Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudez'e LCD-Xtagged by joe, 2/21/14
Related Forum Threads
- First Flagship Headphone--Can't decide! Last post on 9/13/14 at 12:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommended cable for Audeze? Last post on 8/21/14 at 7:46pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Divine Moments in Music Last post on 9/21/14 at 6:00am in Music
- Battle of the Modern Planars: LCD-X vs PM-1 vs HE-560 Last post on 8/4/14 at 2:32am in Headphones (full-size)
- Amp/DAC for LCD-X & HD650 Last post on 5/31/14 at 2:56pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Audeze LCD-X - Page 2
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The neutrality axis is: Bright/Cold, Neutral, Warm/Wet. When something sounds neutral it does not have any added coloration and it's thus reference sounding. Off the reference may be pleasing, but it often affects transparency, clarity and emotional engagement. For me that is detactable with both warmer and bright headphones. The latter though I dislike sooner than warmer headphones, because I am sensitive to sharp/hot treble. That is my personal bias.
More bass than it's called for usually pushes a headphone to the warmer side of the scale, and more treble makes it brighter. "More" of both of those, make a headphone just sub-par and none reference.
At this level I would expect improvements at a lower level of analysis than just frequency response. Areas of improvement for Audeze are imo mainly soundstaging and imaging, both which were a bit crippled compared to other top dogs, and decays compared to top stats. I am hoping there's a new driver there too. Now all of this would make me VERY excited about the LCD-X. If it's just a side play on the LCD-3s, then I am much less interested as it still won't come close to top stats imho. The first reports are very promissing though. :)
Edited by negura - 10/5/13 at 5:01am
I have the same question. I have listened to both 2 & 3 and prefer the 2. To my ears it is very neutral in that it sounds a lot like my high end home theater. What differences would this "neutral" phone have? I am interested in the XC as an upgrade from my Thunderpants.
An LCD 2 isn't neutral. An example of some neutral headphones would be the Sennheiser 598, Fostex T50 rp Paradox or the KEF M500. I discuss what neutrality is about in my Paradox video review below. The LCD 2 is a warm headphone with slightly elevated bass.
I already think the LCD3 is the most neutral headphone I have heard, maybe just a hair too bassy in some set ups. So I am pretty curious what Jude means by more neutral. I am even more curious if the LCD-XC maintains a decent soundstage w/ closed back when IME the LCD3's sound stage is already a bit too narrow.
Edited by squallkiercosa - 10/6/13 at 1:50pm
I bet it's a supply and demand thing, so if people start selling off their LCD2 or 3 to get the X, then used prices will have to drop to be competitive. If they keep their 2 or 3 because the X does actually sound significantly different then I would bet the used prices would stay the same. Who knows though, I'm no economist
IMO, not the 2s, but maybe the 3s? if the X is in fact better. If the X is judged not to be better but different, then maybe not. But a lot of people who can afford the LCD-3 can also afford to own both without selling.
- Audeze LCD-X
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › A New Apex product!!! Name it HERE!!! 8 seconds ago
- › Decent in ear buds with iPhone compatibility? ($50-60 range) 26 seconds ago
- › Need a new pair. Please help suggest 48 seconds ago
- › Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90 1 minute ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 2 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 2 minutes ago
- › 2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list... 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 2 minutes ago
- › Need help to test the 20,000 sound tracks music library firmware... 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by moedawg140
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by Audiophile1811
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by hitchhiker
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)