!)

 

(Excuse the poor iPhone picture quality. :rolleyes:)

 

TL;DR. The Mjolnir is an excellent pairing with the LCD-X's in my opinion. I'm very happy with my setup now. ^_^

I've been singing praises about the Mjolnir/LCD-X combo from the start.  I'm really happy for you.  You've got yourself a really good rig.  Enjoy.

post #3126 of 5039

OK!

 

Just picked up my second hand Audio GD NFB 15.32..

 

Yeah if you've stretched your budget on your X's like I have, and you need a low cost solution to get through till you can save the pennies, this is a bloody good idea. Of course I'm not comparing it to the Woos/Mjoinirs/Brystons/Bursons etc, but it gives a more then satisfactory sound. Nice and rich, ever so slightly warm, (reflects my love of valve amps:)) and bloody good imaging for $AUS RRP of $300, and certainly better then the swag of portables on the market at the same RRP.. if you can find one used, like I did, it can be an even better bargain!! Unless someone better then I can pick it, the filters make bugger all difference to the sound, but I paid $230 so I'm not complaining!! Depth is real good, and width is great. And me being a vinyl person, I just discovered that, because I use iTunes, I now have to re-rip all my favourite CD's to ALAC.. as this amp can certainly show the differences. Poo, but good at the same time! Bjork's Biophillia which I bought today, on ALAC sounds UNBELIEVABLE!! (Compared to AAC or the dreaded MP3!!) And this puppy has 3.5W into 25 ohms;)

 

This will get me thru till I can stump up cash for a Woo again:)


Edited by migasson - 2/17/14 at 10:45pm
post #3127 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deverica Wolf View Post
 

Lovely to see everyone liking the LCD-X better than the other Audeze 'phones for the most part. Even better to see them sounding great with the V200! I'm seriously thinking about putting my LCD-2 R.2 up for sale so I can fund the X. I know it would be smarter to buy the X, compare, and sell the one I don't want...but my way is much MUCH quicker for money. :biggrin:

 

From what I've read, the only area the LCD-2 competes with the X is it has more bass quantity, but I think sometimes it has too much of it and I want more detail. I want to keep the Audeze awesomeness that the LCD-2 provides but with better soundstage and just improved in every way. I also want to use them in the studio for mixing.

 

 Is there any reason for me to not sell my LCD-2 to fund an LCD-X? Should I just do it ASAP?

 

I actually started out with LCD-2.2. I recently bought LCD-X, then sold my LCD-2 on ebay.

 

I had to know just how much better X was than 2, so I rented X from thecableco.com. They charge you 5% of the cost of the headphones to borrow for around two weeks, and you can use that credit toward anything they sell in store. I borrowed several different headphones, built up around $350 in credit, and used that toward my LCD-X.

 

The X is to my ears, an obvious improvement over 2.2 in many ways. My LCD-2 sold for $810, $40 less than the price I purchased it for on ebay. Sell your LCD-2 for the X. You won't be disappointed!

post #3128 of 5039

With that said, is the X closer to the 2 than the 3 as far as sound signature ?

post #3129 of 5039

Thank you all for the comments! Pretty much what I figured. I even contacted another user here, Danz03, who mixes with the LCD-2 R.2 and gushes about their accuracy vs. other headphones and he's made the switch to the X as well. I see absolutely no reason to not sell the 2 right now and get the X. :D

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadget67 View Post


I just ordered the LCD-X and will be doing a head to head comparison with my LCD 2 revision 2 headphones using my Mjolnir/Gungnir stack. The Mjolnir allows two headphones to be connected at the same time so I believe I can make a relatively accurate comparison by switching back and forth while listening to the same material. I really do like the LCD 2's and will likely be keeping them anyway as I have a second listening station where I can switch back and forth between my Wadia 121 and my Burson HA 160D. I'm curious to see how the LCD-X sounds with each of my amp/DAC set ups. I'll post my opinions here if you aren't in a hurry but I'd suggest holding on to the LCD 2's to make a legitimate comparison on your own equipment and then selling the loser.

 

I look forward to reading your thoughts! I have to prepare the sale then still save up a little for the X so I'm sure I'll hear your thoughts first. Still, I can't imagine preferring the 2 in any way. The soundstage has always been the weak spot with the 2s, everyone knows this. I can't quite hear the sludge that people talk about, but I know it must be there. Once I hear the X's clarity, I know I would never enjoy the 2s in the same way again.

 

As I am in my final days before I tell her the marriage is over, please leave me be to enjoy my petty time of mourning with my first wife. Sniff...sniff...cough. :popcorn: 

post #3130 of 5039

Have been listening to Bjork's Biophilia, "Cosmogony" Beautiful, deep, controlled, textural bass. BEST ever, and thats with a $300 buck amp. Now Portishead, "Numb" Oh..my….god;)

post #3131 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
 

Bid difference with the X over the 2 or 2.2 Had them both and this is the best one I have heard. Like them much better than anything else they have put out to date. Big leap forward in soundstage and air.

 

+1

 

I felt a little apprehensive when I decided to return the 2s and order the Xs...I loved the 2s, and in the back of my mind I was thinking it wouldn't be worth the upgrade. Those fears were put to rest pretty quickly. As awesome as the 2s are, the Xs outgun them in every area. 

post #3132 of 5039
This thread has become interesting. LCD X might be better overall than the LCD2 but waiting for more feedback how they are on the how they both compare specificallly using the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack.

I don't want to change around everything, especially whats been considered an ideal combo to accomodate one new piece of gear.
As you get older buying/selling becomes a chore you become lazy But If I see overwhelming response that LCDX >>LCD2 on the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack I might just have to go for it.
post #3133 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala View Post

This thread has become interesting. LCD X might be better overall than the LCD2 but waiting for more feedback how they are on the how they both compare specificallly using the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack.

I don't want to change around everything, especially whats been considered an ideal combo to accomodate one new piece of gear.
As you get older buying/selling becomes a chore you become lazy But If I see overwhelming response that LCDX >>LCD2 on the Mjolnir/Gungnir stack I might just have to go for it.


Here's my take in a nutshell. The Gungnir/Mjolnir is an ideal chain to power the LCD-2s and is very good, but less than ideal, for driving the LCD-Xs. Even so, the LCD-Xs out of the Gungnir/Mjolnir are markedly superior to the LCD-2s out of the same rig.

post #3134 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 


Here's my take in a nutshell. The Gungnir/Mjolnir is an ideal chain to power the LCD-2s and is very good, but less than ideal, for driving the LCD-Xs. Even so, the LCD-Xs out of the Gungnir/Mjolnir are markedly superior to the LCD-2s out of the same rig.

And what would be your ideal recommendation for the X's around the $1k mark for amplification, Barry?

 

Thanks!

post #3135 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chronis View Post
 

And what would be your ideal recommendation for the X's around the $1k mark for amplification, Barry?

 

Thanks!


i've had the mjo and the mjo is really good, then i got a used bryston bha-1 used for under a $1000, i feel its better, also the soloist i bet would be nice, i had it when i had the lcd2, but not the x

right now, i'm listening to the lyr with the x, its great if you want tubes  just throwing it out there

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum