New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 177

post #2641 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
 


I'm not sure I prefer one over the other--I think I'd ultimately like both for the LCD-X. One guy brought a SS Krell clone he built--it was beautifully transparent and powerful--GSX mk2 territory. He also brought a modded WA2 and damn if it didn't sound good with the LCD-X. My eyes popped when I learned it was an OTL amp.  Lots of home-brew tube amps and most of them sounded very good with the LCD-X.

 

WA2 and GSX MK2 :beerchug: 

post #2642 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

Personally, the Audeze headphones (specifically the LCD-X) doesn't make the top 10. Not a hater, just the way I feel. Some headphones off the top of my head that are supremely comfortable that I've worn (some haven't owned) include:

HD600/650 - actually most of the older Senn's (HD555/558/598...)
Phillips X1
Denon D2K/5K/7K
Fostex TH-600/900
Mad Dog
Sony MDR-1
STAX SR-007/009

The most comfortable headphone I've worn is the Beyerdynamic DT990 but all the Beyer headphones are extremely comfortable IMO. 

The Fostex are lightweight and the Beyers will never cause you any pain whilst they're on your head, but they both have their drawbacks. The Fostex pads are too small and the Beyers (T1) have a horrible spike that causes your ears to ring for hours after you're done wearing them.

I'm not in any deliberate way trying to be contrary here - I genuinely believe that Audeze and Hifiman make some of the most comfortable headphones. I had zero problems with the HE-500 and the minor comfort-related issues I had with the Audezes were rectified with a little tweaking.

Having said all of that, I can perfectly understand that not everyone will agree.
post #2643 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

 

I tried the LCD-Xs with a bunch of different amps and learned they're very slutty headphones

I love sluts. If the X is a bigger slut than the LCD-2, then that's nice cuz the LCD-2 is known for being an amp slut.

post #2644 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1110 View Post


The Fostex are lightweight and the Beyers will never cause you any pain whilst they're on your head, but they both have their drawbacks. The Fostex pads are too small and the Beyers (T1) have a horrible spike that causes your ears to ring for hours after you're done wearing them.

I'm not in any deliberate way trying to be contrary here - I genuinely believe that Audeze and Hifiman make some of the most comfortable headphones. I had zero problems with the HE-500 and the minor comfort-related issues I had with the Audezes were rectified with a little tweaking.

Having said all of that, I can perfectly understand that not everyone will agree.

 

I can understand that for sure. Yea, since we all have unique head shapes, sizes, etc. YMMV. I just can't support the claim that Audeze makes some of the most comfortable headphones, although they aren't terribly uncomfortable. 

post #2645 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greed View Post

I can understand that for sure. Yea, since we all have unique head shapes, sizes, etc. YMMV. I just can't support the claim that Audeze makes some of the most comfortable headphones, although they aren't terribly uncomfortable. 

Audezes are like those Brooks bicycle saddles: excruciatingly painful at first; the most comfortable things going once they've gotten used to you :-)
post #2646 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post
 

How long are everyone's listening sessions with their LCD's? Are you upright or leaned back when listening?

 

When I had mine, I literally had them on my head for about 12 out of my 16 waking hours for the first couple weeks. I used them for tv viewing, movie watching, music, online surfing, etc, etc. 

post #2647 of 4932
I've gotta say, from the meet today, I liked them......a lot. smily_headphones1.gif. The depth and speed, especially at the low end, had a certain emotion to it that moved me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry S View Post

I tried the LCD-Xs with a bunch of different amps and learned they're very slutty headphones--they pair well with a variety of amps, both SS and tube. This is a big change from the LCD-2s, that I found surprisingly difficult to pair well. Listening to the LCD-2s again, I feel like the price difference between the Xs is worth every penny, and then some. Someone brought an SR-007 mk2/KGSS and I greatly preferred the LCD-Xs. Most people that auditioned the LCD-Xs liked them-- a lot.
post #2648 of 4932

If I wear my LCD-2's without extra padding I can begin to feel pressure after maybe 15 minutes, and can get a headache within an hour (fortunately I have extra padding, which makes them bearable for a longer amount of time). I have the leather headband and it really doesn't have much padding to speak of (about as much on the bottom of the headband as on the top), but the earpads are very comfortable. My D7000's can give me a bit of pressure after a couple hours, but rarely do I feel the need to take them off because of discomfort (I can easily wear them for 8 hours or more at a time). The Koss ESP-950's had zero comfort issues even for 12 hour or more sessions because of how incredibly light they are, and how much surface area is in contact with your head.

 

Perhaps I was just spoiled by my last few headphones, but comfort in the headband area (not the earpads) is far and away my largest issue with Audeze headphones. I need a headphone I can wear literally all day (and sometimes all night too) since I listen to music while working. I do admit that there are other headphones that easily have as much of a comfort issue as Audeze cans, but they are all under $300 and they are focused more on shallow earcups rather than poorly padded headbands.

post #2649 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taowolf51 View Post

If I wear my LCD-2's without extra padding I can begin to feel pressure after maybe 15 minutes, and can get a headache within an hour (fortunately I have extra padding, which makes them bearable for a longer amount of time). I have the leather headband and it really doesn't have much padding to speak of (about as much on the bottom of the headband as on the top), but the earpads are very comfortable. My D7000's can give me a bit of pressure after a couple hours, but rarely do I feel the need to take them off because of discomfort (I can easily wear them for 8 hours or more at a time). The Koss ESP-950's had zero comfort issues even for 12 hour or more sessions because of how incredibly light they are, and how much surface area is in contact with your head.

Perhaps I was just spoiled by my last few headphones, but comfort in the headband area (not the earpads) is far and away my largest issue with Audeze headphones. I need a headphone I can wear literally all day (and sometimes all night too) since I listen to music while working. I do admit that there are other headphones that easily have as much of a comfort issue as Audeze cans, but they are all under $300 and they are focused more on shallow earcups rather than poorly padded headbands.

I have recently changed out the leather headband for a microsuede one on my LCD-3s, for a nice step up in comfort. Kept the leather pads. I can wear them for hour after hour. Really comfy now.
Edited by Jones Bob - 1/18/14 at 7:01pm
post #2650 of 4932

I do remember the suede pads having more padding and being more comfortable. I was thinking about getting the suede headband from Audeze but will most likely look to cheaper DIY options first.

post #2651 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post
 

I love sluts. If the X is a bigger slut than the LCD-2, then that's nice cuz the LCD-2 is known for being an amp slut.

 

The LCD-X was not made for a monogamous relationship. :tongue_smile:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

I've gotta say, from the meet today, I liked them......a lot. smily_headphones1.gif. The depth and speed, especially at the low end, had a certain emotion to it that moved me.

 

You've got the right amps for them. If only I could find someone to build me a KSA5 clone.

post #2652 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindingThud View Post

I've gotta say, from the meet today, I liked them......a lot. smily_headphones1.gif. The depth and speed, especially at the low end, had a certain emotion to it that moved me.

Yeah the speed is what jumped out to me most (in comparison to the 2's). Was my first time hearing the X and the 3's. Wouldn't mind some more time with both outside of a meet environment.
post #2653 of 4932

Just bought a WA22 amp, what DAC would you guys recommend to go with it?

post #2654 of 4932
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphkz View Post

Just bought a WA22 amp, what DAC would you guys recommend to go with it?

If I'd just bought a WA22 I'd be looking at the Master 7.
post #2655 of 4932

Hi! I'm looking for the next logical step from a pair of Sennheiser HD650 + Bottlehead Crack and I think the LCD X is interesting. I really like the sound of the HD650 hp's but I listen to a lot of progressive rock/metal and some faster metal and feel that the HD650 have a hard time keeping up with faster music, as a comparison my Sennheiser Amperior puts up a much better pace for faster music. 

It seems the LCD-X can handle both fast and slow so that seems good. However, I would also need a new amp, considering the LCD-X is alot easier to drive than the LCD2/3 wouldn't a  Burson Soloist SL suffice, or what do you think?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum