Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudez'e LCD-Xtagged by joe, 2/21/14
Related Forum Threads
- What open headphones (no IEM and closed headphones) compete with Grados for Rock. Last post on 2/20/15 at 4:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Help with Amp Decision for LCD-3f before deployment Last post on 12/26/14 at 4:34pm in High-end Audio Forum
- 2nd pair of cans Last post on 1/7/15 at 9:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- **Amp suggestions needed** Last post on 9/2/14 at 9:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 2/8/15 at 10:23pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Audeze LCD-X - Page 197
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
I'm sure the GS-X mk2 would fit the bill, but....daughter #1 private college tuition+room/board+car/insurance= no GS-X mk2. Looking forward to the mighty Ragnarok and maybe the Master 9 or some DIY wildcards.
Edited by musikaladin - 2/8/14 at 9:26am
The LCD-X have this sort of realism and clarity in the midrange that is just astonishing at times. It's definition with emotion and PRAT. The HD800 probably have an edge in overall resolution but it seems forced and unreal to me in comparison to the LCD-X, even irritating at times. I spent a considerable amount of effort in the past on taming the HD800 and was never really successful.
I've had my LCD-X for nearly two weeks now and have absolutely no regrets despite their expense. They are as of now the crown jewel in my rig and I now have a setup that I love to listen to and I can really enjoy music with. For a long time I was trying to build a headphone system that matched the sound of my big speaker rig, and as of now I have actually exceeded that goal by some considerable margin.
I would suggest you audition them both, because if you do listen to classical as it is performed on stage it may be preferable to have the HD800 as their enhanced soundstage sometimes works out really well with classical and you may prefer it. I listen to a fair amount of symphonic (the LSO Beethoven DSD series) and piano, and I prefer the LCD-X for their overall tone and realism which I consider to be more important than a super wide stage. In fact over the past two weeks I have only swapped my HD800s back in once to do a comparison and they were back out in 10 minutes.
I'm the sort of person who usually complains about everything and tends to suffer from a lot of buyer's remorse, but not this time. The LCD-X are an amazing achievement and considering how good they are with so many genres of music are probably overall the best phones I have heard.
Hehe, Saw this and put mine on. It sounds great :). Listening to it now.
I have been listening to a lot of Pink Floyd since I got mine. A band called Haken, Steven Wilson, Opeth. Tchaikovsky, Bach, Saint-Saens, Tool, Devin Townsend, King Crimson. There's been a lot more and it's all excellent.
Can't seem to get the LCD-X off my head.
So you like them with Prog-Metal music ?
Hehe. Mind you though I listen to a lot of music and not just prog rock/metal. There's an awful lot of classical in my play list right now, I am liking pretty much all of it. Jazz too. Was kicking back to some Miles Davis earlier and it was so awesome.
Did my research and popped into local head/hi if shop, Audio High. Auditioned hd800 and lcd 3. While lcd 3 had good bass range and control, the lows just were overwhelming the rest of the music for me. The hd800 seemed more my speed, but the huge soundstage seemed unrealistic and deterred from enjoyment of music for some genres. For classical, hd800 were pretty awesome. For thinner music like most rock, the huge soundstage was distracting. Why does the 4 member band sound like they are coming from different zip codes? In any case, salesguy said I should try lcd-x. Took about 30 sec to decide they were the best for me. Soundstage seemed bigger than lcd 3 but obviously no where close to hd800. The bass was present and controlled, but no where near volume I heard with lcd 3 and more than hd800. Just musical and lovely vocals with good resolution. In any case, walked out of there with lcd x (btw how do I post my freq graph), a hd650 for my brother in law, and a couple of meredian explorers for fun.
My dilemma now is to design a headphone rig to properly play my lcd x. While lcd x seems relatively easy to drive, I do want a rig that will make it sing and hopefully work with any harder to drive headphones I might buy in future. So please give me any recommendations and positives/negatives of them as I basically only really know stereo equipment. Looking at woo audio stuff, wa7 etc; burson soloist/conductor; chord hugo; yulong. Feel free to suggest more, but please give me some strengths/weakness with the lcd x.
Thanks in advance.
Btw, now my Momentums sound terrible. I actually was walking around with lcd x plugged into ipod while running errands. Caught a glimpse of me in window. I looked ridiculous and I was reminded that these were open headphones and everyone could hear what I was listening too, including the embarrassing stuff, but it sounded so good that I kept it to a glance and promptly ignored it.
- Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sony walkman Tips and Tricks 48 seconds ago
- › FiiO New Portable Headphone Amp A1 --Classic & Tiny & Metal 1 minute ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Jotunheim Competitors? Looking for a new DAC/Amp combo 3 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 4 minutes ago
- › Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 5 minutes ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 7 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Gemtune Urbanfun Hifi Dual-driver In-ear Headphones,Hybrid Balanced... by loomisjohnson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...