or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audeze LCD-X - Page 142

post #2116 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

If I switch back to the stock cables, the sound seems more flat and 2-dimensional (as crazy as a visual description of the sound can be).

 

What cable are you using?

 

Also, I see you don't own the SR-009 anymore: was your experience with the Studio SIX that revealing?

post #2117 of 8668

Thanks! I'm looking forward to them showing up on my doorstep. Do you think I need to upgrade from the m-stage?

I found the information about the Audeze burn in process on accident. It's at: http://www.audeze.com/update

post #2118 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowry View Post
 

Thanks! I'm looking forward to them showing up on my doorstep. Do you think I need to upgrade from the m-stage?

I found the information about the Audeze burn in process on accident. It's at: http://www.audeze.com/update

Try it with the m-stage.  If you end up asking yourself, "what are all these people talking about? The LCDX is good, but not that good", then you will need to upgrade.  Do you know how many watts of power the M-Stage have?

post #2119 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

 

If I switch back to the stock cables, the sound seems more flat and 2-dimensional (as crazy as a visual description of the sound can be).

 

What cable are you using?

 

Also, I see you don't own the SR-009 anymore: was your experience with the Studio SIX that revealing?

 

At the moment I'm using an ALO Reference cable, which was loaned to us. It is like their HD-800 cable which brings out the bass a bit more. I find that works well with them in my system. I've decided that, while I do like the overall neutrality of the Audeze cans, like the HD-800s, a touch of euphoria gives me the most enjoyable listening experience.

 

Selling my 'stat gear was for a number of reasons. Maybe ultimately the 'stats might be more revealing, but then I'd have a ~$8-10K set-up which I can't use with other headphones and  if I don't like something about the 009s, I can't change anything.


Edited by Currawong - 12/12/13 at 6:59pm
post #2120 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post
 

 

At the moment I'm using an ALO Reference cable, which was loaned to us. It is like their HD-800 cable which brings out the bass a bit more. I find that works well with them in my system. I've decided that, while I do like the overall neutrality of the Audeze cans, like the HD-800s, a touch of euphoria gives me the most enjoyable listening experience.

 

 

+1 on that. ALO Salty Pepper was a nice complement to my hd800.

post #2121 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 

Try it with the m-stage.  If you end up asking yourself, "what are all these people talking about? The LCDX is good, but not that good", then you will need to upgrade.  Do you know how many watts of power the M-Stage have?

After reading around a bit, it doesn't deliver that much power. It was said to work well with the HE-500 and HD800, and it is made with high-impedance headphones in mind.. As the impedance is much lower on the LCD-X, I'll likely need to find a better match. I'd intended to get a better amp anyways, but this may mean I need to do it sooner rather than later.

post #2122 of 8668

a lot of people seem to won the HD800 and an Audeze headphone - the Q? is if to buy one amp that works well with both or buy multiple amps that woth work great wit one but not the other .

what amps will bring out the best of both cans from low / mid /high budget ?

post #2123 of 8668
I, sir, am no millionaire. One all around amp is the best option for me.
post #2124 of 8668

I'm eyeing the soloist atm. search, search, search....read posts, form opinion, search search search

post #2125 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowry View Post
 

I'm eyeing the soloist atm. search, search, search....read posts, form opinion, search search search

The soloist is a great amp...plays virtually every headphone in existence quite well.  Great all-rounder amp.  Although there are definitely better for the LCDX, it will give you a very good idea of what these cans are capable of.  I think the Soloist is a very very good choice.  Maybe you should take a look at the SPL auditor (i.e., the phonitor is too expensive and you get virtually the same amp without the bells and whistles, which I think are kinda over the top).  This could be an ever better choice.

post #2126 of 8668

There is a hum coming out of my Taboo...I have to take care of this before I do some serious listening with the LCD-X (not to mention tube rolling).  Too many electronics stacked up together is likely the cause.  Once I solve the problem, I'll let you know how tubes handle the LCD-X.

post #2127 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro69 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowry View Post
 

I'm eyeing the soloist atm. search, search, search....read posts, form opinion, search search search

The soloist is a great amp...plays virtually every headphone in existence quite well.  Great all-rounder amp.  Although there are definitely better for the LCDX, it will give you a very good idea of what these cans are capable of.  I think the Soloist is a very very good choice.  Maybe you should take a look at the SPL auditor (i.e., the phonitor is too expensive and you get virtually the same amp without the bells and whistles, which I think are kinda over the top).  This could be an ever better choice.

 

Not quite. The Soloist does not do a very good job with my HE-6 (which is understandable), HD800, and even TH900 (which is said to be an easy headphone to drive). It is okay with HD650 and LCD-3 though, and although I don't own it anymore, the HE-500 was a good match with the Soloist. At any rate, I wouldn't call the Soloist a great all-rounder amp... but I do think it might work out well with LCD-X.

 

As for the SPL Phonitor, I wouldn't use it to drive anything other than HD800. It is okay on the HD800, but bad with pretty much everything else.

post #2128 of 8668

GSX and DNA Stratus are good for every can out there. For He6 you're best off with speaker amp, but I have heard the dark star is good for that can.

post #2129 of 8668
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmic View Post
 

 

Not quite. The Soloist does not do a very good job with my HE-6 (which is understandable), HD800, and even TH900 (which is said to be an easy headphone to drive). It is okay with HD650 and LCD-3 though, and although I don't own it anymore, the HE-500 was a good match with the Soloist. At any rate, I wouldn't call the Soloist a great all-rounder amp... but I do think it might work out well with LCD-X.

 

As for the SPL Phonitor, I wouldn't use it to drive anything other than HD800. It is okay on the HD800, but bad with pretty much everything else.

 

While it may not be the best amp with HD800 it does a pretty decent job with it. When I briefly had the chance to listen to hdvd800 ad a headphone meet in Bucharest, I left with the impressions that Soloist is better :)

 

It is very good with LCD-X as well and. 

 

Actually It did a very good job with every headphone I have thrown at it.


Edited by dan.gheorghe - 12/13/13 at 5:01am
post #2130 of 8668

Figaro gave a pretty big nod to the EF-6. I'm betting it would be good for my other phones, too, but it's a bit too expensive for me at the moment.

 

Mjolnir might be an option. I don't have a balanced source, but it has RCA's. The only problem is that I wouldn't be able to run it with either my HD600 or HE500 as I don't have balanced cables for them.

 

Dan, were you speaking of the Soloist or the Phonitor?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum