New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 198

post #2956 of 4904
Lost my SR535 a week ago. Decided that maybe I should avoid IEM as I had lost 3 pair in last year. Ended up replacing them with Sennheiser Momentums. Wow they felt heavy and so big compared to what I was used to for portable rig. In any case, started thinking a good home headphone system would be nice given that the new baby doesn't like loud noises.

Did my research and popped into local head/hi if shop, Audio High. Auditioned hd800 and lcd 3. While lcd 3 had good bass range and control, the lows just were overwhelming the rest of the music for me. The hd800 seemed more my speed, but the huge soundstage seemed unrealistic and deterred from enjoyment of music for some genres. For classical, hd800 were pretty awesome. For thinner music like most rock, the huge soundstage was distracting. Why does the 4 member band sound like they are coming from different zip codes? In any case, salesguy said I should try lcd-x. Took about 30 sec to decide they were the best for me. Soundstage seemed bigger than lcd 3 but obviously no where close to hd800. The bass was present and controlled, but no where near volume I heard with lcd 3 and more than hd800. Just musical and lovely vocals with good resolution. In any case, walked out of there with lcd x (btw how do I post my freq graph), a hd650 for my brother in law, and a couple of meredian explorers for fun.

My dilemma now is to design a headphone rig to properly play my lcd x. While lcd x seems relatively easy to drive, I do want a rig that will make it sing and hopefully work with any harder to drive headphones I might buy in future. So please give me any recommendations and positives/negatives of them as I basically only really know stereo equipment. Looking at woo audio stuff, wa7 etc; burson soloist/conductor; chord hugo; yulong. Feel free to suggest more, but please give me some strengths/weakness with the lcd x.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, now my Momentums sound terrible. I actually was walking around with lcd x plugged into ipod while running errands. Caught a glimpse of me in window. I looked ridiculous and I was reminded that these were open headphones and everyone could hear what I was listening too, including the embarrassing stuff, but it sounded so good that I kept it to a glance and promptly ignored it.
post #2957 of 4904
Forgot to mention, basically using stereo equipment to listen to lcd x. Oppo bdp-105d headphone amp. Anthem d2v preamp, and peachtree nova. Basically the Low bar new equipment would need to beat.
post #2958 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanlitun View Post
 

 

 For a long time I was trying to build a headphone system that matched the sound of my big speaker rig, and as of now I have actually exceeded that goal by some considerable margin.

 

 

 

I know what you mean...I have been into home audio for a long while now, and in 2009 I finally had the rig that I knew I would not be able to improve upon without spending considerably more. It never even crossed my mind that I'd ever approach it with a pair of headphones, but the X has proved me wrong. And that's considering that probably 70% of my listening so far has been with just a Roku connected to Meier Jazz with just a little mini-to-RCA cable. Going to the full Meier rig of the Classic and the Daccord is a step up for sure, but just this little Roku rig for movies and Pandora has been a true joy. Pretty cool!

post #2959 of 4904
Looks like I have just made a deal on a gunmetal LCD-X.This is going to be my only headphone in my rig,so one of the main reason I got it is because most here say it's the most versatile Audeze out there.I previously owned the lcd-2.2,really enjoyed the Audeze sound,regretted selling it but ultimately wanted a similar sound with a little more sparkle up top.A week ago I purchased an he-500,but found it to sound very grainy and didn't agree with my ears(returned em).I am quite sensitive to bright headphones,will be pairing the LCD-X with a Yulong A18/D18 stack which are known to be quite smooth,so I hope I have found a combo here that has a happy medium of detail without any harshness to my ears.Has anyone tried the LCD-X with with the A18/D18?smily_headphones1.gif
post #2960 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

I know what you mean...I have been into home audio for a long while now, and in 2009 I finally had the rig that I knew I would not be able to improve upon without spending considerably more. It never even crossed my mind that I'd ever approach it with a pair of headphones, but the X has proved me wrong. And that's considering that probably 70% of my listening so far has been with just a Roku connected to Meier Jazz with just a little mini-to-RCA cable. Going to the full Meier rig of the Classic and the Daccord is a step up for sure, but just this little Roku rig for movies and Pandora has been a true joy. Pretty cool!


that's how i can connect, just get some long interconnects, and move my little ican amp to my movie chair !

post #2961 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


that's how i can connect, just get some long interconnects, and move my little ican amp to my movie chair !

 

Yep, I'm sure you can do it without having to change or add gear at all...I'm getting amazing sound even with simple hook ups like what I described. Not using any fancy or expensive cables, just whatever gets me wired up. I also sent BlueJeansCable the Audeze spec on their headphone cable and had them build me a 20' version...so I just take my Xs with me from room to room and hook them up to whatever is there. In the living room I have a Peachtree Nova, in the bedroom I have the Roku, and then in my little HT/listening room I have the Meier Stack. Makes it really easy when you have a long cable to wire up in any situation. 

post #2962 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

Yep, I'm sure you can do it without having to change or add gear at all...I'm getting amazing sound even with simple hook ups like what I described. Not using any fancy or expensive cables, just whatever gets me wired up. I also sent BlueJeansCable the Audeze spec on their headphone cable and had them build me a 20' version...so I just take my Xs with me from room to room and hook them up to whatever is there. In the living room I have a Peachtree Nova, in the bedroom I have the Roku, and then in my little HT/listening room I have the Meier Stack. Makes it really easy when you have a long cable to wire up in any situation. 


i've got a the 14' grado extension cable, but i'm going to get a long interconnect to have the amp at my chair, volume up, volume down !

post #2963 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


i've got a the 14' grado extension cable, but i'm going to get a long interconnect to have the amp at my chair, volume up, volume down !

 

Nice, that'll work...that's probably more practical, cause I do notice that the volume varies quite a bit from one movie/show to the next. 

 

When is that big bad Bryston going to make an appearance? 

post #2964 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focker View Post
 

 

Nice, that'll work...that's probably more practical, cause I do notice that the volume varies quite a bit from one movie/show to the next. 

 

When is that big bad Bryston going to make an appearance? 


cam got it to ups saturday morning, i haven't checked, maybe tomorrow , or tuesday

post #2965 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

Looks like I have just made a deal on a gunmetal LCD-X.This is going to be my only headphone in my rig,so one of the main reason I got it is because most here say it's the most versatile Audeze out there.I previously owned the lcd-2.2,really enjoyed the Audeze sound,regretted selling it but ultimately wanted a similar sound with a little more sparkle up top.A week ago I purchased an he-500,but found it to sound very grainy and didn't agree with my ears(returned em).I am quite sensitive to bright headphones,will be pairing the LCD-X with a Yulong A18/D18 stack which are known to be quite smooth,so I hope I have found a combo here that has a happy medium of detail without any harshness to my ears.Has anyone tried the LCD-X with with the A18/D18?smily_headphones1.gif


I think you're going to love the LCD-X. It improves on the good points of the LCD-2, especially adding some well-defined treble sparkle and shimmer. Agree with you on the graininess of the HE500--maybe the HE560 will be an improvement.

post #2966 of 4904

I have what could be a silly question,

 

Are the cable interconnects that go into the Audeze cans, the same across the LCD range, or are each bespoke. Im wondering if say a LCD-2 or 3 cable would work with the LCD-X.

post #2967 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar View Post
 

I have what could be a silly question,

 

Are the cable interconnects that go into the Audeze cans, the same across the LCD range, or are each bespoke. Im wondering if say a LCD-2 or 3 cable would work with the LCD-X.


same

post #2968 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarina View Post

Looks like I have just made a deal on a gunmetal LCD-X.This is going to be my only headphone in my rig,so one of the main reason I got it is because most here say it's the most versatile Audeze out there.I previously owned the lcd-2.2,really enjoyed the Audeze sound,regretted selling it but ultimately wanted a similar sound with a little more sparkle up top.A week ago I purchased an he-500,but found it to sound very grainy and didn't agree with my ears(returned em).I am quite sensitive to bright headphones,will be pairing the LCD-X with a Yulong A18/D18 stack which are known to be quite smooth,so I hope I have found a combo here that has a happy medium of detail without any harshness to my ears.Has anyone tried the LCD-X with with the A18/D18?smily_headphones1.gif


I think you're going to love the LCD-X. It improves on the good points of the LCD-2, especially adding some well-defined treble sparkle and shimmer. Agree with you on the graininess of the HE500--maybe the HE560 will be an improvement.

Thanks Barry,its reassuring to hear that from someone who has the used the same headphones as a point of reference.The waiting begins.....................  

post #2969 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywillin View Post
 


same

Great, so if I buy a Toxic-Cables LCD-2 for example, I can use it with the LCD-X when I get them?

post #2970 of 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar View Post
 

Great, so if I buy a Toxic-Cables LCD-2 for example, I can use it with the LCD-X when I get them?

You sure can. I bought the Silver Widow for LCD-2, used it with LCD-3 and now with LCD-X :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum