New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 157

post #2341 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

 

That's for your LCD-4.

 

It's like a kick-starter. God knows how long it will take them to make the cups if they just planted the tree, though :D

Too funny!!!

post #2342 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post

RCA 5U4G arrived and installed.

Hooked up the Norse Audio 8-conductor headphone cables to the LCD-X's.

Put on some live DMB.

Started grinning.

Last steps will be installing the 6F8G driver tubes when they arrive from Argentina and setting up the turntable (my Christmas gift from the family) on Wednesday.

Then I may not emerge from the man cave until spring.

 

Could you compare your Schiit Gungnir and upgraded WA22 with the LCD-X? Which one is better, or to be more precise, in which areas/aspects does one gear outperform the other?

post #2343 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

Could you compare your Schiit Gungnir and upgraded WA22 with the LCD-X? Which one is better, or to be more precise, in which areas/aspects does one gear outperform the other?

Do you mean the Schiit Mjolnir? The Gungnir is the DAC and is feeding the WA22 and the Mjolnir. (Which is not pictured in that photo).

Yes, I plan to do a thorough comparison between the two amps once the tubes are all in place and both amps have an opportunity to run in. This will likely mean waiting until later in January as both amps need another 100 hours or so and, while I can play the Mjolnir constantly, Woo suggests not running the amp 24/7 for burn in. Plus I'm still waiting on the upgraded driver tubes to arrive.

But fear not, it will come.
post #2344 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

Could you compare your Schiit Gungnir and upgraded WA22 with the LCD-X? Which one is better, or to be more precise, in which areas/aspects does one gear outperform the other?

Do you mean the Schiit Mjolnir? The Gungnir is the DAC and is feeding the WA22 and the Mjolnir. (Which is not pictured in that photo).

Yes, I plan to do a thorough comparison between the two amps once the tubes are all in place and both amps have an opportunity to run in. This will likely mean waiting until later in January as both amps need another 100 hours or so and, while I can play the Mjolnir constantly, Woo suggests not running the amp 24/7 for burn in. Plus I'm still waiting on the upgraded driver tubes to arrive.

But fear not, it will come.

 

Oops, I meant Mjolnir.

 

This would be an interesting comparison since Mjolnir is known to be a very solid-state sounding amp, while the WA22 is a very tube sounding amp. I'm not saying either tube or solid-state is superior to the other, but it should give an insight whether the LCD-X performs well with a tube amp, since previous Audez'e headphones (LCD-2/3) are known to be not such a great match with tube. This is understandable since the LCD-2/3 is already warm and dark sounding and using a tube amp will make them even warmer; the LCD-X, on the other hand, is said to be brighter sounding so my guess is that it is more tube-friendly than the LCD-2/3, but only listening will tell.

post #2345 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesure View Post

RCA 5U4G arrived and installed.

Hooked up the Norse Audio 8-conductor headphone cables to the LCD-X's.

Put on some live DMB.

Started grinning.

Last steps will be installing the 6F8G driver tubes when they arrive from Argentina and setting up the turntable (my Christmas gift from the family) on Wednesday.

Then I may not emerge from the man cave until spring.

Not to give you even more work :rolleyes:, but when things settle down, it would be interesting to hear how your turntable/phono front end compares to a current decent dac; maybe not so much as apples to apples (different technologies, after all) but just in terms of overall enjoyment? 

post #2346 of 5039

Who said that there isn't a Santa Claus, my LCD-X's and XC's have just arrived, perfect timing :dt880smile:

post #2347 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
 

Who said that there isn't a Santa Claus, my LCD-X's and XC's have just arrived, perfect timing :dt880smile:


Was he riding in a sleigh or big brown truck?

post #2348 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
 

Who said that there isn't a Santa Claus, my LCD-X's and XC's have just arrived, perfect timing :dt880smile:

Hah! You pay for it and Santa delivers it...definitely not a good deal.  Since when do you call your wallet "Santa", heheheh!

post #2349 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

Hah! You pay for it and Santa delivers it...definitely not a good deal.  Since when do you call your wallet "Santa", heheheh!

I would guess when you have kids, because then your wallet is definately Santa Claus for the whole family! Brings all the gifts anyway....

post #2350 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post

Oops, I meant Mjolnir.

This would be an interesting comparison since Mjolnir is known to be a very solid-state sounding amp, while the WA22 is a very tube sounding amp. I'm not saying either tube or solid-state is superior to the other, but it should give an insight whether the LCD-X performs well with a tube amp, since previous Audez'e headphones (LCD-2/3) are known to be not such a great match with tube. This is understandable since the LCD-2/3 is already warm and dark sounding and using a tube amp will make them even warmer; the LCD-X, on the other hand, is said to be brighter sounding so my guess is that it is more tube-friendly than the LCD-2/3, but only listening will tell.

Actually, the WA22 and it's little brother the WA6SE, are known to be less euphonic owing to their transformer coupled topology. I too am looking forward to the comparison as I will likely only keep the winner.
post #2351 of 5039

I've asked Frank at toxic cable the following but he referred me to head-fi for advice, so maybe some of you could help me decide:

 

~~I can’t seem to find a clear answer as to which way I should go for cables for my LCD-X + Schiit Mjolnir amp.

 

Kind of a beginner at this but from what I could gather:

Copper cables would sound darker and might be better with vocals. Maybe more natural sounding ?

Silver would sound brighter and would extend bass and provide more treble.

Silver plated copper would be kind of an in-between ?

 

I think the Mjolnir Is considred bright already, so maybe a silver cable would be too much in that regard ?

 

I mostly listen to Metal / Rock if it helps ;o

 

Thank you !

post #2352 of 5039

Don't push the Mjolnir/LCD-X any brighter or make your wallet any lighter.

post #2353 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiya-Jin View Post
 

I've asked Frank at toxic cable the following but he referred me to head-fi for advice, so maybe some of you could help me decide:

 

~~I can’t seem to find a clear answer as to which way I should go for cables for my LCD-X + Schiit Mjolnir amp.

 

Kind of a beginner at this but from what I could gather:

Copper cables would sound darker and might be better with vocals. Maybe more natural sounding ?

Silver would sound brighter and would extend bass and provide more treble.

Silver plated copper would be kind of an in-between ?

 

I think the Mjolnir Is considred bright already, so maybe a silver cable would be too much in that regard ?

 

I mostly listen to Metal / Rock if it helps ;o

 

Thank you !

Don't think about it twice...go copper.  Moreover, if you can get a copper headphone replacement cable (e.g., moon-audio black dragon) it will sound even better.  Believe me, you don't want silver in your Mjolnir.  I have the Mojlnir and it is great driving the LCD-X, but only copper will do...silver makes it way too bright/hot...it's almost as if the LCD-Xs will spontaneously combust!


Edited by figaro69 - 12/24/13 at 1:30pm
post #2354 of 5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

From my experience with Burson and Schiit amps, I found Schiit Lyr to be a fine pairing with both LCD-2 and HE-500, but not LCD-3. The Lyr could also drive the HE-6, but it wasn't ideal. Schiit Mjolnir, on the other hand, was an exceptional pairing with LCD-3, but poor with HE-6 despite delivering more power.

 

The Burson Soloist was also superb with LCD-3, a tad warmer than Mjolnir and IMO better than the Mjolnir when it comes to driving the LCD-3. The Soloist was also one of the best sub-$1K amps I've heard with HE-500, but with HE-6 it was just lacking in power.

 

I think the LCD-X will fare well with both Soloist and Mjolnir, based on what people are saying.

 

I have tried this setup and I have to say the Burson has enough power to drive the Audeze but not make them sing. 

There is plenty of upper bass but not enough of anything else to produce hard-hitting bass. It's a shame really Audeze

seems to have bottomless low end. The Conductor may be a better pairing from Burson.

post #2355 of 5039

The Conductor is excellent with the LCD-2 at least, I haven't heard other Burson amps so I can't speak for them but the Conductor is a great all in one amp.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum