Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › CanJam at RMAF 2013 Preview (And Exclusive Early Reveals!) - Head-Fi TV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CanJam at RMAF 2013 Preview (And Exclusive Early Reveals!) - Head-Fi TV - Page 15

post #211 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

 

ANYTIME!

 

I can't wait to get it back here and live with it for awhile!

The closed-backs knocked me out too

- but the Alpha Dogs are close - I had to just pre-order them after listening!!

 

I'm psyched to hear the new Focals too,

and the Abyss with Cavalli gear

 

So would you say the Alpha Dog sound sig is close to that of the XC?

post #212 of 361
Also, which is more efficient? The XC or the Alpha?
post #213 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by citraian View Post

Also, which is more efficient? The XC or the Alpha?

 

Although I urge you to not take my word for it, since I own neither of them, I would probably guess the Alpha, since its extremely easy to drive (it has been said they're even easier to drive than the Mad Dog)

post #214 of 361
Extremely easy to drive?
Another hyperbole? A joke? Funny either way :-D
post #215 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmaster View Post

Extremely easy to drive?
Another hyperbole? A joke? Funny either way :-D

 

For an ortho, yes, they are. In fact, MrSpeakers says "You can drive the Mad Dog off your iPhone, iPad or almost any other quality portable media device (note that some Android phones won't cut it at all).  That said, to get the most out of your headphones MrSpeakers recommends a good quality separate headphone amplifier and if possible a qualtiy source/DAC."

Although you may not get your moneys worth for them out of an iPhone, the fact that you can drive them out of one means they ARE easy to drive, especially for an ortho.

post #216 of 361

The LCD2 was extremely easy to drive too.  If what Jude said was true about the efficiency of these new Audezes, then these will be extremely easy to drive as well.

post #217 of 361
Well, I found the HE-500 (and - as a matter of fact- the HE-400) easier to drive than my MDs 3.0.

I read many times the LCD-2 is easier to drive than the 500s. Someone called it an "amp slut", even :-D
post #218 of 361
Someone? Everybody knows that slut :P
post #219 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

 

Just for clarification.  My initial impressions of the LCD-X are not merely from meets or store auditions, but auditions w/ my own reference tube headphone rig (both my E.A.R HP4 and ALO Studio Six, plus I also used the CEntrance HiFi-M8). Though my time with it was short, which is why they're only initial impressions.

 

Just wanted you to know I wasn't basing my impressions merely on the Meet experience,

or from the store audition.

 

 

Don't worry I wasn't trying to attack you.

post #220 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemercer View Post
 

 

Just for clarification.  My initial impressions of the LCD-X are not merely from meets or store auditions, but auditions w/ my own reference tube headphone rig (both my E.A.R HP4 and ALO Studio Six, plus I also used the CEntrance HiFi-M8). Though my time with it was short, which is why they're only initial impressions.

 

Just wanted you to know I wasn't basing my impressions merely on the Meet experience,

or from the store audition.

 

How does the ALO studio six sound compared to something like the WA5?

post #221 of 361
I all but definitely am anticipating reading comparisons between the Alpha Dogs and the LCD-cross country(XC). Face it, they're both planar magnetics that so far come with positive first impressions from some very prominent headfiers. I expect the sound signatures to be somewhat different but if the Alpha Dogs can get me 80 or 90% of the way to an LCD-XC experience at less than 1/2 the price, well...

Regarding the LCD-X, I went back and read ASR's mini review/shoot out and it made me wonder the reviewers' consensus will be in regard to what ASR refers to as "scale." Think of the sonic presentation of a violin in the orchestra(ASR's example) vs, on the other hand, John Bonham's drums and Jimmy Page's guitar(both on the other end of the scale spectrum) on "When the Levee Breaks." The LCD-X can be as neutral as all get out but it won't be preferred for classical music if it doesn't get the scale thing right. It's the same old divide between classical music and close miked (usually) pop, rock or jazz.

Esau
post #222 of 361
If I ran Audeze, the only reason I would release a close-as-darn-it-better model but priced lower than my current flagship would be that I have in development a new (better) flagship soon to be released.


But that's just me.

And might Schiit finally go portable?
post #223 of 361
Trans-portable setup?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by x838nwy View Post

If I ran Audeze, the only reason I would release a close-as-darn-it-better model but priced lower than my current flagship would be that I have in development a new (better) flagship soon to be released.


But that's just me.

And might Schiit finally go portable?
post #224 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Trans-portable setup?!

Well, I meant like a portable amp or something. IMO 'transportable' is always an iffy concept - one can transport virtually anything - but since the modi runs off usb, may be a pan-am like amp but magni-sized? But that'd be weird cos Schiit normally do their own schiit and tend not to imitate others concepts... then again, the pan-am is a dac+amp then power supply... may be the schiit is [yet unmaned amsmall amp] + modi?

Actually that wouldn't be too difficult since the modi runs off a wall-wart already. If they just design a battery supply to power it instead...

P.s. I just re-considered my audeze comment in light of the abyss and I think I'm right.

P.p.s. do I get like bownie points if I guess right?
post #225 of 361
.. There's too many situations where a closed headphone would come in handy for me to list.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Head-Fi Network & Industry News
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Head-Fi Network & Industry News › CanJam at RMAF 2013 Preview (And Exclusive Early Reveals!) - Head-Fi TV