or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 146

post #2176 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

The LCD-X manages to be a darker-sounding headphone and, yet, it still has superb treble (i.e., extended, yet never harsh).  This is quite a feat for Audeze to have accomplished, since most of the time the end result with a darker sounding headphone is veil (e.g., HD650) or rolled off treble (e.g., LCD-2).  To managed both at the same time is simply a coup, which is one of the reasons I consider them to be the best in my collection.

 

When I read descriptions like this it nudges me closer and closer to placing the order.

 

I had the drivers in my LCD-2 replaced a month ago and things have never been the same.  I had rev.1 drivers so of course they had to replace them with rev.2 and the magic just isn't there anymore.  I'm probably going to try out the X to see if it's to my liking.  If not, I'll just have to hopefully find a lightly used pair of rev.1s on the market.

post #2177 of 8661

Finally I've been able to detect a chink in the LCD-Xs armor, one that has been alluded to before (by someone whose name/avatar I don't remember) in this thread: these headphones are not made to be played at lower-than-average (or even average, for that matter) levels.  You have to listen at higher-than-Average (the higher the volume, the happier they are) in order to get the full potential out of them.  The problem is that these headphones are so non-fatiguing because of the darker/"mahogany" sound that you may end up damaging your hearing without even realizing it.  By the way, it's not a matter of power...the RS Darkstar and EF-6 are extremely powerful (at least for these headphones) and still, this issue remains.  If someone doesn't like the sound of the LCD-X, it is because they listen to music at Average or lower-than-Average levels.  At lower levels they can sound uninspiring and grayish.  For lower volume levels something like the T1, HD600, PS1000, and others would, in my opinion, be better...other than that, pure perfection.


Edited by figaro69 - 12/16/13 at 10:34am
post #2178 of 8661

Does the smell of the pads bother anyone here?

 

I feel like intoxicated (not in a good way) by the smell of the leather pads... I don't know if smell plays a role in the smoky ambiance these can recreate (don't laugh, smell can play a role in the overall performance, unless you're used to breath using your mouth...) but I don't like it much.

 

I suppose this will go away with time, but how much? I always HATED the smell of new cars, especially the German ones :o. This is exactly what I get here.

post #2179 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

Does the smell of the pads bother anyone here?

 

I feel like intoxicated (not in a good way) by the smell of the leather pads... I don't know if smell plays a role in the smoky ambiance these can recreate (don't laugh, smell can play a role in the overall performance, unless you're used to breath using your mouth...) but I don't like it much.

 

I suppose this will go away with time, but how much? I always HATED the smell of new cars, especially the German ones :o. This is exactly what I get here.

Oh you don't know? Automobile companies actually have "new car scent" spray products that they deliberately use on new cars to amplify the leather-care/plastic/motor oil odour.

 

Maybe Audeze did something similar :evil: 

 

In all seriousness though it's probably just the leather-care chemical being smelly. If it's making you feel bad then just leave the cans in a well-ventilated spot every night for a week or two.


Edited by jerg - 12/16/13 at 10:40am
post #2180 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

Does the smell of the pads bother anyone here?

 

I feel like intoxicated (not in a good way) by the smell of the leather pads... I don't know if smell plays a role in the smoky ambiance these can recreate (don't laugh, smell can play a role in the overall performance, unless you're used to breath using your mouth...) but I don't like it much.

 

I suppose this will go away with time, but how much? I always HATED the smell of new cars, especially the German ones :o. This is exactly what I get here.

Since I love the smell of new cars, no problem here...but don't worry, just the way the new-car smell goes away eventually, so it will with the LCD-Xs...head/ear sweat will take care of that!

post #2181 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

Finally I've been able to detect a chink in the LCD-Xs armor, one that has been alluded to before (by someone whose name/avatar I don't remember) in this thread

How can you forget my avatar:(?

post #2182 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeskd View Post
 

How can you forget my avatar:(?

Too many posts, my friend, and just too lazy to go back and look...but you were right about this one...High volume level is what this baby wants to feel good!

post #2183 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 

Does the smell of the pads bother anyone here?

 

I feel like intoxicated (not in a good way) by the smell of the leather pads... I don't know if smell plays a role in the smoky ambiance these can recreate (don't laugh, smell can play a role in the overall performance, unless you're used to breath using your mouth...) but I don't like it much.

 

I suppose this will go away with time, but how much? I always HATED the smell of new cars, especially the German ones :o. This is exactly what I get here.

I don't mind it.  I got a second set of pads, velour ones, with my -X.  I haven't opened that bag yet, but I imagine that they smell different.

post #2184 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

Too many posts, my friend, and just too lazy to go back and look...but you were right about this one...High volume level is what this baby wants to feel good!

IMO all of the planars  suffer at low volume....

post #2185 of 8661

:o2smile:

post #2186 of 8661

No bad smell from the earpads that I can detect.

 

Maybe I'm not enjoying the LCD-X as much as I could :smile: but I haven't noticed the need to turn them up to a 'dangerously' high level. In any case, I'm pretty protective of my hearing, so maybe I won't get to experience what they are really capable of!

post #2187 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtle View Post
 

 

When I read descriptions like this it nudges me closer and closer to placing the order.

 

I had the drivers in my LCD-2 replaced a month ago and things have never been the same.  I had rev.1 drivers so of course they had to replace them with rev.2 and the magic just isn't there anymore.  I'm probably going to try out the X to see if it's to my liking.  If not, I'll just have to hopefully find a lightly used pair of rev.1s on the market.

Another person who prefers the rev. 1.  I had the LCD-2 r.1 and sold it to get r.2 and didn't like it so I repurchased a used pair of r.1. 

post #2188 of 8661
With my LCD 2 I remember being surprised how good they sounded at low levels when I got them 2-3 years ago. In particular how much information I could still hear across the board., i.e. still retaining more-or-less the usual LCD2 balance. To get the same satisfaction from my Grado RS1, I had to hear them much louder.

That said, I occasionally crank the LCD2 right up - and they do acquire a whole new dimension of impact and presence at these levels!
post #2189 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post
 

While I hold the HE-6s in high regard, they certainly don't have more sub-bass than the LCD-X (or LCD-3). The FR graphs kinda support that. I'd give them some time for burn in as well. But on my GS-X MK2, the LCD-X are the best headphones I've heard this side of the SR-009s.

 

It is actually true for the sub-bass thing. 

The LCD-X indeed extends deeper and has more oomph in the bass than the HE-6, which rolls off a bit by comparison.

 

But, I still think the HE-6 has a more tactile and textured bass that's overall tighter. The LCD-X feels bloated by comparison. The LCD-X has this "heavy" feeling in sound, as if the bass was bleeding in the mids. i'm quite sure it's not the case but this is something I never experienced in the Hifimans and I'm not sure I like it much. That plus the smell of the pads are my only complaints.

 

For the rest, the LCD-X really is a top notch headphone. I feel the lower treble is more elevated than that of the HE-6, which increase the hiss in music and, more often than not, brings out "bad" recording/compression details. I had a very similar experience with the Alpha Dogs in that region. The HE-6 is elevated in the upper treble but somehow smoothes over this region and the hiss and those nasty details are not there. You can call it a nicely adjusted FR.

post #2190 of 8661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

 

But, I still think the HE-6 has a more tactile and textured bass that's overall tighter. The LCD-X feels bloated by comparison. The LCD-X has this "heavy" feeling in sound, as if the bass was bleeding in the mids. i'm quite sure it's not the case but this is something I never experienced in the Hifimans and I'm not sure I like it much. That plus the smell of the pads are my only complaints.

 

 

And this is where I agree with you for the first time ;), if you read one of my earlier posts, the comparison is present and I believe it is in this thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum